Bedroll

sleepyTX

Bedroll

Post by sleepyTX »

I have been researching bedrolls. Does anyone use one or have experience with them?

I found this one on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANVAS-SLEEPING ... 3ced8fa61e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Re: Bedroll

Post by Firefly49 »

Okay.........you've got me curious :D . Why do you want this/what purpose? For hunting/car-camping?.....or carrying in yak for overnight river trips?

I don't know anything about this other than what I've read and it looks like something you use "in addition to" a sleeping bag and pad you already have & then be able to roll it all up together for transport or to provide extra insulation (but canvass wouldn't be water-proof against ground moisture/ condensation/rainy weather, and if you're hauling it in a yak you'd probably want to put it in a drybag anyway???) I guess I'm asking because I do river camping and not sure I'd like the extra 20-25# of that bulky canvass roll -- plus still needing to protect it from water with a drybag........???

Just my thoughts, but I'm going to assume you'll be hauling your bedding in a yak. One can just scrunch down and stuff all you need in a waterproof drybag ---- your sleeping bag, maybe a lightweight extra blanket if needed, small tarp /or piece of Tyvek for groundcloth or to wrap over for rain, pad (....or, I bring a twin air mattress + pump 'cause I like comfort, lol).
sleepyTX

Post by sleepyTX »

Firefly
All of the above. I have two boys in scouts and also do float trips. I am just exploring the idea. I hate sleeping bags because i am 6'8" and never have found one that fits. I was thinking of putting some sheets and blankets in it instead.

Actually in my experience canvas can be pretty waterproof. I.like the idea of laying down some tyvec under it to prevent ground picking. The canvas should be able to shed the water splashed by paddling. If you can prop the rain flap up a little over your head I think it would fairly rain / dew proof. While I wouldn't want to be under on a hot summer night canvas is breathable.

My thoughts are kind of a weatherproofed pallet. I am just not willing to spend to much. Here is another link
http://www.duluthpack.com/outdoor-gear/ ... 22616.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ed
sleepyTX

Post by sleepyTX »

Kinda of what I was thinking of

We had a cut down tarp that we laid down on the floor or ground first then situated our bedroll on top so it was in the middle. The bedroll its self was not attached to the tarp this was so we could wash the bedroll in a regular washer. the bedroll was made up of a full size sheet and a full sized blanket we marked two stich lines lenghtwise down the pair leaving approx 30" in the center that was stiched. We stiched it up and folded and rolled within our tarp using clothesline rope to tie it. Mamma called them our tamale rolls I never knew they were cowboy rolls.
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

Just thinking out loud. All we ever had was canvas tents growing up and on until our kids were in about Jr. High. ..........cC
sleepyTX

Post by sleepyTX »

Same here.

BTW my previous post was a quote off of a website

One more link from my research
http://www.cowboycamp.net/cavalry_bedrolls.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Post by Firefly49 »

Aha! That explains it. I can see your thinking on the idea. Interesting. Whoo-ee....expensive on that last one! But lighterweight. I'm really not that familiar with canvass other than understanding that water will come in the tents if you touch it....and it's heavy. I saw where there were some sites that have plans for making one! Yeah... there's no weight to Tyvek, waterproof (print down) --- I keep forgetting to scrounge construction sites out here since I need to replace what I had..been using a heavy plastic shower curtain or tarp, lol.
fishr3

Post by fishr3 »

I have no experience with canvas or cotton sheet bed rolls, but I believe they would be more comfortable and more quiet than synthetic materials. My strategy has been to sleep in cotton clothes and use a lightweight synthetic sleeping bag on an air mattress, but it is a noisy bed.
Last edited by fishr3 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaimeInTexas

Post by JaimeInTexas »

If you are going to use it in cold and where there is a chance of getting it wet, and that includes sweating, do not use cotton.
pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

I love the Big Agnes sleep system for kayak camping. Incorporates bag and pad into one...
sleepyTX

Post by sleepyTX »

If I go this route I will either use a simple sheet of canvas or this set up I founf on Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANVAS-SLEEPING ... 3ced8fa61e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would put a self inflating mat in it as well as a couple of cotton sheets and wool blankets. The number of blankets depends on the weather. I kind of like fireflys tyvex idea and the tyvex could be wrapped around the outside to protect from water. My idea is to have a ready made bed which I can either roll out on the ground or a cot. Maybe a change of cloths as well. The idea is to reduce he number of bags.
pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

It would be a REALLY horrible idea to use anything canvas or cotton.

I'm a big fan of the Big Agnes system. https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Produ ... ilters/138" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your sleeping pad incorporates into your bag, so you wont slide off at night. Everything can easily compress into a smaller dry bag. Unless you are camping in extreme temps, I wouldn't recommend Down. It's more expensive and not water friendly.

I've had the Encampment model for a few years and really like it. If you are a bigger guy, check out the Hog Park.

Final note - a good sleeping bag is an investment. If properly cared for, should last you 10+ yrs.

Final, final note - ratings for sleeping bags give you the temperature for comfort, but assume you will be fully clothed, in proper gear. So a 15deg bag would be serviceable in 15deg temps, assuming you are fully clothed with a jacket, hat, etc. So, my 15deg bag is good in cold weather, but also fine in warmer weather - just wear less clothes and keep it unzipped.
sleepyTX

Post by sleepyTX »

Thanks for the recommendation but I am trying to get away from sleeping bags period. I have logged many hours in them but I am not a fan of them.
Canvas can be fairly water repellent. A sheet of tyvec around the outside will help with what little splash there usually is.
Actually I in my experience sleeping fully clothed in a sledging bag is a sure way to be coled I have done it before and it caused me to sweat, then as the night cooled I was in clamp cloths.
I am not set on canvas but want to work up a sheet and blanket system that I would find more comfortable but wouldbe more packable than the individual pieces.
OzFnD

Post by OzFnD »

G Day Mate

Maybe an Aussie can shed some light on " bed rolls" or what we prefer to call them " SWAGS"
In OZ they hugely popular and have a stronger follow in then tents of any kind
I am a fisho and shooter and spend weeks traveling remote and isolated areas of the Aussie bush and only ever use SWAGS, the weather here can be harsh wether it be desert or the tropics ( jungles ), I have 5 bedrolls or swags , and it's a heavy duty canvas with a a small semi circle hoop at one end , it takes about 3 seconds to roll out and set up , I have a 3 inch mattress inside and either sleep with just the zip fly screen over me or when it rains I use a canvas flap.

Swags are a bit part of Australian culture or history and in the modern day there are many versions , most hard core 4x4 clubs and hunting / fishing groups use them , they are great for touring when travelling long distances or need a quick set.

Do a YouTube search for " swag" and you will see heaps of links
Here is a random one I found
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ei0r7MQVA14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I live out of mine for weeks on end, prefer them over anything else
Had them in the minus temps , rain, storms , tropical heat etc and they are just simple and bullet proof ...

Cheers and beers from Oz

OzFnD
sleepyTX

Post by sleepyTX »

Oz
Thanks for the information those look awesome and take the idea a step further. Unfortunately there seems to be very little supply here in the US. I found a bunch on the web in Australia but only 2 here.

You have me serious thinking that of how to get one without breaking the bank

Thanks
Ed
OzFnD

Post by OzFnD »

sleepyTX wrote:Oz
Thanks for the information those look awesome and take the idea a step further. Unfortunately there seems to be very little supply here in the US. I found a bunch on the web in Australia but only 2 here.

You have me serious thinking that of how to get one without breaking the bank

Thanks
Ed
No worries

You need any further feedback or questions let me know
Mostly when touring I leave mine on my roof racks of the 4x4
And taking the aluminium boat ( tinnies as we call them here) up river for a few days
I am suprised they aren't selling much in the US , must be a cultural outdoor thing I don't know
There is many variations of them now with more players selling them in the local. Aussie outdoor market and a number getting away from traditional design.
I just through a sheet in mine during summer and just sleep with the mesh insect screen zipped up and just great sleeping under the stars, other reason I have the zip model is don't want the snakes getting too friendly, we have a few out here.

Maybe there is a market for swags in the US who knows

Cheers

OzFnD
sleepyTX

Post by sleepyTX »

Oz

If you ever have time I bet a lot of people would be interested in more information on swags

ED
jackh

Post by jackh »

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/acces ... sacks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are you looking for a bivy sack? There are materials today that are superior to canvas imo.
onelastcast03

Post by onelastcast03 »

I'm finding this topic very beneficial. I see uses for this in the very near future. Keep it coming. Thanks!
sleepyTX

Post by sleepyTX »

Wound uporderin one from Idaho off of Ebay.from Jorgenson Fabrics. I used it on last weekends overnighter and am pretty happy with it. I am going to have to fine tune the set up.though. Kept me dry despite a heavy dew.
With bedding it rolled up to 26"x11"