<<<<<Report>>>>> Lake Woodlands trips

MagicYaker

<<<<<Report>>>>> Lake Woodlands trips

Post by MagicYaker »

About to head out this way. Was looking at going to Bear Branch Resv. but have no exp. there. So I will go with what I know. I will be in a green hornet Jackson Cuda 12 probably start at the southern end at a spot I have had luck at then work my way to the northern end. Say hi if your out there!

Will post report up when I get back.
Last edited by MagicYaker on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
MagicYaker

Re: <<<<<Report>>>>>Lake Woodlands 8-7 Afternoon early evening.

Post by MagicYaker »

Headed out to Lake Woodlands after another hot day of work. Good thing is I am free tomorrow! Started out at the south end near some points and threw a chatterbait with tail. One cast I let it soak for a minute then started reeling in slack slack slack....I'm thinking a fish on at this point. Went to set hook and SNAP...snapped off line. Missed a BIG one.

No more action there so headed to the northern side. Started with crankbait but no action for me. Others out there were having luck. Switched to a Grande Bass Rattlesnake and still nothing. THe other guy hooked up to a nice LMB on pink/ red T-rigged worm. So I switched it up to 10" ZOOM trick worm. Soon after got the skunk out of the boat with a dink. then hooked up to 2 nice size LMB. Got a couple more dinks and then headed back.

Rain came down, and as I was weighing the nicer fish a big thunder clap came down....Def had some heavy rain out there.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-08-07 at 9.52.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-07 at 9.50.03 PM.png
mmwaggie

Post by mmwaggie »

Nice man! Good looking fish. I fish that spot just north of research forest and also south of it as well. I also get some good luck just across from North shore in those two little coves that are separated by that little walk way.

Bear branch reservoir looks like a nice place but to be honest it has so much vegetation right now that you have to fish it weedless and you still get a lot of veggies on the line. It does have some good fish but it's about 1000' foot walk to the ramp so make sure you have a cart and the ramp is not really a ramp.. so good luck with that!
MagicYaker

Post by MagicYaker »

mmwaggie wrote:Nice man! Good looking fish. I fish that spot just north of research forest and also south of it as well. I also get some good luck just across from North shore in those two little coves that are separated by that little walk way.

Bear branch reservoir looks like a nice place but to be honest it has so much vegetation right now that you have to fish it weedless and you still get a lot of veggies on the line. It does have some good fish but it's about 1000' foot walk to the ramp so make sure you have a cart and the ramp is not really a ramp.. so good luck with that!

Good to know...thanks!
MagicYaker

Re: <<<<<Report>>>>> Lake Woodlands trips

Post by MagicYaker »

Went out Friday 8-22 to Lake Woodlands.

Started fishing a watermelon ZOOM trick worm T rigged. Slow bite for the first 3 hours, which surprised me as I have had luck early here before. The first fish I caught was a long skinny bass with a messed up jaw caught in the upper panther creek. He throated the hook so after some reviving he swam off. Fished the area I caught him a little longer and noticed he was belly up. Seemed he had blood going into his belly as it was real distended. Tried reviving him again but no luck swimming off he just sat there trying to swim but nothing.

Left that hole and headed back out to the main lake. After 3 hours and one fish I was about to head back. Saw some action on my depth finder at a nice drop-off so I pitched the ZOOM worm back there. After one more cast WHAM. Fish number two.

I worked that area a little more and then switched to a crankbait tiger shad color. Dragging the bottom ii hooked into something BIG. It was pulling me around but no jumping. So ithought it was a big catfish or gar. It was a 3.8lb LMB foul hooked on its side. Gave me a pretty good tug and ride LOL. Caught about 6 total and the last five were caught all with-in an hour.
Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 9.41.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 1.27.05 PM.png
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 9.42.22 AM.png
nmYAK4fish

Post by nmYAK4fish »

nice fish, thanks for sharing
Ronny

Post by Ronny »

Good job. Me and my daughter went sunday morning, was on the water before daylight went straight to the north end and fished it hard. I only managed 1 small dink and lost it as I got it to the yak. My daughter didn't even do that good. before too long we were met with about 4 other yakkers all trying their luck, one guy was tearing them up and caught at least 2 that were 4-5 lbs, I tried to get close enough to see what he was using and it looked like he was using a silver rattle trap, the only lure not in my possession .
I threw several spinner baits, a black hollow body frog, senko worm wacky rigged , and a square billed crank bait but no luck.
We gave up about 9:30 and went and ate then had to do some shopping at ACK , why cant I go in there and not spend money ? ...lol
BThooey

Post by BThooey »

I am from The Woodlands and I have noticed similar bites this past summer. I would get on the water shortly after sunrise and fish till 10 or 11 before it got to hot. I noticed multiple times that it was hard to find a fish early in the morning. I was very excited about throwing a top water but was soon disappointed more than one morning. Sick reports!

:clap:
MagicYaker

Post by MagicYaker »

Went out 9-20-14 after the storms had passed. Water extremely high and over the concrete border. Water temp around 75. Manged 2 small ones.
Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 9.27.49 AM.png
DirtyTail976

Post by DirtyTail976 »

Nice stuff MagicYaker. I've been checking out the Lake Woodlands area along with Lake Raven further north...been wanting to get some fresh water action in! We'll have to catch up sometime to rip some lips when I can get back on the water.
Ronny

Post by Ronny »

Well you did better than I did, me and my daughter went 9/21 and the water was still high. At least it washed out all the crap on the north end but I didn't even get a bite. usually I run into several other kayak fishermen out there but Sunday we had the whole north end to ourselves, didn't try much else cause they were having some rowing race so we stayed out of the way.
MagicYaker

Post by MagicYaker »

DirtyTail976 wrote:Nice stuff MagicYaker. I've been checking out the Lake Woodlands area along with Lake Raven further north...been wanting to get some fresh water action in! We'll have to catch up sometime to rip some lips when I can get back on the water.

x2
MagicYaker

Post by MagicYaker »

10-4

Managed to make it through the ridiculous I-45 traffic SNAFU and caught some fish. My challenge was the Pink Braid Challenge for breast cancer awareness. Rigged my usual set-ups with 8lb pink braid by Kast King available through Eposeidon.com. Went with a light set-up to have more fun and increase my skills. Caught 5 fish on various tackle, fluke type lure, trick worm and crankbait all produced. Water temp 78 air low to mid 80's Beautiful day.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-10-04 at 6.29.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-10-04 at 6.29.06 PM.png
Tomkat07

Post by Tomkat07 »

Yep it's definitely pink :mrgreen:
BThooey

Post by BThooey »

Those pics up by Research Forest area? I guess the north end?
MagicYaker

Post by MagicYaker »

BThooey wrote:Those pics up by Research Forest area? I guess the north end?
The Creek
Off-Duty_Dad

Post by Off-Duty_Dad »

Hey guys, I'm from over in San Antonio and never been out in that area. Would like a couple of pointers on put-in spots if that would be okay. I have family over in the area and am planning on taking vacation mid November.

After looking at the map, the closest put-in I see is at NorthShore Park, and then paddle up to the creek under Research Forest Dr. Is that the closest spot to get up to that area?

Also, where would Bear Branch Resv be located? I have a cart and would like to at least give it a chance if I'm over in the area.

Thanks guys, hope I'm not crossing any lines by asking advice about someone else's turf.

Be safe everyone,
Off-duty_dad
BThooey

Post by BThooey »

Off-Duty_Dad wrote:Hey guys, I'm from over in San Antonio and never been out in that area. Would like a couple of pointers on put-in spots if that would be okay. I have family over in the area and am planning on taking vacation mid November.

After looking at the map, the closest put-in I see is at NorthShore Park, and then paddle up to the creek under Research Forest Dr. Is that the closest spot to get up to that area?

Also, where would Bear Branch Resv be located? I have a cart and would like to at least give it a chance if I'm over in the area.

Thanks guys, hope I'm not crossing any lines by asking advice about someone else's turf.

Be safe everyone,
Off-duty_dad
Northshore park is the place to put in if you want to get to where you are describing. It is a very easy paddle. That park is (as most in the Woodlands) a well kept area and has park rangers regularly. The creek may be clogged with foliage because it was last time I was out there. The rest of the lakeside close to that part is sadly corporate office land now or residential housing. Git'r done.

_Ben
MagicYaker

Post by MagicYaker »

North Shore park. Or more recently I have actually Parked by the east side construction and put in the water right there. Makes for a shorter paddle.