Colorado Question

hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Colorado Question

Post by hipshot »

In 2016 the wife and I would like to drag the fifth wheel up to Colorado for a week or so. I have no idea where to go there. We are looking for a spot with RV hookups (but not in an urban area -- we don't want to hear nonstop traffic and construction clamor) and some nice trout fishing close. I prefer a stream or river over a pond or a lake. The fishing doesn't have to be world-class, but it has been a lot of years since I have gotten to fish for trout, and I would like to enjoy some great scenery, a pretty stream, and some pretty trout. I'm looking for recommendations on places, and the best time of the year to go. I don't care to tow the fifth wheel through a lot of snow, but I understand that the high country often gives us some snow early or late; I can deal with a little bit of it. In 2013 up in Wyoming I took us through Togwotee Pass in a dense blizzard towing the RV........... the wife still hasn't forgiven me.

Anyway, the ideal location would be a facility with full hookups, or at least electric & water with dump station, next to a wadeable river or stream with enough trout for me to catch a few every day, and not have to compete with crowds to do it.

Looking for recommendations for locations and for the best time of the year to do it.

Thanks.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Colorado Question

Post by karstopo »

I'm not an R/V owner and have no first hand experience with this park other than driving by it many times. The park looks nice from my untrained eyes and it's on a river that based on elevation is sure to have some trout. The park runs along a decent section of the river and there isn't any major high altitude passes on the way from Texas. Off hwy 84 on the way to pagosa springs.

http://blancoriverrvpark.com/amenities/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

I am not a regular to Colorado fishing/vacationing, but have traveled the state from one end to the other.

One of my favorite spots is Platoro, Co. on the Conejas river. Not sure Platoro has a RV park (I always stay in the cabins there), but there should be RV parks up and down the Conejas River. Very off the beaten track with outstanding fishing. The last time there two of us limited out on trout, within an hour, where the Conejas river run into Platoro reservoir..........every day for three days. Got tired of eating fresh caught trout.

Look up Platoro on the internet and also the Conejas River...........it has good trout fishing up and down the river.

Good luck.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Mythman wrote:I am not a regular to Colorado fishing/vacationing, but have traveled the state from one end to the other.

One of my favorite spots is Platoro, Co. on the Conejas river. Not sure Platoro has a RV park (I always stay in the cabins there), but there should be RV parks up and down the Conejas River. Very off the beaten track with outstanding fishing. The last time there two of us limited out on trout, within an hour, where the Conejas river run into Platoro reservoir..........every day for three days. Got tired of eating fresh caught trout.

Look up Platoro on the internet and also the Conejas River...........it has good trout fishing up and down the river.

Good luck.
I've heard nothing but good stuff about the Conejos River. Easy to get to via hwy 17 north of Chama NM or up 285 in NM
http://www.conejosrivercampground.com/about" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by karstopo on Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Another one on the Conejos, looks geared towards trout fishing
http://www.canonbonitorv.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

Thanks Guys. What's the best time to go?
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

The monsoon hits typically in early July meaning almost daily thunderstorms in the high country. But most of the day is free of rain. I like to be up there when it's blazing hot here. At 8,500 ft, you can expect highs in the low to mid 80's and lows in the low 50's in July and August in Southern Colorado. River flows increase in April and May with snow melt and then drop in June and pick up in July depending on the strength of the summer monsoon. The flows tend to drop late in August and into September. You get color changes with the aspen and cottonwood in late September into October. Bow season starts in late August in The national forest, then there is a break from late September to early mid October when rifle season hits.

I was in that same general area this past early October and we had days in the high 60's and nights in the high 20's. Snow becomes an issue at 8,500 ft most years in November.
oldsalt

Post by oldsalt »

I don't know what the fishing is like but I seen several fishing the upper Rio Grande near Creede. Co. Several camp grounds along the river with hook ups. Palisade being the most popular. Creede is a scenic old mining town. On up 146 to Lake City many call it North Texas is on a river with lot of fishing and 4 wheeling. I don't rv so can't recommend any parks.
jukebox

Post by jukebox »

I know I'm late to the table here but I agree with the Conejos comments. My folks have a cabin in Rock Mountain Estates and we go up there every year. Fishing is great pretty much up and down the river. Up by Platoro Reservoir is nice, but thats a haul with a 5th wheel. That road will beat you up pretty good. But if you plan on staying a while its worth it.
mike35

Post by mike35 »

look into the Estas Park area, Rocky mountain national park. Lots of RV hookups, and Lots of fishing. also look into the Grand Mesa in Mesa County. LOTS of fishing there, also the Delta/Montrose area. if you looking to do some lake fishing for BIG browns there is a lake there named Ridgway Reservoir. Ive caught many of big browns there. River fishing or stream fishing look into the Gunnison River Pleasure park.....great people great place to stay.
addseo1115

Post by addseo1115 »

Useful posts and links.
Thanks for posting.
I have learnt many things here.
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by hipshot »

Thanks for all the replies. Based on those, and some research, and Google Earth exploring, I found several good RV parks on the Conejos. Now, unfortunately, we will have to cancel the trip, but I may get to try it another year. I also have an old friend up in Kalispell, Montana, working for the Flathead County SO. I may take a trip up there some time in the next few years and fish with him, but I'd probably leave the RV behind if I get to do that one.

If I had to choose between fresh and salt water fishing, I'd definitely choose salt. But I got to do a lot of trout fishing as a kid, and I surely do miss it.
Squatch

Post by Squatch »

New to the site but not Colorado, if plans change I would suggest Dolores, been hunting in that area for over 10 years, all sorts of things to do n see; man n wife, from shopping, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, yaking, etc. usually camp out around lizard head but wife has come before n we stay at the Outpost n Dolores, rt on the river with great fishing and great owners. Any questions about area or things to do out there feel free to contact me; not business or monetarily attached, just love it out there!