Hammock campers

rockportkayak
Location: Rockport,TX---Viking Reload,Viking 400 Lite, Viking 2plus1

Hammock campers

Post by rockportkayak »

How many people here use a hammock for camping? There is a Texas Hammock Hangers group and we are going to be doing a spring hang at Goose Island april 10-12. Just thought I would pass it on.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Re: Hammock campers

Post by larry long shadows »

how do you hang one on beach
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

I take it they will be camped in the wooded campsites, duh. You can hang a hammock along the bay if you are a redneck engineer. Tie one end to your truck roof rack and the other strap the the signs along the bulkhead then slowly pull your truck forward and tighten that puppy to your sleep number. Then if it rains just hang the tarp over a line tied between the post and the top of your truck and stake down the sides. If I do not have a sign to tie to I improvise---secret here that you have just got to be there, it involves being a friendly Texan with some snowbirds (the other white meat).

I rarely put up a tent for the past several years now, hammock or ground.

Earl
Chiyak

Post by Chiyak »

I'm new to the site and new to the area. I love to hammock camp and I've been wondering how that works for the beach. I've been looking at some hangers and wondering how they would work for the kayak and the beach.
Check them out at http://www.edgedomes.com/
Does the hang in April also involve kayaking?
Yakfoot

Post by Yakfoot »

I tried hanging at the beach one time. I used the headache rack of my PU and a piece of 2x4 about 8 ft long. I put a nail in he bottom of the 2x4 sticking out about 2 inches and another sticking in the side about 7 ft up to keep lines from slipping down. I dug a hole in the sand about a foot deep put a piece of 1x4 with a hole drilled in the center in the bottom of the hole and stuck the bottom nail in the 2x4 through the hole and covered it up. The 1x4 kept the 2x4 from sinking down into the sand (gave it a wide base). The whole thing promptly fell over, the hole wasn't deep enough, had to go a little deeper. I made a dead man anchor out of a piece of 1x4 about a foot long and buried it about 16 inches deep. It popped out of the sand as soon as I sat down in the hammock and I landed on my butt. I got the deadman to work by using a piece of 2x6 about 18 in long buried it about 18 in deep and by pouring water on the sand in the hole to help pack it. Loose dry sand near the dunes doesn't work very well. I tied the other end of the hammock to the head ache rack on my truck, but it was a little truck and although I only weigh about 170 it was enough to pull the suspension over a little bit, dropping the hammock height. I finally wound up having to tighten the hammock to almost chin high to compensate for give in the suspension and some stretch in the deadman guy line. By morning my butt was on the ground. If I use dead man anchors for any reason again I am going to use guy lines made out of amsteel/dyneema or something else with zero stretch. You can swing using a couple of 2x4 "trees" but it is a pain in the butt. Hammocks are for trees.
nlroberts78

Post by nlroberts78 »

I love my ENO double nest. I use it every time I go camping.
rockportkayak

Post by rockportkayak »

Just a reminder that we are doing a hammock hang april 10-12 at Goose Island. got about 30 people so far.
jackh

Post by jackh »

rockportkayak wrote:Just a reminder that we are doing a hammock hang april 10-12 at Goose Island. got about 30 people so far.
Are yall fishing too?
Mojo227

Post by Mojo227 »

Wish I could make that! I hang my hammock from the rack on my truck to the rack on my trailer when on the beach. Makes for a really nice set up with rain fly and all. Hard for me to go back to a tent....The biggest perk is being able to set up or break down camp in minutes.
rockportkayak

Post by rockportkayak »

There may be some fishing/kayaking as well. I was amazed at the number of people that brought kayaks to the previous events so I organized one in my neck of the woods.
sinkingship
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by sinkingship »

A little off topic but I saw this and thought I might throw it out there.

I used to hammock hang quite a bit and even went every year to the Texas Hang out in the fall at Lake Fairfield state park! However it would seem that the wife isnt into it as much anymore and when I do go camping I have to set up a tent for her and one for the dogs and their kennels. Well by the time I get them setup I usually have to setup myself in the dark!

Long story short I am thinking about getting out of hanging sport and was thinking about posting my 2 setups on here for sale. They are great for kayak camping or just hanging during normal camping. Both are Hennesey Hammocks, one is a bottom entry and the other has a side zip (I will get more info and images when I get home from work). I have multiple rain flys, snake skins on both, 100' of extra amsteel that I would be willing to sell with them.

I am very meticulous with anything I own and so everything is in immaculate conditon! Incase anyone was thinking about going and didnt have the gear to before hand...this would be a chance to get it without worrying about shipping and such!
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Coastal Country »

What model Hennessy's ya got Ship if they're the 300# range ones I'd be interested in the zip for sure and maybe the classic.
C2DJ

Post by C2DJ »

I may be interested as well sinkingship.
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

larry long shadows wrote:how do you hang one on beach
Like this

sinkingship
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by sinkingship »

When I get home from work this evening I will post up models and weight ratings. Also will get a bunch of pictures up as well.
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Alright thanks ship!
sinkingship
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by sinkingship »

Ok so the expedition on the left is up to 250 lbs and the ultralite backpacker on the right is rated for 200 lbs. I can get better pictures upon request. Each one has been stored indoors and is in a set of "snake skins" that keep them wrapped up. They both have a rain fly and I have one extra large one that I purchased separately.

I have close to 200' of amsteel that I can let got of as well. Was planning on making the custome suspensions for these things but never got around to it. You can find lots of info on it or join another forum like I did!

I don't remember what I paid for these or what they're worth...I do a little research tonight to try and find a fair price if anyone is interested.

Orrrrrr on the odd chance that someone has a double tent cot with rainfly to trade (I know that's a long shot but you never know).
C2DJ

Post by C2DJ »

I'm definitely interested.
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

I'd take one ship but I'm afraid I'd be at 100% capacity on the expedition, I better pass and save up for a explorer deluxe.
C2DJ

Post by C2DJ »

Since Javalina Russs passed on the Expedition. I am interested in it.... Thanks again for the Great deal on the yak, Javalina Russ!!!
sinkingship
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by sinkingship »

Ok I went to Hennessey's website to check on the pricing for the hammocks...Here is what I was able to come up with. Both hammocks will come with their snake skins at no charge.

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/#hammock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Expedition (250 lb rated) goes for $160.00 new

The Ultralite Backpacker (200 lb rated) with side zip is $250.00 new

The Hex rain fly silnylon which I am pretty sure mine is is $140.00 new (the regular one is $80.00 new) we can use the regular one's pricing just to be safe.

http://www.samsonrope.com/Pages/Product ... ductID=872" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is a link to amsteel just so you can see the ratings for this stuff. I have 2 sets of this one in light grey the other is a darker charcoal coloer. The light gray has about 85' and the dark is an even 100'. This stuff even though it is 1/8 thick has a weight rating/tensil strength of 2500 lbs.

I'd be willing to throw amsteel in with a hammock purchase if the price is right...Mind you at 1/8 thick it ranges between .40 - .50 per linear inch (not cheap twine).

Ok so if anyone is interested in anything just let me know and make me a fair offer. If nothing sells...I'll most likely be back at the fall Texas Hang out in Fairfield this November again!
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

C2DJ wrote:Since Javalina Russs passed on the Expedition. I am interested in it.... Thanks again for the Great deal on the yak, Javalina Russ!!!
Glad your liking the T160, have you taken her out yet? I'd get the expedition for the girlfriend but not sure if she'd take too it.
C2DJ

Post by C2DJ »

I have had it out a few times and love it, of course I don't know any different. I scored another good deal on a t140 for my wife and she likes her's as well. Glad we are finally getting some warmer weather so we can enjoy them more often. We even put my boys in the tank wells and they enjoy the trips too.
Javelina Russ wrote:
C2DJ wrote:Since Javalina Russs passed on the Expedition. I am interested in it.... Thanks again for the Great deal on the yak, Javalina Russ!!!
Glad your liking the T160, have you taken her out yet? I'd get the expedition for the girlfriend but not sure if she'd take too it.
rockportkayak

Post by rockportkayak »

We opted for the DD Jungle hammocks. They can be hung or setup on the ground like a bivy. Also looking at the Handy Hammock "poles" for free standing beach hanging. There will a lot of different hammocks at the hang April 10-12 at Goose Island. It is a bunch of the group from the November Fairfield hangs.