Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Memorial Day Weekend Trip Report

Post by Earl »

Buffalo River, Arkansas: May 27-30, 2016
Put In: Ozark Campground, outside Jasper, AR
River conditions at put in: Gage at 6.4, ~ 900 CFS
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ar/nwis/uv/?s ... 0065,00060" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Take Out: Grinders Ferry, outside Marshall, AR
River conditions at take out: Gage at 5.4, ~ 2000 CFS
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ar/nwis/uv/?s ... 0065,00060" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Along on this trip: Amber Scheurer, Alec and Earl Atnip

Outfitter used: Buffalo River Outfitters 870-439-2244 or 800-582-2244
http://www.buffaloriveroutfitters.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got to spend some time with my oldest son and a friend on the Buffalo River over the Memorial Day weekend. We met on Friday evening at the Ozark campground which was busy. Amber and I arrived at the campground about 9:30am and a good thing we did as it was full shortly after that. After setting up the tents and a shade shelter we made lunch and drove to the Hemmed in Hollow trailhead. This is a 2.5mile hike to a beautiful waterfall. We had cool damp weather with very few people on the trail. We ate lunch there then took a lot of pictures and enjoyed some time with no people around and the serenity of the day. The hike back to the truck was pretty much all uphill but we made it in less time than going down. Back at camp for some chips and salsa before our shrimp and salmon dinner with green beans and some peaches. Alec drove in about 8pm and we sat out until about 10:30 then called it a night.

Saturday we all got up and going pretty early as we had to pick up camp then drive to the outfitters. After the shuttle we launched by 10am. Our destination a gravel bar on river right just below Mt Hershey about 20 miles downriver. We took a break at Carver for some lunch and fill out water jugs then with a couple other quick stops along the way and made camp about 3:30 in the afternoon. We saw very few people on the river and no campers for the day, only day trippers.

We got camp setup and then relaxed with some appetizers and cold beverages. Amber spotted a beaver that swam up to some willows about 10ft from our kayaks and he or she was posing for pictures. Dinner was steak, baked potatoes and pineapple. Alec went to bed and Amber and I watched bats for a bit then she retired then I found my hammock and called it a day.

Sunday morning I managed to sleep until about 5:20 then sat out and drank some coffee then took off on a walk up a road for a couple of miles where I came across several deer and a turkey. I got back and cooked Amber and I some bacon, eggs and toast. We got on the river at 9am with our destination a large high gravel bar on river left just above Arnold island, about 20 miles. We came by skull rock and saw some campers and paddlers and took a few pictures then were on our way. We made the Woolum campground about 11:15 and took a short break and saw the campground was full and a pile of canoes from outfitters for the day paddlers they were putting on the river. We pulled out a few miles down for lunch on river right across from a large bluff. This would be a good campsite but need to be well informed on expected rainfall and river conditions as it is a little low. We put back on about 12:15 then made our camp about 2:30. Amber spotted an eagle’s nest along the way with an eagle tearing some prey apart in the nest. There were a lot of day paddlers and very few campers and we had the gravel bar to ourselves for the night. This is a really nice place to camp with a large bend in the river and beautiful bluff across the river. There is a large rock in the river so Alec and I decided to swim out and climb on top. A bit later Amber spotted a bobcat across the river coming down for a drink and then a couple of hours later she spotted either the same bobcat or another up on the bluff.

After all the last of the day paddlers came by about 7pm we finished our appetizers and started on dinner which was grilled garlic, onions and some smoked sausage with boiled potatoes and pineapple. All three of us lay out on the ground and watched the bats and stars for a bit then Alec and I went to our hammocks and Amber her tent. Alec and I did not put up tarps hoping there would be no rain that night, there was not and we got lucky one more time.

The morning was your typical Ozark foggy river bottom start to the day. After some oatmeal for breakfast and savoring the serenity a bit longer we packed up and got on the water about 9am. The paddle down to Tyler Bend was quick then onto Grinder Ferry and off the water by 10:15.

Here is a small sample of the pictures I took along the way.

Small waterfall on our way to Hemmed in Hollow

Hemmed In Hollow

Amber at HIH

The Water Fall

Amber at the launch

Alec

First nights camp

The Beaver

Very Green River

Amber paddling along

Skull Rock

Some of the many bluffs

Alec and Amber

Alec and I after a swim to the rock at lunch

Another Bluff

Amber cooling her heels

Another rock conquered

The view at our second nights camp above Arnold Island

Alec and Amber chilling

Our foggy morning start

A map of our tracks down the river.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... vbzcYJjVv0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SYOTW,
Earl
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Memorial Day Weekend Trip Report

Post by Aggroman »

Awesome photos and report Earl! :clap:
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

I've canoe'd on that river a couple of times. Beautiful area to paddle. In a couple of weeks we're headed up to the Mark Twain NF in Missouri and hauling our own yaks this time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

I will be up in Mark Twain NF also on the Eleven Point river Jun 23-26 with my twin boys (17) and some friends. The trash talk on who will catch the most trout has been initiated by a friend of mine.

What river will you be on?

Earl
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

Black and St Francis

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

Great post Earl, thanks for taking the time to write it up.

I live vicariously through these camping posts - they are my favorite to read. One of these days...
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

I get so jealous I don't even read your post I just look at the pictures ... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Great Post Earl thans for sharin
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

those are some beautiful photos especially the waterfall pics