FLW tournaments

bNugs

FLW tournaments

Post by bNugs »

Anyone ever done one of the FLW tournaments as a non boater? Seems pretty interesting to be able to pay half what the pros pay for an entry fee and get to ride in their boat and fish the "good spots" even if it is from the back half. Just looking for anyone's experiences and estimated cost of what you pitched in for gas, dunno what gas in a boat costs but $150 entry fee plus gas isn't to bad for a cool experience
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: FLW tournaments

Post by FishingSETX »

If i was to guess, id say You can probably plan to spend at least $80-$100 in fuel for your half depending on location. Those guys make some serious runs with big outboards. I'd guess they have 40 gallon tanks minimum and on some days may burn two tanks.
Fishinintx

Post by Fishinintx »

They are a blast. I have fished pro side and non boater side once and either way can be fun. Typically 80-100 is about correct now. You don't have to actually pitch in for gas and stuff at these. It's not a requirement since he's running that far with or without you. There are some strict rules, like you can't cross to the front of the boat etc and sometimes you will get ignored and back boated.
WideGlide

Post by WideGlide »

I've fished the FLW for the last two years now as a non-boater and it really is a good time. Typical contribution for gas is $40, you're not trying to fill their entire tank but you should put at least that in. If you think about the time that most boaters put towards prefishing the tournament and hopefully putting you on the fish it's worth it. Last year I got lucky enough to win one of the tournaments and took home $1800 plus a contingency prize for $500 more. Now that was a good weekend :D . So for $100 you get to fish with someone that has a boat for the day and have a chance at winning a few bucks. Totally worth it. Last year was my first year and I finished 10th overall for the division but this year I've been skunked a few times so I'm way back around 67th I think. Either way I'm having fun doing it so don't be too apprehensive about trying it.

Phil
WideGlide

Post by WideGlide »

I've fished the FLW for the last two years now as a non-boater and it really is a good time. Typical contribution for gas is $40, you're not trying to fill their entire tank but you should put at least that in. If you think about the time that most boaters put towards prefishing the tournament and hopefully putting you on the fish it's worth it. Last year I got lucky enough to win one of the tournaments and took home $1800 plus a contingency prize for $500 more. Now that was a good weekend :D . So for $100 you get to fish with someone that has a boat for the day and have a chance at winning a few bucks. Totally worth it. Last year was my first year and I finished 10th overall for the division but this year I've been skunked a few times so I'm way back around 67th I think. Either way I'm having fun doing it so don't be too apprehensive about trying it.

Phil