Buffalo River Trip starting 22 July

Bassbug
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Buffalo River Trip starting 22 July

Post by Bassbug »

Headed to the Buffalo River, Ponca AR - 22 July for a 5-6 days trip. Ponca low bridge to Tyler Bend.

Going solo unless there's interest in a couple folks coming along.

This is one of the most amazing, not very well known rivers in the US.

Anyone interested?

BB
beekeeper

Re: Buffalo River Trip starting 22 July

Post by beekeeper »

I just checked the flow rate at Ponca at 28 cf/s.
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

Bassbug, I am with Beekeeper on this one. Yes, the Buffalo is an amazing beautiful river. However, the gages are telling me this will be a hot, slow, boat dragging experience.

IMO you should make the extra hour drive on up to the Eleven Point or Current rivers. They are spring fed and flow all year. It will still be hot but you will have cool flowing water to paddle and camp near. You can also catch trout and have a nice dinner at the end of the day with river cooled beer to boot.

Either way, hope you have a good trip and post up a trip report when you return.

Earl
Bassbug
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Bassbug »

Earl wrote:Bassbug, I am with Beekeeper on this one. Yes, the Buffalo is an amazing beautiful river. However, the gages are telling me this will be a hot, slow, boat dragging experience.

IMO you should make the extra hour drive on up to the Eleven Point or Current rivers. They are spring fed and flow all year. It will still be hot but you will have cool flowing water to paddle and camp near. You can also catch trout and have a nice dinner at the end of the day with river cooled beer to boot.

Either way, hope you have a good trip and post up a trip report when you return.

Earl
I hear what y'all are saying. I've canoed this entire river 3 times. Yes there is low water up bear Ponca but the lower buffalo is fine to float.
Bassbug
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Bassbug »

Earl wrote:Bassbug, I am with Beekeeper on this one. Yes, the Buffalo is an amazing beautiful river. However, the gages are telling me this will be a hot, slow, boat dragging experience.

Earl

Thanks for the recommendation on the other rivers.
aggiejon

Post by aggiejon »

Curious how the trip to the Buffalo went, assuming you ended up going? Any tips on the trip? Curious who you used for an outfitter, where you camped, the whole skinny. Was up there this summer with the family but didn't trip the river. Going to try for a 3 day trip this coming spring.