Hook set failures

Wobblebob

Hook set failures

Post by Wobblebob »

I really hope this doesn't come off too stupid, but here goes nothing.

Still pretty green to Yak fishing but i'm not new to bass fishing. i am noticing that i'm loosing a lot of fish that i normally wouldn't loose. Im fishing from a Moken 10 and every time i get the fish to the boat he spits the worm! pretty frustrating. Have any of you experienced this? if so how should i go about correcting this? Is there a little hook set tip any of you guys can give me?
yakinjunkie

Re: Hook set failures

Post by yakinjunkie »

This happens to me too. I am also interested in others feedback.
I think my problem is I am to worried about dipping my reel in the water to lip it and slack gets in the line. When fishing out of a boat I would normally just swing it in the boat with no pause from reeling.
MagicYaker

Post by MagicYaker »

You can flip it up in your kayak much like a PB. Haven't lost many that I can remember right by my yak. What I try to do is keep them in the water if they are bigger3-4lb plus then lip em. otherwise i flip them up. Also what hooks are you using? Wide gap off set works and off set straight shaft for me for soft plastics Texas rigged. Also make sure your setting the hook hard from sitting in the yak as you can't really torque it unless your standing up which if you are then you know what Im saying. Anyway best of luck hope this can help.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

I, too, have lost more bass lately. I have been attributing it to a change to a shorter, softer rod. I really don't know if that is the answer. Rich
Wobblebob

Post by Wobblebob »

Interesting Business, Im using wide gap and straight hooks without any offset. i will try to use a stiffer tipped 7' rod and off set hook next Friday and see if it makes a difference! ill try to remember to post if i was successful or not. Thanks for the replies gents!
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Yep. I've switched to thinner, sharper, offset hooks, hoping that that would help.
CamoCuda

Post by CamoCuda »

Same exact experience as what Richg99 stated. Recently got a shorter, softer, lighter spinning rod & reel- figured it would be more fun for the smaller river bass.
It's more fun, but I've lost a lot more fish. Next time out I'm going to try my old rod & see how it compares.
My guess is that too much of a finesse rod combined with sitting in a yak & the current, etc detracts from a solid hookset.
Once hooked lighter action rods help keep the tension, but definitely are the superior setup for hooksets.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Yea, I got mine so I could more easily flip plastics under branches, etc. It works great for that, but not for sticking 'em. richg99
13MWZ

Post by 13MWZ »

I too have been loosing fish right at the yak. I figured it was for the same reason yakinjunkie mentioned. So I just started using my net more often. They can spit the hook all they want, makes it easier on the both of us, but very doubtful theyre getting out of the net until I've gotten my picture and release them.
dandturtle830

Post by dandturtle830 »

My short rod i use my rapala's jerk bait's. I too like a shorter rod when fishing rivers I can toss it under them cyrpress trees. Which with that lure i dont really even set the hook. Now drop shoting i lose one to probally every 3-5 catches. not sure why that happens but it does.
Predator130

Post by Predator130 »

Sometimes you have to set the hook however you can but in a kayak sometimes you're at an odd angle. In order to increase my hook-set power I always make sure to reel down and take the slack out of my line before I pop it to them. I shouldn't say always but I always try to. Reeling it down also gives them an extra second to get the hook deeper so the hook penetrates the softer flesh behind the lips.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

I do a combination of a lot of things previously mentioned.

I reel down before a hookset, taking as much slack in as I can. I set the hook straight up (on EWGs and offsets). I keep my rod tip up (especially at the side of the boat when we have a tendency to lean over to the fish, giving slack). I usually lip small guys, but biguns I pull into my net. I think the biggest tip of all would be to keep the rod tip up with no slack in the line.
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

Some times the fish just mouths the bait and you do not get any hooks in the fish. Did you check the bait to see if the hook pulled through the hook and exposed the hook or did it just bunch up on the crook part of the "j"?

If hook came through then I would say you need to get a stiffer rod with a soft tip if you want to keep the feel of the bait but get the hooking power of the butt of the rod.

Remember that in a yak, no matter what you do, the yak will move very easy toward the pull of the rod and you will not have the same power an in a boat...

I think I have covered all the point, but I know there are other factors mentioned above from other member of the board.

Good Luck
TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by TKFStubb »

Here's some sage advice.... when you load up to go, take along 2,000 Hooksett... and try to use ALL of them on that trip!
Which means if you need to set the hook more than once,DO IT!
We are at a disadvantage in a sitting position in a trippy kayak. We can't lean into a Hookset and walk three steps to make sure its set like in a Bass boat so we might have to take advantage of our low angle and set the hook again when the angle is better... and again ...and again!
Swinging it in the boat is good and using the scoop method works too. Most bass are temporarily paralyzed when you scoop them up under their belly. Try it.
Fishinintx

Post by Fishinintx »

Also when a fish is up beside the yak, we tend to have the rod higher than when in a boat since we are closer to the water. That changes the whole angle of leverage on the fish. Keep the rod low to the water will help with spit hooks.
yakinjunkie

Post by yakinjunkie »

I got a new 8 ft rod and haven't lost a fish at the yak yet. I think it has more to do with the actual hook set and the fact I'm more comfortable just slinging them in my lap now instead of trying to lip them in the water.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

In the olden days, youngsters ( me ) were first taught to fish by using a long, spindly, cane pole. Much of the time, the hook set was done by simply raising the rod.

Think about it. The hook was jammed straight up into the fish's mouth. Very effective, and we lost few of those panfish.

It seems that your longer eight foot rod parallels that motion.

Good post and discussion.

richg99
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Forever Fishing »

Gamukatsu & braid have been a very effective combination for me. Trokar hooks have under performed relative to the Gamus. in my experience. Multiple hook sets can work but don't allow slack in your line. Setting the hook when line is taught takes some practice. If they are trying to jump lighten your pressure on the fish and let them play out. Lipping bass after they play out works for me.

Works for me.
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

If you're worming,
1. Make sure your hook is very sharp. Very few come out of the package sharp enough, although more manufacturers are turning out premium hooks that are sharp enough out of the package.
2. Instead of making sure all the slack is out of your line, lower the rod tip and create some slack.
3. Set the hook like you mean it! You don't need to roll your kayak over, but using a long enough -- and stiff enough -- rod, and throwing a little slack in your line, you snap the rod up from the slack. That hook will bury up. Think of it like hitting a golf ball; if you start your swing with the club against the ball it won't go as far as if you hit it with the club already at full velocity. I always wormed with a levelwind, and I prefer monofilament on one, but if you use braid do everything the same while using a somewhat more limber rod.

When I was guiding the two biggest problems I saw when worming were dull hooks and wimpy hooksets. I always preferred Tru-Turn worm hooks, but they ALWAYS needed to be sharpened before use. It doesn't hurt to touch them up several times a day, either. Keep a good file handy, and learn how to use it.
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

Something else that just occurred to me: If you are having a low percentage hookup day with a Texas rig, check your weight for tooth marks. I have seen days when the bass would just clamp down tight on the worm and sinker (I usually pegged mine against the worm) and forcing the sinker through the fish's jaws would slow down the hookset enough that the hook wouldn't penetrate well. I'd lose an inordinately large number of fish on those days, and using lead sinkers, they would become shiny. When that happens, try pegging the sinker a few inches above the worm, or remove the peg. You'll get hung up a little bit more doing that, but you'll get more good hooksets. And if you do peg your sinkers, buy a needle threader and use rubber bands to peg them. The rubber won't nick your line, the sinker can be slid up the line to retie a hook, and when a fish is doing a lot of headshaking and jumping the sinker will slide up the line on its own. That makes it harder for the fish to throw the hook.