Cossatot River, AR

Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Cossatot River, AR

Post by Earl »

Cossatot River, AR
March 27-29, 2015
This was a new river for me and was joined by 5 other members from DDRC. We camped at a group camp area which is about 1.5 miles down from Cossatot Falls. There is a nice campground at the falls and also at the visitor center at Hwy 278.
I arrived about 3:30 Friday afternoon and immediately unloaded my Jackson Zen playboat and we put in a the campground and made the trip down to Hwy 278, about 4 miles. This is a pretty stretch with a few class II and maybe one III. It is just challenging to find your way through some of the rock gardens. The water was low at about 220 cfs and dropping. We all got back to camp about 6pm and started on dinner. I made Dutch Oven Frito Pie and it turned out really pretty good. I layered chili without beans, Chili Cheese Fritos, onions, and Cheddar cheese and heated with coals for about 30 minutes until it was bubbling. We all sat around the fire for a bit and one fellow brought a guitar and played a few for us and some sang along, not me it would have split some rocks it I had.
Saturday I got up and got the fire revived and drank some coffee. I really enjoy my time away from the big city. The sound of the river rushing over the rocks below, the rich aroma of cedar on the fire and the warmth it brings to your body on a cool morning, the sight of first light above the trees, and cardinals first songs, is all just what I needed to revive my soul a bit.

Another fellow an I went for about a 4 mile trail run back toward the visitors center then came back and we all loaded up and drove up to Hwy 246 to put in and paddled down to Ed Banks. I came out of my boat on about the 3rd rapid down. Hit a rock just right and over I went with my head hitting the rocks underwater, had my brain bucket and wetsuit on. Nothing hurt just got out and drained the boat and got back in. We had other with spills and thrills also. I pulled out at Ed banks and 4 others went on down to Cossatot Falls and scouted then decided not to run due to such low water. I will be back to run this but want about 400-500 cfs to do it. The pictures below really do not do these rapids justice. This is a real maze to get through this, the river drops about 33 feet in 1/3 mile through twists and turns with many drops with eddy pools in between. You really need to scout this if you have not run it before.

Sunday morning I did my usual early fire revival and coffee then took off on a hike up the trail to the falls and back. I loaded up and left camp about 10:15 for my drive back to Plano. This is a beautiful area to kayak, camp, hike. The trees were just starting to come out and the Dogwoods had there blooms getting started. I will be back.

Here are a few pictures to enjoy. I understand the Cossatot is an Indian word for Skull Crusher.

SYOTW,
Earl
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Re: Cossatot River, AR

Post by Mythman »

Wow, that really looks low.................would be a hard paddle...............for me!