TexasKayakFisherman.com est. 2000

Kayak fishing the Lone Star State...


User avatar
By sleepyTX
#2172636
Date: April 16 - 17 - one guys doing the April 15 as well
Stretch: Tahitian Village - Smithville 18 miles
Group: 5 or 6 committed, open invite

Well with spring around the corner it is time to start planning another river trip. This spring we have decided to do the run from Tahitian Village to Smithville. This looks like it is an 18 mile run with a large island in a sharp bend about halfway. I've never paddled it myself but anyone that has is welcome to chime in with advice or information. After last years floods i am hoping the river is in good shape. So far fishing hasn't been great this winter but I think it will improve when things warm up.
User avatar
By sleepyTX
#2177740
It looks like we are going to run two groups. Steves group will start out on Friday and paldl to the island about halfway and do a two night camp. Since I can't swing two nights another group will head out early Saturday and meet up with the first group.
User avatar
By Earl
#2178087
I would love to make this trip with you guys and finally meet some faces behind the name. However, I plan on being on the Buffalo River for 5 days over that weekend. Maybe some other time but thanks for the open invite.

SYOTW,
Earl
User avatar
By sleepyTX
#2178104
Heck Earl I want to ditch my trip and go on yours but the "boss" wouldn't be happy. Did the BuffLo back in the 80s on a scout trip and have wanted to go back ever since.
User avatar
By sleepyTX
#2178105
Heck Earl I want to ditch my trip and go on yours but the "boss" wouldn't be happy. Did the BuffLo back in the 80s on a scout trip and have wanted to go back ever since.
User avatar
By sleepyTX
#2182016
The address that shows up is 375 Riverside Dr. SH 71 to Bastrop Turn lest on Tahiti an Dr at the Walgreens Go all the way back to Riverside Dr and take a right Go past the golf course Parking lot will be on the left.
By bassTaco
#2182262
Wish i could do this trip with you guys but don't think i can make it. Have fun, be safe, and hopefully you guys will get a chance to take some pics to share with us.

Regards,
Rick
User avatar
By sleepyTX
#2183578
Larry, The more the merry I always say. I was thinking of meeting around 7:30 Saturday. Hadn't decided to meet at the ramp or the CVS parking lot. The ramp is way back in the subdivision.
User avatar
By Jeaux
#2183617
Hi
George the Corgi and I are interested
In 1 night or 2 if I can escape friday. What time meeting on friday? Will be leaving Montgomery. Can text or call two14 5two9 868two Dale
#2183697
sleepyTX wrote:Larry, The more the merry I always say. I was thinking of meeting around 7:30 Saturday. Hadn't decided to meet at the ramp or the CVS parking lot. The ramp is way back in the subdivision.

if you don't mind lets meet at cvs cus i will get lost
User avatar
By Jeaux
#2183767
Hirsch, or anyone else. when are you heading out on Friday?
I have never been on the Colorado.
Are there going to be any portages? Low water areas. Should I bring my cart. Trying to decide which yak.to use.
User avatar
By Hirsch
#2183787
I will be camping north Texas and the panhandle about that time. I hope you folks have a good trip and look forward to seeing you soon.


When I get back it will be about time to announce the next Colorado River Dawgs gathering!!! :D
User avatar
By TexanBrewer
#2183809
Hitting the Colorado this weekend but a bit further South.

We'll put in at 1000 Trails RV park and take out a Beason's in Columbus.

Short 10 mile trip over two days. I've not done any fishing in that river and very little freshwater fishing in general but I plan to try a lot and have a few libations with friends while I learn what not to throw. :)

I'll give you a heads-up on levels for your trip the 16th.
User avatar
By sleepyTX
#2183833
Jeaux
I've never paddled this stretch but Google Earth doesn't show any likely portages. There may be some skinny water but the depends on the releases from Linghoen Dam and rainfall.

Hirsh
We will report. Not sure I'll be able to do another overnighter till the fall due to family obligations. I'm leaning towards repeating the Plum to La Grange run then because I hope to take one of my sons along.

Texanbrewer
I've paddled that stretch and it is a nice run. I have cleaned up in the past using TXrig natural colored worms. Moyer oil has been my go to color
User avatar
By neskora
#2184035
I am somewhat new to the forum, mostly read more than post, but I may try and make this if the invite is still open and school and work permit.

Jeaux wrote:Hirsch, or anyone else. when are you heading out on Friday?
I have never been on the Colorado.
Are there going to be any portages? Low water areas. Should I bring my cart. Trying to decide which yak.to use.

sleepyTX wrote:Jeaux
I've never paddled this stretch but Google Earth doesn't show any likely portages. There may be some skinny water but the depends on the releases from Linghoen Dam and rainfall.

Hirsh
We will report. Not sure I'll be able to do another overnighter till the fall due to family obligations. I'm leaning towards repeating the Plum to La Grange run then because I hope to take one of my sons along.

Texanbrewer
I've paddled that stretch and it is a nice run. I have cleaned up in the past using TXrig natural colored worms. Moyer oil has been my go to color


I don't remember seeing any portages on that stretch but this should tell you one way or another:

http://www.lcra.org/parks/Documents/201 ... -Guide.pdf
Potential Stolen Hobie Outback

That old cheap thing might be just the Christmas p[…]

Night of the Living Dinks

Dinks don’t stink, not if your kiddo is having fu[…]

Grasswalker review

Thanks Im an old salt! I got sent this photo thi[…]

Port Aransas

You can park anywhere, just don't leave valuables […]