central Tx yakers?

centex huddchunker

central Tx yakers?

Post by centex huddchunker »

Just upgraded my fishing by getting my first SOT kayak, looking for any kayakers in the bell county area that would be willing to share some tips or decent fishing spots.

Thanks and tight lines!
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: central Tx yakers?

Post by jhb »

Give us a little better description of your location chunker. I say I'm from Cen Tex and I'm near New Braunfels. Grandma says she is from Cen Tex and she lives in Waco... that's about 130 miles difference.
centex huddchunker

I'm around the Temple/Belton area. About 40 miles south of Waco.
schoNUFF

Post by schoNUFF »

Lake Georgetown - great undeveloped lake but lots of motorboat traffic.
Granger Lake - never been but I've heard it's great for crappie and sandies.
And then there's this site - http://www.austinkayak.com/launchpoint" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have fun on the water!
centex huddchunker

Very helpful site, thank you for the reply.
Off-Duty_Dad

Post by Off-Duty_Dad »

If you're willing to make the drive, Lady Bird Lake on the south side of Austin. No gas powered watercrafts at all. Lots of kayaks, canoes, and SUPs there. But it's plenty big enough for everyone to share and have ample space to enjoy whatever types of activities they are enjoying. It's a great lake to visit, and I have encountered some really nice and polite people down there, well I would say up there, I'm from the San Antonio area. It's about an hour and 15 minutes drive for me, and it's well worth the trip.
WLShafor

Post by WLShafor »

<---- Austin TX area always willing to hook up and share tips and locations as well as good times.
illest23

Post by illest23 »

Im a newb too but whenever the white bass start running head to gravel crossing road and launch from there. Its the river which feeds into stillhouse hollow lake. Water is low so you wont have to worry about the motor boats and pretty much have the river to yourself. I tried it out this past weekend for first time but caught nothing.
civilaggie2011

Post by civilaggie2011 »

Stillhouse is a bunch of fun to fish if you can find a calm day.

Use fluorocarbon leaders or mainline, that is some super clear water.
HighPlainsDrifter

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

x2 on stillhouse..........there are some big fish in that lake. They can be extremely finicky though. I would definitely stick to fluorocarbon only. I'm biased towards Seagar invisx..... consistently catch more fish using that than any other fluorocarbon. Watermelon/redgltr senkos,flukes always do well there. Good luck.
nrcspm

Post by nrcspm »

I live half mile from lake Belton. I've tried fishing the open lake on several occasions but not much luck. Weekends and holidays are busy times on the lake. The upper reaches of the Leon river can produce some nice catches. Put in at iron bridge park and paddle all the way to the log jam. There's hardly any power boats up that far. Perhaps others have better luck or advice. Another good spot to paddle and wet a hook is the Leon below the spillway. You can put in at the park and paddle down to summer fun water park and back. And fish the whole way.
WLShafor

Post by WLShafor »

Down to fish and chill if anyone's close to Round Rock
hickoxp

Post by hickoxp »

I live in Temple and pretty much spend my time fishing Stillhouse's north end. I am still learning and look to do some different things this year.

I would be out on the lake this weekend except my dog knocked me off my bike. Road rash and an amazing amount of pain in my shoulder are keeping me from paddling.

Look up Park Road, Harker Heights. There is a boat ramp there and moving up channel is not much of an effort.
Atxhobieman

Post by Atxhobieman »

I'm a slight newb (1.5 yrs in...) and I'm taking a newb out this Sunday morning either to lady bird or lake Austin,Georgetown, or decker if anyone wants to join or has advice on what to throw or locations at these lakes...
13MWZ

Post by 13MWZ »

I'm in Waco. If your ever up this way hit me up. Tomorrow will only be my second time out on the kayak.
plentl65

Post by plentl65 »

Live in Waco as well and have been wanting to do some fishing on the Bosque.
PayneFish

Post by PayneFish »

I'm in Temple. Sent you a PM.
Sam Stephens

Post by Sam Stephens »

Will be going out to Granger next week , send me a PM if anybody wants to meet up...

,,,,Sam,,,,
-KenB

Post by -KenB »

Stillhouse Hollow was very nice this morning.
noethss

Post by noethss »

I'm in Leander so let me know win and where. Trying to make a run to Calaveras Lake this weekend.

Steve
readyrev

Post by readyrev »

I'm in the Temple Belton area as well- Would agree with the spots others have posted- Stillhouse, upper Leon, Leon below the dam. Also just out from Temple Lake Park- just up the lake, with the park still in plain view, there is decent hybrid striper fishing. Hang on if you light in to one of those in a yak though!
the mike

Post by the mike »

N.W.Austin here. Love fishing the surf from Poart A. to Bob Hall. Have two well drive F.150,so do not venture too far south . Also fish fresh water,as clean up time is alot shorter. Mike
Rotag

Post by Rotag »

I live in Austin now and just got into a postion to fishe a lot more so if anyone is looking for company PM me

Thanks
Scrumptrelecent

Post by Scrumptrelecent »

I'm back and forth from Temple and Leander. Lady Bird Lake has produced some bass and a pissed off snapping turtle for me. I thought I was reeling in a log. I've bass fished stillhouse and belton. I've caught a few at lake belton when the bass were bedding and the water was clear. Only been to Stillhouse once and the wind was just too much. I'm also down to take a trip down to some salt water. I'm pretty familiar with the Matagorda area and am trying to get more experience at Corpus.
Rotag

Post by Rotag »

I just moved into Austin from Liberty Hill in North Austin hitting Lady Bird in the morning