Fishing vacation disguised as a family vacation

goredho

Fishing vacation disguised as a family vacation

Post by goredho »

Pretty sure I'm not alone in this boat. I have a wife and kids. Wife hates fishing, loves spas. Kids like fishing, but aren't old enough to do it seriously (attention span is maybe 2 hours max). I love fishing almost as much as I love my kids and maybe more than I love my wife, so... I would like to see if anyone has good destination/lodging suggestions for a fishing trip disguised as a family vacation. In reality, this is 1-2 days out of a 7 day trip that I would go fishing, preferably for things I don't normally get to fish for. A few ideas I had...

1. A beach resort in an area known for good fishing, maybe Costa Rica or Cabo San Lucas. Family gets the beach, spas and all the resort stuff, I would need to find a local guide/charter to go catch fish.

2. Summertime at a ski resort like Breckenridge. The resort has all sorts of family activities like zip lines, spas for the wife, and there are local fly shops to direct me/hire a guide out of for a day or two of fishing on a weeklong trip.

3. Dude ranches in Wyoming or Montana. Lots of kids activities, fishing is almost always high on the activity list. Probably wouldn't have a spa for the wife, but I could probably convince her to "rough it" for a week.

Anyone else done something like this and have a spot that wound up being particularly great for family time and feeding the fish addiction?
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Re: Fishing vacation disguised as a family vacation

Post by Mythman »

Personally, I would pick number 1.

I caugh 3 of these and a blue marlin in one hour off Costa Rica

Other activities were zip lining, ATV riding, monkey tour, rain forest, beach and many, many other activities..............something for everyone............very friendly people.
goredho

Post by goredho »

Mythman wrote:Personally, I would pick number 1.

I caugh 3 of these and a blue marlin in one hour off Costa Rica

Other activities were zip lining, ATV riding, monkey tour, rain forest, beach and many, many other activities..............something for everyone............very friendly people.
Awesome! Any specific resorts/lodges/guides? Was that gulf or pacific side?
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mythman »

Pacific side...........Los Sueños, Costa Rica

http://www.vacationscostarica.com/packa ... s-fishing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck..............you won't be disappointed.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Man, all those sound good, can I come as a chaperone?

Been to Quepos/Manuel Antonio area of Costa Rica. Lots of fishing opportunities like Rooster Fish, Marlin, Sailfish all relatively close to the beach. Great nature watching, sloths, monkeys. Awesome zip lines ( way cheaper than USA) with spectacular runs. Great whitewater rafting, but it was pretty intense in a good way. Downside is that it seemed a little more complicated to arrange transportation than your average place and getting to and from Airport in San Jose was not something you would do on your own. You need a driver and a local guide. There are plenty of other places in Costa Rica that might be easier to get to.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mythman »

It's a 3rd world country & the drivers are all over the roads. I, too, suggest a driver......at least until you get to your base of operations. If U go to Costa Rica.....I can refer you to a driver who spent quite a few years in the USA & he speaks excellent english.
goredho

Post by goredho »

Thanks for the driver suggestions.
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

While I like the idea of Costa Rica, another option is Pagosa Springs. There are shops, tubing, spa and more shops in Durango. Hiking and a river runs through it. Trout fishing is good except in the Animas north of Durango. Change of scenery too.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Wasn't the Animas river the EPA (idiots) disaster site? They dumped minerals in by mistake and turned the river orange? Wonder if that has recovered yet.

Durango is a beautiful place. I imagine that the ski resort (Purgatory) has some kind of summer fun using the slopes, too.

richg99
goredho

Post by goredho »

richg99 wrote:Wasn't the Animas river the EPA (idiots) disaster site? They dumped minerals in by mistake and turned the river orange? Wonder if that has recovered yet.

Durango is a beautiful place. I imagine that the ski resort (Purgatory) has some kind of summer fun using the slopes, too.

richg99
Yeah, I lived in Durango for 4 years in the mid 90s, Great spot to be a fishing/snowboard bum in your 20s. Not sure why I didn't think of it.
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

richg99 wrote:Wasn't the Animas river the EPA (idiots) disaster site? They dumped minerals in by mistake and turned the river orange? Wonder if that has recovered yet.

richg99
Yes it is. The gold king mine is in Silverton. What an absolute waste. I spent the a few days the last couple of summers packing in Chicago Basin. The Animas was a beautiful river. Still plenty to do away from that area.