A Quick Overnighter

Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

A Quick Overnighter

Post by Aggroman »

If anyone gets bored, here was a quick overnighter at the San Angelo State Park. I never get to post in the camping section, so dang it, I am this time. Plus, who doesn't like purdy photos. :D Anyway, it's a great park, plenty of hiking, biking, equestrian, you name it. Only two bad things about it, one...the lake dried up, and two...Bill works there. But if you can get past those, it really is an awesome place. :D (just kidding, Bill and his band of yahoos do an awesome job keeping that place top notch)

On with the story...
It was quite a crazy busy week, then in the middle of it my son's troop decided to throw in a last minute camp/hike trip. Everyone is busy the rest of the month, so this was it. Fortunately it was close to town at the state park which meant....I can finally go! I still had to work until 6, so they decided to meet at 6:15. We loaded up and headed out. It was originally just Saturday only, but heck, why not throw in an overnighter.

My Scout

I also needed to try out a ton of new gear that I had to replenish from last June's flood that wiped us out on the Pecos River. I decided to go lightweight. Or "lighter" weight than I have in the past.

My new home. North Face Talus 2. Weighs 4 pounds.

Also tried out the Therm-A-Rest LuxuryLite UltraLite Cot. It was awesome. I slept great all night. It weighs 2lbs and 12oz. Definitely going to be worth it on some upcoming backpacking trips. It will ride nice in the yak as well for our future river camping trips.

A few of the boys needed to finish a some requirements on a few merit badges. So a 10 mile hike was scheduled and my son planned and cooked a breakfast for the troop to keep working on his cooking badge.

Preparing the eggs.

Skillet scramble complete.

Pretty sunrise this morning as the group of zombies gathered for breakfast.

I still had to work at 9am, but we were up at 7. The boys slowly got things moving, and I wasn't paying attention to the time, so I looked down at 8:30 and flew out of there. I got home in enough time to change clothes and drop off my gear. I've heard plenty of comments today about someone in the store smelling like a campfire. :lol:

Scott
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: A Quick Overnighter

Post by Hirsch »

Good pictures and report. I was drawn for a control hunt some years ago and enjoyed the place greatly.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

looks like a great time thats some yellow tents for sure..thats sad lake dried up
nektgen

Post by nektgen »

Thanks. Good story
[img]http://freetspics.gq/2/o.png[/img]