TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Colorado River Trip Report

Post by Earl »

Colorado River Trip Report
Jan 1-3, 2016
Put In: Little Webberville Park, Webberville
Take Out: Fisherman’s Park, Bastrop

Along on this trip was Dale, Jaws, Pancho, Jesse, Will, and Gavin from the DDRC. This has been an annual event for club for many years now. It was started by a former member of the club and I have picked it up since his departure. We managed to start our shuttle by 7:30am and on the water by 8:30am, I think this is a club record. We had some really good water this year due to all the rains with the river running about 750 in Bastrop.

Our first nights destination was a relatively low island just down from the Hyatt, a 14.5 mile paddle. The weather was cloudy with temps in the mid-40s. We managed to put together a heap of firewood for the night. Jesse managed to hang his hammock between the only two substantial trees on the island and the rest of us pitched tents. I cooked an awesome steak and baked potato on the fire and some green beans on the stove.

I brought along my crossbow so I could do some hog hunting and got up early and walked the river bank early the next morning. A lot of track but no hogs but did spook up a lot of deer and turkeys. Breakfast was some pre-made breakfast burritos warmed up in my Dutch oven. The day’s destination was a large island about 6 miles past the FM969 bridge for a total paddle of about 13.5 miles for the day. The weather was pretty much a repeat but we had a light north wind behind us. I stopped several time to walk the banks looking for hogs but again a lot of track, lot of deer and turkeys. At lunch we stopped along a gravel bar where the river makes a 90 degree right bend. After lunch I thought I would just walk up in the woods to take a look but left my bow in the boat. I was walking very slowly and came right up on a group of about 20 doe and a lot of turkey. The doe had made my presence but remained calm; the turkeys were alert and moving slowly away. I made a move to go back to the river then the doe spooked and took off. Well, wouldn’t you know it there were about 30 hogs in the brush that followed the spooked doe in the trot. I stood still and the deer and hogs stopped after about a 100yd retreat. I rushed back to the boat for my crossbow and returned only to find the neighborhood empty.

We arrived at our destination about 2pm set up my dome awning as we were getting periodic light rain. By 4pm it turned into a steady light rain and did not stop until 4am with temps in the low 40s. Dale also set up his dome awning next to mine. The fire that was started was put out and we all cooked pot luck under the awnings. Gavin brought sushi, Jesse and Pancho cooked brauts on a charcoal grill, Dale cooked a chicken casserole, Jaws made some grog, and I made a Dutch oven Frito pie. There was plenty to eat and we all stayed dry.

The next morning was damp and cool and burritos once again for me. I got on the water ahead of the rest wanting to see if I can find a hog stopping again along several spots in the first couple of miles. Again, lot of hog track, deer and turkeys but no hogs. I made Bastrop by 10:30 loaded up and waited on Jaws as he rode with me. Another great trip with some fine DDRC fellas. A few pictures the Jaws took.

Jaws at the put in

Second nights camp

Second nights camp

SYOTW,
Earl
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Colorado River Trip Report

Post by Hirsch »

Glad the river is in good shape and I am sure floods have scoured both islands clean. I like that stretch a lot.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Glad the river is in good shape and I am sure floods have scoured both islands clean. I like that stretch a lot.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Sounded like a fun trip. Thanks for sharing!
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

Hirsch, the backside of the island is no longer a good place to camp. It has been split up with a channel and lots of mud. The front of the island remains mostly unchanged.

Earl
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

nice trip, good pics and great report. Thanks for taking the time to post.

I'd like to make that trip - when the sun comes back and we see temps north of 80 again.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Thanks. I have always camped in the large clearing on the north upstream end.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Scout island looks good. Thanks for the update, that's my favorite stretch so far.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

so glad to see camping getting some life back... Thanks for posting Earl
bassTaco

Post by bassTaco »

Awesome trip i bet! Thanks for sharing. By the way, if you had killed a hog, were you planning to transport it in your canoe? And the meat would still be good by the end of your trip? Sorry for my ignorance but i don't do much hunting.
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

No, not going to transport out we were going to cook it that night on the fire.

Earl