2 man tents

sleepyTX

2 man tents

Post by sleepyTX »

I am looking at downsizing the tent I use on river trips. Presently I am using a 4 man dome. I have been looking at 2 man tent and wonder if anyone has any recommendations. So far i am considering the Eureka midori 2, ticla teahouse and the Sanssport black granite star-light.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: 2 man tents

Post by Aggroman »

I used a Morrison 2 and absolutely loved it. It is 5lbs and free standing. I unfortunately lost it in a flood. :cry: But have nothing but good things to say about it.
http://mountainsmith.com/index.php/morrison-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bought the North Face Talus 2 about 6 months ago and really like it. Also free standing and about 5lbs. Also comes with a footprint included.
http://www.rei.com/product/864016/the-n ... lus-2-tent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm really not a fan of the lighter 1 man tents, mainly because of their size. I like the pack size, but I like to have a little room in there to move or put my gear. Probably not the best backpack tent, but works great in the kayak so far. There are cheaper alternatives of course, but these two have been tested on river trips and I can personally give my two thumbs up on them. My only con is I don't really like the way the rain fly is on the front of the Talus. I think it would be a pain to hold in place if on a rock shelf or somewhere you couldn't stake down. The Morrison was much better with that. Anyway, just my two cents. Good Luck!

Here's the Talus from last month on a campout with my son's scout troop.

Scott
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

Aggroman wrote:I used a Morrison 2 and absolutely loved it. It is 5lbs and free standing. I unfortunately lost it in a flood. :cry: But have nothing but good things to say about it.
http://mountainsmith.com/index.php/morrison-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I take it is somewhere on the Pecos?

Earl
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Yes :cry: It's probably buried in some cove in Mexico along with my other stuff. So far, they have found a few of our things 50+ miles from where we camped. :cry:

I found a few pics of the Morrison 2, taken on its final trip.

The Fatman

Post by The Fatman »

Of the options you gave.... I would say Eureka midori 2. I like the aluminum poles and that is is clips instead of sleeves. The partial sleeves on mine almost require 2 people to set up. The door is a true "D". I would water proof the hell out of that fabric near the bottom. The sundome 2 I used has more of a bath tub floor and it comes up the sides about 6". I am still going to spray and seal it before our next trip.
fishr3

Post by fishr3 »

Be aware that 2 full size rectangular air matresses won't fit in some 2 man tents. My son and I have shared a Coleman Inyo 2 tent, but we like a bigger tent when canoe camping. I don't camp enough to give the tent a rating, but it is small light weight and compact. I like the oversized rainfly too because it creates a covered vestibule outside the tent. I use a sheet of polyethylene plastic for a ground tarp. I noticed that Academy sells a decent looking 2 man tent, like the Coleman Inyo 2, for $70. Like kayaks, its hard to find one tent that works well for all the different weather conditions you may experience. I tend to look for a tent with good ventilation and good rain protection, because my two biggest concerns in Texas camping are getting too hot or too wet.
Attachments
IMG_0823.JPG
Coleman Inyo 2
Coleman Inyo 2
9810-816_500.jpg (21.08 KiB) Viewed 7837 times
smokedcuda

Post by smokedcuda »

Got an older Kelty 2 man looks alot like their newer Salida version. Bought it cause it would fit in the bed of my truck with the tail gate down. Will fit an air mattress real snug but fits, will also fit my cot. Aluminum poles and a nice functional rain fly. Only issue Ive had after about 10 years of use is the elastic cords in the poles has kind of crapped out, but still usable, just not quite as convenient on set up.
fisher of people

Post by fisher of people »

Will this be for use by two people, or mostly just you? Will you do anything with it besides river camp? My river and car camping tent right now is an REI Half Dome 2. Probably a little more expensive than some you could get, but a very solid tent, reasonably lightweight. REI tents are some of the best values out there, IMHO.
The Fatman

Post by The Fatman »

@ smokedcuda - you can get new shock cord and restring your poles. Great way to save an old favorite.
sleepyTX

Post by sleepyTX »

Just for me most of the time and currently most of the camping I do is river camping. I am not terribly concerned about weight do to the fact i wont be carrying it very far. My biggest concerns are ventilation and size. With the Texas heat good ventilation is essential and while I want a smaller tent than my current 4 man dome I still need to fit all of me (6'8" and 250 lbs) in it.

Aggroman, Thanks for the Mountainsmith sugestion. I am now leaning towards either it or the Eureka.

The Fatman, Did I kick your rock? I haven't seen you on a forum in ages. :twisted:
The Fatman

Post by The Fatman »

Yes, you disturbed my rock. Had to go find my password. I told you that you were a bad influence :horse:
jackh

Post by jackh »

I use a 3 man Go Lite for me, gf, and dog. I have slept 3 but it was tight. Go lite is no longer made. MSR hubbas are supposed to be awesome.
ucyaker

Post by ucyaker »

+1 for the Mountainsmith Morrison 2. Recently bought a new one from Ebay and pleased w/ the quality. I'm 6 ft tall and this tent has plenty of leg room for me plus room to store some gear inside the tent or outside under the vestibule.
Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

I been using the REI Half Dome 2+ and so far its been a fantastic tent for the price.
volyak

Post by volyak »

North Face Tadpole
Mountain Hardwear Hammerhead
Terry123

Post by Terry123 »

Mr. B wrote:I been using the REI Half Dome 2+ and so far its been a fantastic tent for the price.
I am also using REI Half Dome 2+, really love it.