Camping and kayak camping pay off.

bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Camping and kayak camping pay off.

Post by bowgarguide »

We had a pretty high wind and storms 4 days ago. Lost electricity and was out 4 days.one member of my house hold is on oxygen ,we have a oxygen generator and some bottles ,but she cant do without it
I started some topics earlier in the year about being prepared on another forum, the things I have done sure payed off, we never missed a beat. I had a generator and 30 gallons of gas ,that was enough to run us 5 days 24 7. we kept the oxygen flowing all the freezers and fridges cold lights in critical spots and the ac when we needed it.Had 30 days of water and food and meds ,also had another 30 gallons of gas in pickup if needed. Propane ice box and stove in the Casita travel trailer and the camp chef if we needed an oven, this was the second line of survival, moving to another location was the last resort but was doable with the trailer.
All in all we had everything we needed to make it in comfort. The camping gear from hunting and kayaking and our travel trailer gave us everything we needed.
There were a lot of folks that didn't even have a flashlight , lost all there food that was in freezer and fridge. They would have been in bad shape if the scope of this storm had been bigger or more sever .
I am pleased with our gear and supplies and do feel much safer in the event of a major disaster
Ron
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Re: Camping and kayak camping pay off.

Post by larry long shadows »

now thats self survival done right :clap: ..I know where I'm going when the *%$## hits the fan :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

I can remember growing up on the coast in the 50s and 60s. After hurricanes it was routine to make do with the Coleman gear and ice chests for a while.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

If an ice chest and coleman lanterns and stoves were all the gear I had we would have been in trouble big time. The way this storm hit there was no time to get ice or anything else until it was over.
Nothing to run the oxygen generator which would have been life threatening and also we would have lost over 500 lbs of food.
We had what we needed without having to leave the house,so like I said I am pleased with our preparations.

Ron
If it was just me I can take what is on me all the time and make it several weeks ,It want be fun,comfortable and I will probably wind up with a gastric disorder from untreated water,but I can make it
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

There is no doubt the demand for oxygen adds a new dimension.
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

Nice to hear it all worked for you in your time of need. Prep and thinking it through are key.

This is something I discuss with my family often. What will be needed in time of an event, where it is located and making sure you know how to use it. My largest gap right now is a generator. The storms that raked through here last week knocked a lot of folks off for several days. I have been mulling the generator for a while just keep looking at the natural gas models thinking that might be best but I think good ole gas probably is the right route.

Thanks for the post and keeping us all thinking.

Earl
Flatfish
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Flatfish »

We were without power for over 6 weeks after Hurricane Rita. Those who camp out fared far better.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Earl
I did a lot of looking before I bought this generator.

http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_49 ... rator.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

It isnt as quiet as a Honda but it isnt much louder. Burns less than a 1/2 gallon an hour ,I was getting 13 hours out of a tank. Mine starts on the first pull and has for the year I have owned it. I can buy 4 of these for the price of a Honda. I am pleased with it and really thinking of buying another as a backup.
I all so use this on a bowfishing rig so it sees a lot of use.
Ron
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Flatfish
Folks that lived through that were my inspiration to get prepared.
Ron
mike35

Post by mike35 »

you should look into a solar generator. provides the necessities and no noise.....and cheap to build yourself.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Mike
I am setting up a solar system on a trailer and will do some playing with it. Just starting off with 100 watt panel and one battery.
Ron
skfullen

Post by skfullen »

I bought and used a Honda EU2001 For Ike. It was great but cost me almost $1k back then. They sell for almost $1,200 now. I bought a Champion 1400/1800 watt surge generator from TSC last year and it works great. No, it isn't a Honda, but I got it for $159 on sale. They have gone up. I just picked up two of them for my boys. This year they were on sale for $169. I paid the extra $29 for a two-year replacement warranty.

My list of requirements for a generator:
- easy to move/load by one person (me)
- warrantied by a reputable company (TSC)
-long run-time on little fuel (rated at ten hours at 1/2 load and only holds 1.5 gallons)
-fuel shut-off valve
-able to run a small (5,200 btu) window unit

No, it won't run the whole house, but after a hurricane fuel is at a premium. I keep 15 gallons of treated fuel on premises. I figure I am good for a week with that plan.

The Honda EU2001 has more power and is quieter. It is also more efficient. BUT, when I go surf-fishing I feel a whole lot better tugging the Champion along to run a string of lights. If a big swell catches me off-guard I haven't lost a $1,200 gen-set!
mike35

Post by mike35 »

bowgarguide wrote:Mike
I am setting up a solar system on a trailer and will do some playing with it. Just starting off with 100 watt panel and one battery.
Ron

I have 3 batteries and a power inverter on my shark rack/trailer. with a 200 watt panel. charge all day and on all night. never drops below 12.4
I have a hotplate that I take with me along with a mini blender (for the wife for margaritas), totally love it