premade food for camping

Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

premade food for camping

Post by Alsatian »

I'm going on a hunt and I'm looking for meal ideas. Whatever we take is what we have. I'm specifically looking to precook the meals, vacuum seal them and then freeze them so when we get back to camp we can boil water and drop the bag in to heat up. Kind of like a MRE. Links to websites, your own recipes and any other ideas will be greatly appreciated. We don't have to pack anything so weight is not an issue. Usually I'd just cook all the food there, but we will be out for 10 days and I don't want to have to keep fresh food in a cooler that long.
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: premade food for camping

Post by FishingSETX »

Not really what you are looking for but the mountain house freeze dried meals are cheap, filling, and taste great. All it takes to rehydrate/cook is 2 cups boiling water and then let them sit about 10 mins. Eat right our of the pkg so no dishes to wash. That's what I usually bring on yak camping trips for breakfast and dinner and just do cliff bars for lunch. That's also what I do on all day hunting trips when we don't stay at the lease.

I'll post up some recipes for easy stew and quick chilli when I have more time that might be more what you are looking for
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Post by Firefly49 »

Breakfast or dinner the first couple days: You can pre-make gourmet omelets. Crack eggs into a bowl and whip them up as you would for a regular omelet. Pour the eggs into a Ziploc bag that you keep over ice in cooler. In separate bag/bags, put precooked mushrooms, ham, raw spinach, onions, tomatoes or whatever you like in an omelet. When you are ready to make breakfast, open the Ziploc bags, add the precooked food, squeeze out the air, close them and boil them in water about 13 minutes. Omelet roll comes out light and fluffy.
tiggere

Post by tiggere »

Google "Freezer bag cooking"...all you want and then some
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 2&t=185124" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :clap: :clap: :horse:
hdcowboy
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by hdcowboy »

I second Mountain House!
Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Alsatian »

Thanks for the tips. Google is your friend if you put in the right search phrase. I wasn't doing that and was getting frustrated. "freezer bag cooking" has been a huge help. Thanks again everyone.
Tomkat07

Post by Tomkat07 »

Cant go wrong with minute rice. Then you can add anything into it you want. Even chicken noodle soup from a can. Its awesome like that.
MagicYaker

Post by MagicYaker »

FishingSETX wrote:Not really what you are looking for but the mountain house freeze dried meals are cheap, filling, and taste great. All it takes to rehydrate/cook is 2 cups boiling water and then let them sit about 10 mins. Eat right our of the pkg so no dishes to wash. That's what I usually bring on yak camping trips for breakfast and dinner and just do cliff bars for lunch. That's also what I do on all day hunting trips when we don't stay at the lease.

I'll post up some recipes for easy stew and quick chilli when I have more time that might be more what you are looking for

X2
t100

Post by t100 »

If you want eggs, crack the shell and put the raw eggs in a nylagene bottle. Pour out desired number of eggs to cook. Read this and it works and no egg mess in the cooler!!
Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

I recently went on 3 day camping trip and had read about the Mountain House freeze dried foods on here. I bought some for the trip along with my jetboil and they were great. Just a bit high in the sodium department but it was a trade off. Two cups of boiling water, dump, seal and shake good, wait 10 minutes and all you need is a fork or spoon. Throw the bag away after.
Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Alsatian »

So I guess I could post an update for you guys. I ended up making beef stroganoff, chicken tetrazzini, and pulled pork sliders. I made everything ahead of time and doubled the recipes. I put a large portion in a bag and vacuum sealed it and then froze it. Basically we had 2 meals of each which would last for us for 6 days. Breakfast was breakfast bar type stuff and lunch was sandwiches that we made at camp or in the field. We just threw the cooler with some food and drinks in the back of the truck. I just boiled a pot of water and dropped in three pouches of food and let it warm up, open and then dump on a paper plate. Pretty easy and didn't have to do a lot of cooking, plus it was food I would normally eat.
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

Thanks for the update. If you carry a cooler then that certainly opens to possibilities. Sounds like you came out pretty good.

I have been working on my own dried meals for about a year now. I quickly found out that in order to do it right you need a food dehydrator. With that tool and a vacuum sealer you can really do a lot. I made a few and tried them at home and worked out pretty good. However, it is still a lot of work and Mountain House and Backpackers Pantry have it down pretty well. If you travel light like I do their meals are pretty hard to beat. I do get the satisfaction of having made my own though. Now my twin boys have taken over the dehydrator and make everything from dried fruit, pasta, sides, there own version of "Cliff Bars". They keep a supply on hand so when we set off on a trip it is ready to go. I do not carry a cooler unless it is short trip and I am cooking meals for several others so the dried meals keep my load light and packing quick.

Earl