Smithville to Plum Park trip with co-workers (pic heavy!)

bassTaco

Smithville to Plum Park trip with co-workers (pic heavy!)

Post by bassTaco »

Here are some pics of our annual Spring trip on the Colorado river. It was our first time doing this stretch of the river and the trip was a success. Thanks to folks here in TKF especially sleepTX who gave me some good information to help prepare and plan for this trip. Enjoy the pics!

Pictures with some guys from TWPD and A&M. They were conducting some studies on the Guadalupe bass on this part of the river.

Here's the whole gang. Mostly co-wokers and a few friends and their kids.

HWY230 Boat ramp. Here's where we launched.

And off we go to start exploring new waters for us.

Nice backdrop of the trees.

HWY71 Bridge

Two old buzzards hanging out.

Pit-stop about half-way down to our destination for day1

Got off on the wrong island and found what I think is a femur bone from a cow. This was also a good camping spot but had already planned to stop at a island 1mi further down.

Our 5-star sleeping quarters for the night. This is around mile 8.5.

Was exploring around the island and found this guy.

Camp is set and getting ready to cook some dinner. I must say this is one my favorite parts of the trip. Chilling with a bunch of good friends by a camp fire.

Morning of day2 at our camping spot

That's me with my Happy Camping mug

Breakfast before we departure

I believe this is the River House. I looked it up because there was some big party the night before.

This is about another mile down from the island we stayed at. Another potential camping spot.

Fishing was slow but we managed to get a few.

Mossy turtle spotted

Can you spot what is lurking in these roots?

Railroad bridge. Looks like we are close to our destination for our trip.

We made it. This is Plum Park.

Thank you and I hope you enjoyed the pics!
Last edited by bassTaco on Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neskora

Re: Smithville to Plum Park trip with co-workers (pic heavy!)

Post by neskora »

Awesome write up and pictures!
I've been wanting to make a few trips on the Colorado but it seems every time I get some time to go it pours rain.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Love that river great post needs more food pictures lol Thanks for sharing
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Great report!!!
bassTaco

Post by bassTaco »

larry long shadows wrote:Love that river great post needs more food pictures lol Thanks for sharing
For you Larry.

Not a food pic but thought it was funny. Here's a pic of us trying to start a fire using the stick method.

Ok, enough of that. Let's bring out the matches. LOL!

Cooked up some charro beans. We made two pots enough for everyone.

For some reason we have made it a tradition to always cook fajitas and sausage for dinner in our camping trips. Seems real easy and they always taste so much better at camp.

Cutting the meat. And that's Elgin's Meyers sausage there.

Waiting for coffee to brew.

Cooking breakfast. Not too many pics of breakfast but we had bacon, sausage, chorizo, and eggs.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

now that made me happy nice lil grill ... looks like a great group
sleepyTX

Post by sleepyTX »

Looks like a good trip and bunch of guys. Thanks for posting the pics I need to try and post more from my trips but I usually get to busy fishing to take them. Hope to float with you sometime
quiet time

Post by quiet time »

Great report!

I'm trying to plan a river trip in that area for early June for a small group - maybe 2-3 nights.

How many nights did you spend on the river?

Did you leave a vehicle at the take-out point? If so, did you feel it was a safe spot?

Any other pointers would be much appreciated. We've never done a trip like this.

Thanks,
QT
bassTaco

Post by bassTaco »

quiet time wrote:Great report!

I'm trying to plan a river trip in that area for early June for a small group - maybe 2-3 nights.

How many nights did you spend on the river?

Did you leave a vehicle at the take-out point? If so, did you feel it was a safe spot?

Any other pointers would be much appreciated. We've never done a trip like this.

Thanks,
QT
We spent one night there. We did our own shuttling. One vehicle we left under the 230 bridge. I called the police department to let them know we were leaving a vehicle there for the night. They mentioned they would send someone to patrol the area. Don't know if they did but we had no issues. The rest of our vehicles spent the night at plum park. There's a person from LCRA that stays there in his RV.

The trip we did was about 18 miles. There's plenty of camping spots along the way to make it a two nighter. Check out Google maps to plan your camping spots.

Check out my initial post where i was seeking info about this trail. Some good information there tip help you plan your trip.
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... p?t=232212" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And if you want to do 3 nights, you could do the Smithville to LaGrange trail. I am not familiar with the stretch between plum park and LaGrange but my initial post should have some info including the document i attached that shows launch and take - out points.
Last edited by bassTaco on Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bassTaco

Post by bassTaco »

sleepyTX wrote:Looks like a good trip and bunch of guys. Thanks for posting the pics I need to try and post more from my trips but I usually get to busy fishing to take them. Hope to float with you sometime
I know what you mean about too busy fishing than taking pics. I have to remind myself to take the pictures. Plus it helps when someone else in the group takes pictures too. After the trip when I have time I typically take both sets and sort them according to time and share them with the group.
jpo_tx113

Post by jpo_tx113 »

Looks like a great time! I was there a little over a week ago and the fishing was horrible, so it's good to see some were caught.
Dormin

Post by Dormin »

We did the same stretch Labor Day weekend last year with our Trail Life group. Combination of canoes and yaks. Lot of fun. Planning to do it again in June.

We had no idea there was a race on Labor Day weekend. We sure found out about half way. Bunches of different classes caught up to us. Some pretty impressive rigs for sure.