South padre camping off island?

Willy

South padre camping off island?

Post by Willy »

Everything on South Padre island is booked for late June/early July. Any recommendations of nearby campgrounds? We will be pop-up camping with young kids so electricity (AC) is a plus. Hoping to do some fly fishing so any pointers on places to try without a boat would be greatly appreciated. Not familiar with the area at all.

Thanks all.
wizard7889

Re: South padre camping off island?

Post by wizard7889 »

try goose island, its kid friendly. Stay on the bay side not in the forest, mosquitos will eat you alive.

Wiz
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Wiz, Goose Island is about four hours from South Padre Island. http://www.rvparkreviews.com/ is a good site to use for any location in the USA for campsite information including reviews.
wizard7889

Post by wizard7889 »

that is true txnomad, but since he is from SA he can drive three hours instead of four. Thanks for the rv guide, it will come in handy when i want to take the Rv.

Wiz
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Wiz, you are welcome. That is the site I have been using during my full time RV life. Willy, good luck getting a campsite down there but be prepared for some really hot temps and strong winds. There is a government run campground down on the island just to the right after you cross the big bridge. I have never stayed down there because of the crowds. Rockport/Aransas Pass/ Port Aransas is a much calmer area and is my preference. If you follow Wiz suggestion, I really enjoy both Goose Island SP on the bay and Mustang Island SP on the beach. There is good fishing at both of them. Rockport has a wonderful Beach area that great for small kids to play in the water. Check out Rockport Beach Park, it fits young kids very well and makes it easy to keep them busy.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Thank you both! I will consider Goose Island ( closer to where I am familiar). Was just considering trying something new. I really appreciate the advice. Do you think it is hotter and windier than Rockport?