What would you prefer, a Hatchet or an Axe?

Bibila

What would you prefer, a Hatchet or an Axe?

Post by Bibila »

I am planning to buy a new tool for camping and I am torn between an Axe and hatchet. I was reading this review https://www.toolazine.com/best-axes-hat ... -survival/ and thinking to buy an Estwing E44A hatchet or Estwing Special Edition E45ASE 26″ Camper’s Axe. :? Has anyone of you own and recommend this? Any suggestion is highly appreciated.
junkyard chihuahua
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: What would you prefer, a Hatchet or an Axe?

Post by junkyard chihuahua »

can't go wrong with either, but I do prefer the 26" axe. Its long enough to actually cut a lot of wood easily, and small enough to do all the jobs of a smaller hatchet. Its fun to use too! IMHO that campers axe is a very well designed tool.
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

For gathering and cutting firewood, the axe is so much better. Although I keep an axe in my rv, and a hefty ball pein hammer for splitting logs. It all,really depends on the need. ............cC
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I used to carry a hatchet, but realized I never needed it. So started to carry Cold Steel Shovel. It has a sharpened edge for light chopping, but I find I use a shovel far more often. Digging a fire pit/cathole, clearing rocks for a tent sight, splashing water to extinguish a fire, etc. Far more useful tool than a hatchet, IMO.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

I’m with Neumie on that thought, although it’s not what you asked, I started just carrying a folding (Sven) saw. If I couldn’t break it with my hands or cut it with the shovel I could saw it off. It’s come in handy on 4WD roads in the mountains with down limbs in the road.
But there is something about a nice hatchet that I like.
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

CopanoCruisin wrote:For gathering and cutting firewood, the axe is so much better. Although I keep an all steel hatchet in my rv, and a hefty ball pein hammer for splitting logs. It all,really depends on the need. ............cC