Question on flow of Colorado river near Webberville

Chaser

Question on flow of Colorado river near Webberville

Post by Chaser »

First wanted to say I'm really enjoying reading all of the camping reports in this forum. My boys (12 & 15) and I are planning our first overnight trip this weekend through Cook's Canoes. My youngest and I are renting a tandem canoe and my older son will be in a solo kayak. The trip planned is from Bog Webberville park to the island across from the Hyatt and take-out the next morning. Question for the veterans of this stretch is what is a safe flow for us to monitor? Currently the lcra hydromet site shows that they are releasing quite a bit of water out (Currently around 4000 cfs). The guy from Cook's says it should come down more by this Sat. when we leave and will just be a faster trip to the island and a little more difficult to fish. Reading through the reports it seems that many have made the trip in all kind of ranges from 400-4000+ cfs. We have all been doing some paddling in the last year, but are mostly novices. Thanks in advance.

James
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Question on flow of Colorado river near Webberville

Post by Earl »

At 4k CFS I am betting there will be very little if any camping Real Estate on those island by the Hyatt. I have paddled this section for 10+ yrs now and camped there may times with the river from 300-2000. Are you taking out at FM 969 or going on down to Bastrop?

Earl
Chaser

Post by Chaser »

Taking out at FM 969. I really appreciate the response, I will have to make a decision today on whether to hold off or not. It appears that the LCRA is still letting a good amount of water out. I think it will still come down sometime this weekend, just not sure.
t100

Post by t100 »

I'll second that the island by the Hyatt will be under water at 4000cfs. Camped there over New Years and there was little to no wood for a fire.
Paddling around the islands just down from big web stay to the left. It's shallow and the current picks up.
Good luck on the trip and post a report!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk