Purtis Creek State Park

GeorgiaKid

Purtis Creek State Park

Post by GeorgiaKid »

Thinking about packing up the tent and haulin the yaks to Purtis Creek St. Park come second week of March or so.

Has anyone been there? Have good information to know about it, or know the Do's and Do Nots?

Thanks,
Brock
on a mission
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Purtis Creek State Park

Post by on a mission »

My cuz and me will be there March 6-8. The spawn is ON! If yall want to fish with ,let us know. Followed by campfire brews of course. Great catch and release bass lake. Good cats also. And you dont have to worry about getting waked /run over by boats. Enjoy
Ronny

Post by Ronny »

I am going March 9th-11th with my daughter, guess I should have planned this in advance cause all the sites with electric and water are booked so we are just going to primitive camp. will be our first time here also so any good tips or info would be great....by the way I will be in a silver jeep with a few kayaks in tow give me a holler if you see us

Thanks
Ronny
on a mission
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by on a mission »

Ronny wrote:I am going March 9th-11th with my daughter, guess I should have planned this in advance cause all the sites with electric and water are booked so we are just going to primitive camp. will be our first time here also so any good tips or info would be great....by the way I will be in a silver jeep with a few kayaks in tow give me a holler if you see us

Thanks
Ronny
We cancelled this w-end trip and reserved the 20-21st this month. Just dont think the bite will be on due to the next front. Will be in black TJ w/trailer. Lizard(any color) in 1-6ft of water. It never fails. Good luck. Oh, and there should be a water only site now that i cancelled. If you hurry.
Ronny

Post by Ronny »

Thanks for the tips, I would love to be able to change the dates but My daughter is out from college on spring break and I took a week of vacation so guess we will give it a shot and we are dying to try someplace new, originally planned a village creek 2 nighter but I for sure don't want to be dumped out on a creek to fend for ourselves with the weather we have been having. The last few trips were to Martin Dies SP and I like the place but the fishing has sucked , or at least for me anyways. I recommend the Island side for more private camping and the kayak trail is very scenic.
Looks like the weather will be nicer starting on Monday and hopefully it wont take long for the fishing to recover.
Ronny

Post by Ronny »

Well looks like this trip is getting postponed for a few days...lol, hopefully the latter part of this week dries out some
Ronny

Post by Ronny »

Ok here is my trip report and hopefully some info for anyone interested on going, I cant give much on the fishing as the weather sucked and only fished for a few hours with nothing caught..lol.
The staff is very friendly and constantly around, ive never seen so many park vehicles driving around checking on things, It was very crowded because of spring break. There are only about 4 spots that have direct access to the lake so if u are kayaking you would have to haul to the water everytime . we used the boat ramp area which is in a separate area of the park and had easy access from the bank to launch from and ample parking since I had a trailer.
we originally were going to use the primitive camp area and they are all on the water but that meant either hauling all our gear 1/2 -1 mile in or making several trips across by kayaks but luckily they had a cancelation and we got a drive up spot. I would go again but only if I could get a reserved water spot and good weather, we cut our trip short because of the rain. If you are used to kayak camping with bare minimum gear the primitive area would be a good place to camp given some time for it to dry out. there are no tables in the primitive area either, just a fire ring. they have some water only camp spot by the boat ramp but it was a mud hole.
Well hope any of this makes sense I kinda jumped around a bit as things came to mind
on a mission
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by on a mission »

Thanks for the report Ronny, we are heading to Purtis in a few. Dont give a rats ass if it pours the entire time, i Need to hook some big bass. At least the break crowd will be thinned out and the temps and winds are looking good. Dont give up on Purtis , there are 10-14lb pigs in there. And yes, they patrol alot to try to catch me drinking my favorite beverage. Hope you two enjoyed the trip anyway.