TexasKayakFisherman.com est. 2000

Kayak fishing the Lone Star State...


#2174278
Has anyone launched from the Vernon L. Richards Riverbend Park? How about take-out on Plum Park? Curious to know how the access and take-out are for kayaks. You know, easy access, no steep hills, easy to get to the water type of things. Any information would be helpful. According to the Lower Colorado River guide document, there is a boat ramp on this park. I've attached the download link below for those who haven't seen the document. Good information on access and takeout points, mile markers, and islands on the Lower Colorado River.

Lower Colorado River Guide


So I've done a lot of research on this forum about the Smithville to Plum Park and Plum Park to La Grange trails. I wish I could do the whole stretch but I only have time to do a two day trip with some fishing of course. Just wanted to ask a very likely redundant question to those with experience in these trails, which of the two trails has a good balance of scenery, fishing, and decent island to camp at?

From my research, I captured that the Smithville to Plum Park trail was the most scenic. I found a post here that had a great report from Bastrop to Plum Park which I found very useful. It was from 2011 so hopefully things are still the same down that stretch.

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=169686


Thanks,
Rick
#2174523
I have paddled both stretches and think the prettier run is from Plum to La Grange. About midway is Rabbs Creek which you can paddle way up. Just downstream there are a couple of good size islands before you get to a hard turn with tall cliffs. Pick one of the island cause once you get past the cliffs it is a few miles to another island. There are two sets of class 1 rapid at about 5 and 16 miles.

Smithville to Plum is nice as well but not as scenic. There is a concrete ramp under FM 230 which is an easier access than at the park off of SH 71.

Either way be careful driving down to the beach at Plum. LCRA is not maintaining the path anymore and the sand/gravel is deep. I got stuck last weekend.
#2174528
sleepyTX wrote:I have paddled both stretches and think the prettier run is from Plum to La Grange. About midway is Rabbs Creek which you can paddle way up. Just downstream there are a couple of good size islands before you get to a hard turn with tall cliffs. Pick one of the island cause once you get past the cliffs it is a few miles to another island. There are two sets of class 1 rapid at about 5 and 16 miles.

Smithville to Plum is nice as well but not as scenic. There is a concrete ramp under FM 230 which is an easier access than at the park off of SH 71.

Either way be careful driving down to the beach at Plum. LCRA is not maintaining the path anymore and the sand/gravel is deep. I got stuck last weekend.

Awesome! Thanks for the info and heads up about Plum Park. Do you have any recommendations for an alternate access at plum park or nearby? Also, do you have some insight on the islands along Smithville to plum park like are there plenty of places to camp on?
#2174627
Plum access is still good I just don't advise driving on to the beach. If you head straight towards the river from the chicle drive it is an easy sandy slope of maybe 30 yards

Smithville to Plum - there is a good size island just shy of 9 miles and a small island at a ot 10.5 miles
#2174632
sleepyTX wrote:Plum access is still good I just don't advise driving on to the beach. If you head straight towards the river from the chicle drive it is an easy sandy slope of maybe 30 yards

Smithville to Plum - there is a good size island just shy of 9 miles and a small island at a ot 10.5 miles

Thanks again! Both river trails sound great. Maybe i can tackle both of them this year. ..but not at once.
#2175008
sleepyTX wrote:We are planning to do the run from Tahitian Village to Smithville in April. You are welcome to come

Ah man, that's great! I'll be honest that i am not sure if I'll be able to get away with my kids' soccer starting real soon. But I'd would love to hit a different stretch of the Colorado river. I'll have to talk to the boss and get back to you about that. And thanks for the invite!
#2176586
Plum is an isolated park at the dead end of a long road. There is also a park host that lives in an RV at the entrance.

La Grange and Smithville have large parking lots under the bridges. I have seen police cruisers down there from time to time so I think they are patrolled.
#2176729
sleepyTX wrote:Plum is an isolated park at the dead end of a long road. There is also a park host that lives in an RV at the entrance.

La Grange and Smithville have large parking lots under the bridges. I have seen police cruisers down there from time to time so I think they are patrolled.




Thanks again sleepyTX!
Port Mansfield

Where are you wanting to fish specifically? If yo[…]

Saturday night maiden voyage limit

Great pictures and report! Love the Tiki area at n[…]

Big Cypress Bayou

Dynamite I'd thought about getting a grappling ho[…]

Thanks again for the comments. I certainly felt lu[…]