Question on carrying a yak w/ travel trailer

Flats stalker

Question on carrying a yak w/ travel trailer

Post by Flats stalker »

What's the easiest way to carry a few yaks if I'm pulling my travel trailer with my truck. If I get a bed carrier rack system would I have room to turn? Thanks
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Re: Question on carrying a yak w/ travel trailer

Post by Coastal Country »

If it's a tongue pull yes all you have too do is maybe move the yaks up a little further on the racks. I have a 8' bed and mine only stuck back maybe a foot or two. I just watched in my mirrors if I had to turn sharp.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I recommend that you couple up and go to an empty parking lot. Put the truck into as tight a turn as it can do with the trailer in tow. Stop and measure exactly what you have to work with. Then plan from there.
Daniel C

Post by Daniel C »

I agree with TEXNOMAD. Once I got mine figured out I drove around low traffic streets to verify if my set up would work.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
chrisquested

Post by chrisquested »

Daniel C wrote:I agree with TEXNOMAD. Once I got mine figured out I drove around low traffic streets to verify if my set up would work.

Man I just bought me a jayco 32bhds we went camping and I wanted to take the kayak but there is no way for me to haul it in the bed or even try to put it in the camper! I been looking at a ladder rack/Pipe rack set up for my bed but I have a 2014 Silverado z71 crew cab short bed..... Its only 5'8" bed and my kayak is 14 feet.

So if you see this post could you tell me what length bed and what length kayaks you have?

anyone else who might be able to chime in also it would be nice! any ideas???
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Just get one of the many racks that extends over the cab to carry the yaks. They are not cheap.
Daniel C

Post by Daniel C »

chrisquested wrote:
Daniel C wrote:I agree with TEXNOMAD. Once I got mine figured out I drove around low traffic streets to verify if my set up would work.

Man I just bought me a jayco 32bhds we went camping and I wanted to take the kayak but there is no way for me to haul it in the bed or even try to put it in the camper! I been looking at a ladder rack/Pipe rack set up for my bed but I have a 2014 Silverado z71 crew cab short bed..... Its only 5'8" bed and my kayak is 14 feet.

So if you see this post could you tell me what length bed and what length kayaks you have?

anyone else who might be able to chime in also it would be nice! any ideas???

My bed is around 6 -1/2' and my kayak is 14' long. The rack I use is a Thule Xsporter. They run around $700 new and $300-$500 used. Place the rack as far forward as possible and I think it should work.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

How about getting a small trailer for your kayak and attach it to you RV. Just don't back up. This way you don't have to lift your kayak overhead and can use the trailer to haul your kayak without the RV. There is a length limit but I think it is within your limits.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Tandem towing is not legal everywhere. You will need to be very aware of the legal restrictions in certain localities. Check this site for help. http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kirk B.

Post by Kirk B. »

I have a bumper pull TT and a 2012 F150. A 5'-6" bed and a 10 foot kayak works out just fine with the kayak up on the top of the tailgate. I have room to spare. Enough so that I'm looking at 12 foot kayaks for next year. :mrgreen:

Kirk B.
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

I made cradles that clamp to the rack. Use 1" X 6"s spaced 16" to 18" apart. They clamp to the racks (I pull a fifth wheel and have a short rack over the cab) and support the whole length of the hull. Carpet the top edges of the boards so the kayaks slide easily on and off. I have photographs in my phone but I can't transfer them to the forum and I have never been able to get photographs to post. I can text them to anyone if you're interested.
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

In regards to tandem towing, I have tandem towed a kayak trailer behind our travel trailer pretty much all over the great state of Texas. I have never been aware of any local restrictions in regard tandem towing, just always followed the state laws. I definitely remember a DPS trooper behind me more than once. Oh, it was a great set up and pulled like a dream!
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

Tandem towing is legal in Texas (there is a length limit). There are a number of states where it is not. From Alabama all around the coast to Maine it is illegal, and in several other states also.