Advice on pitching setup

jackh

Advice on pitching setup

Post by jackh »

I mainly fish on the lower Colorado River. There is some grass, some lilypads, lots of submerged rocks and sunken trees. I would say moderate to heavy cover. After doing some research I thought a 7-7.5' heavy rod with fast action, and a smooth and fast reel is what I needed. I have a G. Loomis GL2 flippin & pitchin rod and Shimano Chronarch 201E7 in my shopping cart on Tackle Warehouse. I can't decide what line I should get, 15-20 lb flouro or heavy braid. How does this setup look to yall? Any advice on line?
TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Advice on pitching setup

Post by TKFStubb »

jackh wrote:I mainly fish on the lower Colorado River. There is some grass, some lilypads, lots of submerged rocks and sunken trees. I would say moderate to heavy cover. After doing some research I thought a 7-7.5' heavy rod with fast action, and a smooth and fast reel is what I needed. I have a G. Loomis GL2 flippin & pitchin rod and Shimano Chronarch 201E7 in my shopping cart on Tackle Warehouse. I can't decide what line I should get, 15-20 lb flouro or heavy braid. How does this setup look to yall? Any advice on line?
You can use this setup to pitch, flip, or froggin! I would spool this wit 30-40# Seagaur Braid to get a secure Hooksett and to be able to MOVE your fish out of the cover. I keep a similar setup (right handed) beside me if I'm not already using it all the time. My other rod will be lighter action for jerk baits, spinner baits, chatter baits and topwaters.
nmYAK4fish

Post by nmYAK4fish »

I would go braid on the frog and flour on the pitching set up. 20lb flouro for pitching and 60lb power pro super slick on the braid. The rod and reel sour like a good setup, good luck out there.
kuyatwo

Post by kuyatwo »

I recommend daiwa samurai braided 40 or 50 lb so you can winch that fish through the weeds and set the hook. You want to use a big hook to in my opinion

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_Sa ... e-DSB.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Moondog94

Post by Moondog94 »

Braid all the way, If it were me I would spool it up with #50 power pro but that just me. With braid you have nearly no stretch in the line when you set the hook which results all the pressure going straight to sticking that hook in the fishes mouth. Braid also cuts through heavy vegetation which is nice when flipping into heavy cover.

Hope this helps
-Moondog
jackh

Post by jackh »

Old thread, but I ended up getting a Dobyns 736 C FH, Shimano Chronarch MG, spooled with 65lb power pro and am very happy with it. I have yanked some decent fish out of nasty stuff.