Camp chair

gwinyak

Camp chair

Post by gwinyak »

So I'm thinking about investing in a good camping chair that will stow easily on my kayak. I'm looking at chairs like the Helinox chair one or the thermarest treo chair. A Hundred bucks seems like a lot of money to spend on a small foldable camp chair.... For those who have them, or that type of chair.... Is it worth it?
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Camp chair

Post by Aggroman »

I bought the Alite Mayfly. It's the best one i've tried so far. I personally liked it better than the Helinox. It's 1.6 pounds and it's just a little bigger than a nalgene bottle.I wrote a review about it on another yak site, so without sending you somewhere else, i'll copy and paste what I wrote and add the photos I took.

Of course this is just my opinion on it.

Alite Mayfly
For years I drug around those big ol' bulky folding camp chairs so I could have a place to sit my weary rear after a long day on the water. I would also bring it on day trips just to have a place to sit and eat lunch and get a break from my kayak seat. They worked great for what they were for, but again, heavy and bulky. I needed something that was a little easier and lighter. Something that would work on the river and on the backpacking trail.
While at a big box store on a family trip, the girls were doing their thing and my son and I hit the camping section. While looking for some lightweight river gear, I ran across the Alite Mayfly. A little over a pound and the size of a water bottle. I was intrigued and took it out and set it up there in the store. I was amazed how easy it was to set up. I sat down, moved around a bit, then my son did the same thing. We both loved it. Very comfy. I made a mental note and once we got back to town, I went to a locally owned shop and had them order me one.
I have used this chair on the river about 12 times now and haven't had any issues at all. I have it stowed in my dry bag with other river necessities and with easy access right inside my bow hatch. My other chair wouldn't fit in there and was lashed on the back if I had room. It takes about 20 seconds to get out of the case and put together. (I should add the little folding stools are cheap and fit inside there, but my back won't tolerate those things.)
As with any ultralight item, it comes with a price. That price is $100. For me, being able to sit comfortably and without pain,(dumb back) is a high priority and this chair is worth every penny. And on multi-day trips or backpacking where every ounce counts, it's nice to have a bit of comfort where normally we would do without because of the added weight.

Just chillin'

Eating lunch

There are two kinds alite makes that are small, the monarch and the mayfly. The monarch doesn't have the front leg support and is a rocker type. The mayfly can do both, sit and pivot on the back legs or attach the front for a regular chair feel. They make a larger one that handles more weight, and I believe that is called the Mantis, but this one works in my weight class. Hope this helps some.

Scott
t100

Post by t100 »

The hilinox is on sale at cabellas. 80ish ? I'd like to get one of these as well. Any problem with the legs going into the ground under load?
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

I bought one off amazon and modified my Hobie outback to use it when the water is calm. I love it. Here is the post about the modification. http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 3#p2067038" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fisher of people

Post by fisher of people »

For canoe camping, I usually take the REI camp stowaway chair: http://www.rei.com/product/765270/rei-c ... -low-chair" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Great sturdy chair, low to the ground, extremely comfortable, and lightweight for a camp chair. That said, I also have a Alite Mayfly, and I wholeheartedly agree with Aggroman, it is an amazing chair. It is so light that I actually take it backpacking with me. It is extremely comfortable, and has a low enough profile that I can sit up in my tent and read at night. I have also thrown it into my pack for day hikes. If weight is an important factor for you, I highly recommend this chair, it is one of my very favorite pieces of gear.
gwinyak

Post by gwinyak »

Great review aggroman! What do you like about the Mayfly over the Helinox?

Both look like great chairs and I like the legs on the Mayfly better than the Helinox but I like the fact that The Helinox is farther off the ground.
fisher of people

Post by fisher of people »

gwinyak wrote:Great review aggroman! What do you like about the Mayfly over the Helinox?

Both look like great chairs and I like the legs on the Mayfly better than the Helinox but I like the fact that The Helinox is farther off the ground.

You pretty much hit on it. I've sat in the helinox, and it's extremely comfortable, and much easier to get out of due to being higher off the ground. But I don't like the legs as much, I would be worried about using this chair in a tent. Also, the mayfly is quite a bit lighter. I found them probably equally comfortable. Looks like BA has a new chair called the ground chair which might be comparable to the mayfly.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

I have only tried the Helinox Chair One in the stores not out on the river, but my main concern was the legs. I agree the height is better with the Helinox, and in the store, on concrete, it was pretty dang cool. But for what I would use it for most the time, mainly day trips, I wanted something I could setup quick and not have to go around finding the right ground to set it up on. I'm usually right on the edge of the water when I use it, because I don't have much space to choose from on the rivers I fish. So when I first sat down in it, I thought, no way will this work for me, i'll be sinking and sitting cock-eyed before I get my bag of chips open. :lol: Like I said, just my opinion on the Helinox. It may work fine, but for $100, I wasn't willing to gamble on "hoping it will work for me". Good luck with whatever you choose, and let us know what you get and how you like it.

Scott
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

well i'm a poor boy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: so I just go with $5 Academy .. :lol: :lol: plus i can't set that close to the ground after a couple glasses wine I would not be able to get up .. all joke aside I really don't go enough to spend any money on a chair..but I do like this post
Attachments
PB210026.JPG
jackh

Post by jackh »

I use a crazy creek for backpacking and yakpacking. I use a fold up chair for car camping.
pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

I have the Helinox. It is super light, very easy to stow and comfortable. But you hit the nail on the head. It pushes into the ground under load. I'm wondering if there are some little bases that could be make for the legs?
gwinyak

Post by gwinyak »

Yes I was thinking if I got the Helinox that I could cut a 14 inch bamboo Shute in half lengthways. That way the legs could sit in the bamboo. It would be very light and at 14 inches a piece, they could still fit in the stuff sack.
pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Good idea.

Easy fit in a dry bag. I tend not to even bag mine. Tends to fit very nicely way up in the bow. In my 12' Tarpon I can store the chair in the front of the bow and not even see it.
jackh

Post by jackh »

A crazy creek stows pretty dang small. Sitting in it on top of a cooler, stump, rock etc is comfy. Getting in and out of it on the ground isn't that easy though. Something with tiny legs like what's pictured above might beat it in that area.