Planning a trip to the Brazos River Below PK

Texas Aggie '14

Planning a trip to the Brazos River Below PK

Post by Texas Aggie '14 »

I'm finally planning one of my bucket list trips. (Using a friends bachelor weekend as my excuse)
I've read a lot of good things about the brazos river below PK and this will be my first overnighter in a kayak. It will also be the first time my two friends try kayak fishing. So far what i have planned is staying in a cabin on PK friday night then hitting the water first thing saturday morning. I know there's a lot of wisdom on this forum and I'd love to learn from y'all.

What I'm looking for is advice on how to pack for this trip. I'll have a ride 135 and two pecador 12's. Also would like some tips on where to camp, expected duration of trip (from dam to rochelles), and what flies and lures to use.

Thanks in advance!
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Planning a trip to the Brazos River Below PK

Post by Hirsch »

There are a number of good reports up in the Reports section. The first time I did it as a one night run. The 3 trips since I made them two night trips. It is a much more enjoyable trip taken easy and savored.

Right now the river is running very low and you may be in for a good bit of wading. I would talk to Rochelles and get their read on it. You may wish to wait for the rains.
M.saxatilis

Re: Planning a trip to the Brazos River Below PK

Post by M.saxatilis »

Having recently completed a three day trip on that stretch of the river I would agree tht a phone call to Rochell's would be sage advice. It was doable back in June, but, not without a lot of "dragging". Give yourself plenty of time to complete this trip as draggin'is slower than floating. There is a fine sand bar at mile five, and I love to overnight at the island at Dalton's bend. Good luck.