How do U manage UR kayaks/kayak trailer while campin/hotel?

Overkill

How do U manage UR kayaks/kayak trailer while campin/hotel?

Post by Overkill »

Hey guys! I have a curious question for all of you. Please feel free to leave your personal experience or advice on the subject. I am sure I can learn a lot from any one of you on the matter.

So I have been camping... well, pretty much all my life. However, I have never been camping or stayed at a hotel overnight with a trailer loaded with 2 kayaks. The last time my wife and I went camping, we didnt have our kayaks, and so it wasnt an issue. We are planning a kayak/camping trip in a couple of weeks and I am a bit apprehensive about leaving the kayaks on the trailer overnight. I feel a little less nervous if we decide that we are going to go camping, because the kayaks will be right next to us. If we stay in a hotel, im not exactly sure how to secure the kayaks to where someone wont want to try and take them or even mess with them. All of you know like I do, that kayaking can be an expensive hobby/activity. Even if we lock the kayaks to the trailer with a chain, if someone REALLY wanted to take them while we slept... im sure they would be able to.

I guess what I want to know... is
1.) how do you feel about leaving your kayaks out in the open at a hotel?
2.) If you were to leave them out in the open, how do you secure your kayaks?
3.) Do you have any advice on managing your kayak trailer while it is not in your view?

Thanks!

Overkill (Brock)
BOPGUNNER

Re: How do U manage UR kayaks/kayak trailer while campin/hotel?

Post by BOPGUNNER »

Locks,locks and more locks. Alway make sure you put a trailer lock on trailer to truck. Second I use a long heavy duty chain ,run it around and through the holes on trailer wheels and kayaks . With good locks. If the chain and locks can be seen the better. And if possible try and stay where you can park and see your stuff. You could use a cable lock too. Good luck.
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

Overkill wrote: I guess what I want to know... is
1.) how do you feel about leaving your kayaks out in the open at a hotel?
Not very good, if there have been known trouble at the hotel in the past, so ask the attendant about pass problems.

2.) If you were to leave them out in the open, how do you secure your kayaks?
Cable , chains and locks. I have hobies so the make sure the pass the cable through the mirage drive hole and through the spokes in the trailer tires to have both the yak and the trailer as one unit. I also keep the trailer locked to the truck. If this is not possible I will lock the trailer to a tree or what ever is available around the lot.

3.) Do you have any advice on managing your kayak trailer while it is not in your view?
Answered above. Plus if you get the manager to agree you could place the yaks right in view of the drive through and see if the night attendant would help keep an eye on your yaks. I would not leave anything on the yaks at night.

Thanks!

Overkill (Brock)
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Thanks for the info guys! I didnt think about chaining the kayaks to the Trailer. I have two brand new ATAKs and would just roll over and die if something happened to them. Especially mine... I got the Limited Edition Sublime Color from Hook 1. Time to go to HomeDepot and get some chains and locks! :D
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

Overkill wrote:Thanks for the info guys! I didnt think about chaining the kayaks to the Trailer. I have two brand new ATAKs and would just roll over and die if something happened to them. Especially mine... I got the Limited Edition Sublime Color from Hook 1. Time to go to HomeDepot and get some chains and locks! :D
One word of advice... REMEMBER to unlock the chains from the wheels before moving the trailer... Don't ask how I know!!!! Good Luck
Flippin' Crazee

Post by Flippin' Crazee »

I drag my kayak into the room with me. Thieves are everywhere these days.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

I have a heavy chain and padlock and a long cable lock too. The other thing I will often do is put a tarp over the kayak and trailer, with the hope that a thief driving by scanning for kayaks will overlook the trailer or will decide it's not worth the trouble to find out what's underneath.

-CC
Copperfish

Post by Copperfish »

Flippin' Crazee wrote:I drag my kayak into the room with me. Thieves are everywhere these days.
X2, this generally works best at motels