Pecos River Trip

jackh

Pecos River Trip

Post by jackh »

Anyone planning a Pecos River trip late spring or early summer that needs an extra person to split costs please let me know. I planned and led a group of 6 down the Devils last spring, I have all my own gear and plenty of experience primitive camping and paddling. None of my friends can get off work long enough to do the Pecos, so I'm looking for a group I can tag along with.
jmmorgan82

Re: Pecos River Trip

Post by jmmorgan82 »

What kind of distance would you want to do? Put-in, take-out, etc? I've wanted to do the Pecos ever-since we did the Devils River in October, and depending on the dates I may be able to go. Could prob get a group of guys together for it.
jackh

Post by jackh »

http://www.southwestpaddler.com/docs/riogrande15.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My understanding is there's only one put in and take out. Maybe 3rd or 4th week in May? I'll know my work schedule in a couple weeks.
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

I might be interested In a trip on the Pecos. What put in and take out spot do you have in mind?
jmmorgan82

Post by jmmorgan82 »

I did some reading after I had posted that, and it appears you have to do the entire 66 mile stretch, and the last 12 miles or so is across Amistad. I'd get a tow or a ride for that last part, effectively making it a 54 mile paddle. I am definitely game for it but would have to wait until the fall. Getting married on May 2nd, then heading out of country for a week for the honeymoon. I'll re-visit this come closer to fall and see if anyone wants to put something together. If y'all go in the spring, best of luck to you and be safe.
YaknFly

Post by YaknFly »

I'm by no means an experienced paddler, but I've done some white water rafting before, and camp out/hike plenty. If y'all are putting together a group and don't mind taking someone with my limited skills, I'm off work May 6-19
jackh

Post by jackh »

I can't go until after labor day (May 25th). Anyone know if it's too hot then or is it doable?
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

It was pretty hot last June when we went, but you're wet 90% of the time, and the wind seemed like it was always blowing, so it was never unbearable. I had a brimmed hat, long sleeve columbia shirt, fishing pants (zippered legs I never took off), thin sun gloves, and a buff around my neck. Obviously, it's going to get hot, but honestly the only time I remember it being hot was at night. I guess because we were out of wet clothes, and setting up camp on hot rock shelves. I knew it would be warm at night so I brought a small battery powered fan I set up by my face. Worked great. It was the O2 fan from Academy. Maybe 6 inches wide. I tested it before the trip and with one set of batteries it last over 60 hours on low. Anyway, hope this helps some.

Scott