Upper Brazos trip - Open Invite

sleepyTX

Upper Brazos trip - Open Invite

Post by sleepyTX »

I am starting to plan a trip below PK from HWY 16 down to Rochells at CR4 I think we have finally settled on Oct 17 - 18 so far it is 4 people but anyone can attend. More details as they develope.
beekeeper

Re: Upper Brazos trip - Open Invite

Post by beekeeper »

Are you planning a 2 day, 1 night trip?
sleepyTX

Post by sleepyTX »

Yes, it possible some might go up Friday and camp to avoid the early morning drive.
sleepyTX

Post by sleepyTX »

This trip ha evolved a bit. Looks like we are going to have two groups Group 1 will put in fairly early on Friday and paddle down about 12 miles and do a 2 night camp. Group 2 will put in around 4-5 and paddle down a couple miles and camp. Saturday Group 2 will paddle down and camp wherever Group 1 setup. Will paddle to Rochelle and take out Sunday.
ensignjason

Post by ensignjason »

I think we met you guys out there at the bridge. My friend and I were hunting in a canoe.
The Fatman

Post by The Fatman »

Yeah, that was us. Great 3 day float. Fishing was insanely good.
ensignjason

Post by ensignjason »

any big striper?
sleepyTX

Post by sleepyTX »

Quite a few dead striper floating in the river. We caught a lot of little largemouth and spotted bass. The largest I caught was 3 lbs, I believe a couple other guys caught some a bit bigger.

The river looked like it was in great shape, the water was clearest close to the dam but stayed in good shape throughout. This was the first time any of us had paddled this drench so I was a bit surprised by the length of the flat stretches. What rapid there are are minor and not technical at all. The dam release was at 125 cfs so there were some skinny stretches where we would hang up and have to scoot or drag.

We saw plenty of wildlife. We saw a juvenile bald eagle and a whole flock of turkeys. I will try to post some pictures later.
ensignjason

Post by ensignjason »

cool. Yeah I don't know what the deal is with the dead striper...I hope its not a sign of worse things to come. The cooler temp should stop any algae issues. I was gonna head there this week but I dont know what the conditions will be like with the rain
sleepyTX

Post by sleepyTX »

A few pis