Lake Austin 7/24

hoot

Lake Austin 7/24

Post by hoot »

I recently started bass fishing, March this year, and I have been hooked since. I started from the banks and realized that if I wanted to get serious then I needed to get mobile. My bro has been yak fishing salt 10+ years so I asked him to look out for a used yak for me. Next thing you know, I own a yak and it has been a wild ride.

When I was young I spent a lot of time fishing the salt but as I grew up, I moved away from fishing and found other interests...Well after my son got a lil older, I decided to take him fishing. Little did I know that it would reignite that fishing fire. Since then, I have spent about 8+hrs a week fishing out of my yak. On that quest to hit a DD. I never really thought about fishing fresh but after I felt the fight of my first quality LMB it was over.

Since then I have spent a LOT of time reserarching presentations, tactics, topology etc but mostly, just a lot of time on the water. I learn by trial and error, a whole lotta error.

Wow that was long winded but I def have a new found respect for these lil green monsters that put up a great fight.

I had some free time today so I launched at 10:15am and left at noon. It was rain/drizzling in the morning so the lake was pretty empty except for a couple of other folks. It was overcast and lil to no breeze. The current wasn't running but I still had high hopes. Whenever you fish LA, you have to be on your game because the DDs are there. Within the first 15 minutes I felt that 'tap' and then next thing you know I was on for a nice lil fight. Everything you can ask for, jumps, dives and pulls. After a solid fight, she finally let me lip her and I knew that she was going to be my PB. My previous PB was 6 lbs and this girl had way more fight.

After weighing her twice, she came in at 7.3 lbs. I thought she was going to be bigger but hey I will take that any day. The quest for a DD still continues but today was one hell of a day.
Attachments
photo-8.JPG
Onelgbass

Re: Lake Austin 7/24

Post by Onelgbass »

Nice fish sir.
realfinnaddict

Post by realfinnaddict »

can't wait to get back on the bird and shake the skunk off from the kats tourney ill be there sep.13 fishing the grande bass tourney
hoot

Post by hoot »

Thanks guys and good luck fishing the GB tourney. The bird has been tough for me the last couple of times out there.
GetBent
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by GetBent »

I use to think bass fishing was dumb. I fished saltwater most my life. Now I live about 45min from Falcon lake and have gotten crazy over bass fishing. I havent caught anything over 3lbs at local lake and have only been to Falcon 2x in my yak. This bass fishing has gotten me crazy about them bucket mouths. Have mercy on my credit card when I do get a dd bass because I have been ocd with lures and yak stuff lately. I just got a trailer so me and a friend can pull our kayaks easier to Falcon. Awesome fish man.
hoot

Post by hoot »

GetBent wrote:I use to think bass fishing was dumb. I fished saltwater most my life. Now I live about 45min from Falcon lake and have gotten crazy over bass fishing. I havent caught anything over 3lbs at local lake and have only been to Falcon 2x in my yak. This bass fishing has gotten me crazy about them bucket mouths. Have mercy on my credit card when I do get a dd bass because I have been ocd with lures and yak stuff lately. I just got a trailer so me and a friend can pull our kayaks easier to Falcon. Awesome fish man.
Thanks man. Yup, I was in the same boat, wasn't that interested in fishing the fresh until I got a lil taste of how them LMBs fight. We are lucky to live close to some premier LMB bodies of water. Salt is awesome but it takes me 3+ hrs to get there. I can decide to go fish fresh on a whim and have everything loaded, packed and a line wet in less than 45 minutes.
MagicYaker

Post by MagicYaker »

I too prefer bass fishing, although a good salty trip every once in a while is needed, fish frys, tacos filling freezer etc. Check out this video of one of the best days of my kayak bass fishing days!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YqOw5T ... h3SyAd8L0Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Part 3 actually has the most fish I have caught in one trip. How many can you count?

If that is a 7+ bass you must be a pretty big guy...no offense but it just looks to thin for a 7lber...Nice fish anyways! GL on the DD!
hoot

Post by hoot »

I don't prefer fresh over salt. It is just convenient for me since I live in Austin. I just like to fish.

Yea, I'm not a fan of taking pics of my fish in front of the camera with my arms completely extended. Here are a couple of other pics of her.
Attachments
photo-9.JPG
photo-10.JPG
HighPlainsDrifter

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

Great looking fish. When I was going to school in Austin, I would never pass up an opportunity to fish Lake Austin in OVERCAST conditions. NEVER pass up overcast conditions on Lake Austin.
Late Bloomer

Post by Late Bloomer »

OUTSTANDING fish! Thanks for posting
hoot

Post by hoot »

Thanks fellas. Yup, I love me some overcast days.

I may have just changed my priorities since going BTB for the first time this past weekend at BWKC...I was all about chasing down the DD, but now I may be saving my trips to hit up the coast. I need to find some sort of balance.
AnytimeAngler

Post by AnytimeAngler »

Nice fish!
TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by TKFStubb »

not too shabby! That tap and tug, and especially the topwater blowup can really keep those primitive juices flowing.
hoot

Post by hoot »

AnytimeAngler wrote:Nice fish!
Thanks AA, hey you are in my neck of the woods. You ever fish Brushy?
hoot

Post by hoot »

TKFStubb wrote:not too shabby! That tap and tug, and especially the topwater blowup can really keep those primitive juices flowing.
Thanks TStubb! Oh man, there is nothing like a topwater blow up. Every time I go out, I always start with topwater exactly because of what you are talking about. Unfortunately, the topwater bite has completely shut off for me lately. But I still always start with it.

I
AnytimeAngler

Post by AnytimeAngler »

Salt, yes, I've fished Brushy a couple times as it's about a mile from my house. To tell you the truth, although some folks like it, I'm not a big fan. First off, the distance from the parking lot to the launch is about 100 yards, and it makes launching my Hobie PA a pain in the neck - and back! Also, although Brushy Creek is relatively wide on the east side of Parmer, it is a creek. The depth is very random and can go from 16' to 1' very quickly, and it's hell on my mirage drive (even with my depth finder). Most of the fish I've caught have been in the skinny water behind the soccer fields, where you deal with super shallow water, excessive muck, and lots of bank fisherman with multiple lines in an area 20 yards wide. I know the drop offs are normally exactly what you'd look for, but the fish I've caught there have all been under 2 lbs., so it was hardly worth the effort.

Now I've seen some YouTube videos of folks pulling big fish from out of there, so I know they're there! And a lighter shallower yak might make all the difference in the world, but for me, I'd rather drive an extra 30 minutes and fish LBL, LA, or Walter Long.

If I'm missing something out there, I'd love for someone to let me know!
hoot

Post by hoot »

AnytimeAngler wrote:Salt, yes, I've fished Brushy a couple times as it's about a mile from my house. To tell you the truth, although some folks like it, I'm not a big fan. First off, the distance from the parking lot to the launch is about 100 yards, and it makes launching my Hobie PA a pain in the neck - and back! Also, although Brushy Creek is relatively wide on the east side of Parmer, it is a creek. The depth is very random and can go from 16' to 1' very quickly, and it's hell on my mirage drive (even with my depth finder). Most of the fish I've caught have been in the skinny water behind the soccer fields, where you deal with super shallow water, excessive muck, and lots of bank fisherman with multiple lines in an area 20 yards wide. I know the drop offs are normally exactly what you'd look for, but the fish I've caught there have all been under 2 lbs., so it was hardly worth the effort.

Now I've seen some YouTube videos of folks pulling big fish from out of there, so I know they're there! And a lighter shallower yak might make all the difference in the world, but for me, I'd rather drive an extra 30 minutes and fish LBL, LA, or Walter Long.

If I'm missing something out there, I'd love for someone to let me know!
Are you launching from the furthest parking lot from Parmer? The parking lot to the launch is pretty close. I live right next to it as well. I'm not a big fan either but it is really close to my house and whenever my son wants to go with me, that is where we go. WE have had a lot of luck fishing the dam and the golf course banks.

My buddy just pulled a 5lber out of there last week. Most of my fish have been in the 1-3lb range but I don't remember a time that I have been skunked from the yak.

But yes I completely agree, I would much rather do the 30 min drive to LA haha. Monsters in there except you can't go during normal hours cause of all the PBs and the 80k wake boats.
AnytimeAngler

Post by AnytimeAngler »

Thanks for the info. I'll probably try the dam and south banks the next time I get out there. If you're ever looking for a 2nd or 3rd, PM me.
hoot

Post by hoot »

AnytimeAngler wrote:Thanks for the info. I'll probably try the dam and south banks the next time I get out there. If you're ever looking for a 2nd or 3rd, PM me.
Will do!