Fall Trip Ideas Needed

pearlbeer

Fall Trip Ideas Needed

Post by pearlbeer »

Hey. My Kayak Group (8-10) has gone on an annual Fall trip every year for close to a decade. We have almost always done the Devil's River. But, we are itching for a different trip this year.

I'm thinking saltwater. Can anyone recommend any really good 3-4 night salt water fishing trips? We are pretty flexible, on details - camping or not....whatever. We will be driving from Austin as well, so we need to factor in the transport time.

I've been looking for some sweet places to find some great salt fishing in LA or something. Chandeleur Islands? Any ideas and/or outfitters would be super helpful.

Note: we will target late Oct/early Nov for the trip.
Part-time gypsy

Re: Fall Trip Ideas Needed

Post by Part-time gypsy »

LA marsh can be amazing that time of year with massive redfish. Trout and flounder should be available as well. Narrowing down where to fish is the biggest issue as there is massive amounts of flats/marsh to pick through. Cocodrie, Grand Isle, Myrtle Grove, Delacroix or Shell Beach would all offer the chance to catch lots of big fish.

Cocodrie is isolated with a couple of marinas and outfitters, but not much related to kayaks and amenities are fairly light. Across the bay in Grand Isle, you'll find more paddlers and Calmwater Charters can offer some guiding, shuttles or mothership trips. You'll also pass through areas like Galliano and Leeville which have a few spots for accessing the marsh. Bobby Lynn's is a popular marina, rents yaks and offers waterside lodging for not much money. Grand Isle is also well known as an excellent trout fishery and has multiple lodging and dining options. I'll be trying Myrtle Grove for the first time in late September, but it looks much safer for paddlers than going all the way into Venice. It also has good access to productive marsh without having to paddle for miles down a canal first. The Venice/Buras area is legendary for redfish, with fall producing some of the largest fish. Delacroix and Shell Beach are both fairly isolated with a marina or two as the only amenities, but they're both close enough to NOLA to day trip back and forth. Calcasieu and Sabine are a closer/easier drive, but fish much more like TX than the rest of LA (lots of open water, long distances to cover) and launches can be really spread out. Lake Charles has lots of amenities and nightlife, if you're into any of that at all.

You'll need the non-resident saltwater license, which is $17.50 per day or $90 annually. Their license expires at the end of June or July. In my experiences, LA is more primitive than pretty much anywhere on the Texas coast, but locals have been friendly and freely offer information about where to go and how to catch fish. Pack and Paddle in Lafayette is an excellent resource for kayaks, gear, clothing, tackle or just information. It's an easy stop on your way down to the coast, if you need something. They also have a strong online presence with lots of useful videos. Roads in LA can be pretty bad, even the freeways, so make sure everything is attached securely and recheck periodically. I'm no LA expert, but I try to go a couple of times a year so if you have any questions, I may be able to help.

If you want to stay in TX, I love fishing around Port A / Aransas Pass.
SurfMonkey

Post by SurfMonkey »

Google Sweetwater Marina

sweetwater marina
Daze Beach Houses

Post by Daze Beach Houses »

Have you ever thought of coming to Matagorda for your Fall trip?

We have two rental houses located behind the dunes at Matagorda Beach with the Gulf, Colorado River, East and West Matagorda Bays within very close proximity and giving you multiple easy accessible places to launch. There is also fish cleaning stations around, one is just 1/2 mile up the street on the mouth of Colorado River.

Beach Daze is pet friendly, 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom house has great ocean views! Lazy Daze is 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms with spectacular ocean and beach views! Both houses are perfect for you and your friends to enjoy and relax after a long day of kayak fishing!

Link to VRBO and YouTube Aerial Video Tour
Beach Daze House Rental, Matagorda - [https://www.vrbo.com/282571]
[youtube][https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDR48uRNraw&t=2s]

Lazy Daze House Rental, Matagorda - [https://www.vrbo.com/282572]
[youtube][https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LwsMoL2trM&t=5s]