Lake Austin Q&A

Redfish..Yum

Lake Austin Q&A

Post by Redfish..Yum »

Planning on fishing lake Austin this October to prepare for a couple of trips during the spring spawn. This will be my first time fishing it so here are my questions. Thanks for any help. Will all the yahoos be off the lake by October or should I plan an EARLY trip? Is Emma Long a good place to launch from or is there a better launch spot? (I have my hobie on a trailer, launch like a boat) Any specific patterns this time of year to be aware of? (wacky worms, flukes and crankbaits are my primary arsenal) Are these grass beds I read about visible from the surface or are electronics needed?
Redfish..Yum

Re: Lake Austin Q&A

Post by Redfish..Yum »

REALLY? No one on this forum fishes lake Austin? Thanks....
t100

Post by t100 »

Haven't personally fished LA....what I'm reading on face book... Folks have been doing well at the low water crossing.
hoot

Post by hoot »

I used to fish LA 3x week from Spring till late summer when I started going BTB. As far as my trips, I only go during the weekdays early or really late like 2am-6am. There is always some type of boat traffic out there and while some are considerate of the yakkers, a lot of them are not. They will run right by you in those huge wake makers and then the pro-amateur jet skiers are out in force. It is not a wide river so you will be bobbing plenty during peak hours.

When I go out late, there are not too many other boats out there and they are typically friendly fishers as well so everyone kind of looks out for each other and stays out of the way. A lot more peaceful and gives you more time to focus on fishing.
hoot

Post by hoot »

Redfish..Yum wrote:Planning on fishing lake Austin this October to prepare for a couple of trips during the spring spawn. This will be my first time fishing it so here are my questions. Thanks for any help. Will all the yahoos be off the lake by October or should I plan an EARLY trip? Is Emma Long a good place to launch from or is there a better launch spot? (I have my hobie on a trailer, launch like a boat) Any specific patterns this time of year to be aware of? (wacky worms, flukes and crankbaits are my primary arsenal) Are these grass beds I read about visible from the surface or are electronics needed?
I just think wacky rigs work anywhere. Cranks have been ok for me but only during the morning/day. I have been most successful with jigs/craws working ledges. I have never found any substantial grass beds. I think the grass carp tore up any of what was left.
MagicYaker

Post by MagicYaker »

Redfish..Yum wrote:REALLY? No one on this forum fishes lake Austin? Thanks....

HAHA you got no response, that seems to be the case sometimes. Try Facebook, you get way quicker response!
bjackson102

Post by bjackson102 »

I fish LA around the 360 Bridge (Pennybacker), but I fly fish. Last week I have been catching them close to shore around rocks and docks in pretty shallow water lately on a sinking line and closers in size 4 and 6. Colors working are white/chartreuse and white and gray.

I like going up Bull Creek, but it has been pretty muddy lately. The main lake seems clearer and more productive.

I saw a huge bass right by the boat dock near a wooden post at 7:30am in very shallow water.....

They are turning on for sure, IMO.

Brett
Redfish..Yum

Post by Redfish..Yum »

Thanks for the info. guys. Austinbassfishing forum is also a good place to get some reports. Will actually be in town this week for work, so may fish off the bank to see what it is like. Recently restocked my senko arsenal so I will give it a try. Thanks again.