Lake Houston Saturday 12/27

bigred90gt

Lake Houston Saturday 12/27

Post by bigred90gt »

Hello all. My name is Caymon, and I'm new to the forum and new to kayak fishing. I have been fishing since I could walk (34 now), starting out fishing only freshwater, primarily Lake Houston, Conroe and Livingston. When I was about 12-13, my dad got rid of his bass boat and bought a Kenner bay boat, and we pretty much gave up fresh water fishing. He ended up in some financial trouble, and sold his boat around 2000, and I gave up fishing.

A buddy of mine lives in an RV park on the bay in Baytown (I'm from baytown and still live there), and they have a nice pier, so we started fishing it a few months ago, and I got hooked again.

I have been talking about buying a kayak for several years, and now that I have started fishing again, I took the plunge ad bought a Wilderness Ride 135 from a member here. I haven't taken it out yet, but plan to this weekend. I've been in kayaks, and I've fished all my life, but I've never fished from a kayak. I have decided that it would be best to get on the lake and get up into a cove or into a bayou to get the feel for fishing from the yak. Much less choppy than the bay.

I am planning to take it into lake houston Saturday to try and catch some bass. I've had a hankering for some bass for a while now, and no means to get to them, till now. I am planning on putting in at the marina on 1960 at the bridge and paddling up to the cove just below the mouth of Luce Bayou. If anyone wants to join me, I'd love the company. I will probably get there around 7:30ish. Weather pending, of course. If anyone wants to go, shoot me a PM and we'll set something up.
MethodMachine

Re: Lake Houston Saturday 12/27

Post by MethodMachine »

Make sure to wear your PFD. Also, dress for immersion and bring an extra set of dry clothes in a dry-bag with you.

Luce Bayou was where I put in for my maiden voyage in a kayak about 2 years ago.

Good luck!
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

I've never done it, but there is a marina on Luce's bayou from which you can launch. Instead of covering open water right away, that might be a safer starting point. Good luck, richg99
bigred90gt

Post by bigred90gt »

Well, that didn't happen. It was supposed to be crappy weather, so I slept in. Woke up to muggy but calm conditions, mad that I didn't go. Oh well, there will be other days. It did give me an opportunity to get a few things I needed as well as some PVC to build a cart for it.

I do have a PFD, actually I have 2 of them, and plan to wear it, but thanks for the reminder. A PFD can't do its job if your not wearing it.
MethodMachine

Post by MethodMachine »

Smart move to watch the weather.

I am in the same "boat" as you--waiting for a break in the forecast. Too bad Christmas day was beautiful and now we have nothing but yuckiness in store for the weekend.

Even if the forecast looks clear, check radar right before you head out. Sometimes they get it wrong.
bigred90gt

Post by bigred90gt »

I ended up going out on Monday instead. It was cold but calm. Learned a valuable lesson: put the scupper plugs in BEFORE you launch and get in. Being cold, and the deck full of water, my feet were numb in short order.

I put in at ponderosa and paddled down to the mouth of the bayou, and into the large cove just south. Didn't have any luck, but spent more time paddling and getting acquainted with the yak than I did fishing. Made my way back to the bayou and just kind of paddled around, stopping every once in a while to chunk a lure. Caught one bass about 10-12". It was small enough I didn't bother measuring it. Overall a good first trip, aside from my numb feet, which made for a tough time getting the yak out of the water and back in the truck. I didn't get feeling back in my toes until I was back on 1942.

It's been a really long time since I've been on Lake Houston, and I had forgotten how beautiful it can be. It was peaceful, aside from one boat full of young idiots who were on plane at full throttle up and down the bayou, not slowing down for anyone else on the bayou.

There were a ton of guys put crappie fishing. One guy kicked back like he was in a recliner, with a huge cigar hanging out of his mouth, running the trolling motor with the foot pedal with 6-8 rods hanging over the front of his boat, lol. Saw 3 guys in kayaks also crappie fishing. Spoke to them for a minute and moved on.

I will eventually get back out on the lake, but now it's out to the bay. First day I get with decent weather, I've already got a plan.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Nice report. But, I wonder about your comment regarding the scupper plugs. Most kayaks, the scuppers are there to let the water drain out.

You get some water in during a launch, or from waves, but it immediately drains away. Proper waterproof boots, and you should be comfortable. Does your yak let water IN? Your weight affects the draining, too..???
bigred90gt

Post by bigred90gt »

Not sure honestly. I weigh 225, with clothes and life jacket probably 235ish, had an ice chest with 2 bags of ice, plus my tackle bag. Probably 260-270 or so total. I think weight capacity in the yak is around 500, so it shouldn't have been that bad. Inside the hull was bone dry so no leaks. When I sat down, the water came in, but I guess the back was a touch lower than the front and the water didn't make its way back out. There wasn't much, but enough to get on my socks when I wasn't paying attention and let my feet sit on the deck. It just soaked into the socks and got my feet wet. Seat was dry, it was just my feet and the cuff on my pants. I probably made it sound worse when I said "full of water". The water was puddled under my feet only. The water that came into the back area where I had my ice chest all drained.

From now on, plugs will stay in and if it starts getting choppy enough to take water over the sides/front, I'll pull em to let it drain.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Yep. Your weight should't be a problem in that yak. Might need a pair of waterproof boots. regards, rich

p.s. my scuppers stay open in the front. But plugged in the seat area. I'm 250 in a Mini-X, whose weight capacity is only 330 or so.
SA_Chris

Post by SA_Chris »

Kayak fishing is wet fishing - I don't even have scupper plugs. This time of year, I wear breathable waders. I don't bother with wading boots unless I plan to do a lot of walking . otherwise I just loosen the straps on my sandals and that works fine. When it's really cold or if I'm going far from shore, I wear a farmer john wetsuit under the waders. You have to think about what you'd do if you were suddenly boatless . . .if you're any distance from shore in cold water you're going to need something like a wetsuit or a dry suit to make it back - especially if you're alone.

Have fun with the new yak - get out there and rip some lips! And post some reports if you got time.