Island Camping Colorado River

fishr3

Island Camping Colorado River

Post by fishr3 »

Started the 2014 year off right kayakfishing and camping islands on the Colorado River. Weather forecast and water conditions were perfect so we loaded the kayaks and headed west from Katy in search of outdoor adventure.
Jan. 11-12 my son and I paddled 3 miles upstream from the TPWD boat ramp under Hwy 71B in LaGrange and camped on an island. We walked our boats past a few swift current stretches of river, and paddled the deeper slower pools. The terrain is mostly sand, so be prepared for "beach" camping. We saw lots of waterfowl, heard owls calling, and coyotes howling, and racoons chattering along the riverbank after sun down. It was wild!
Jan. 19-20 we set out for another outdoor adventure with a similar plan. We launched from the boat ramp at Colorado River RV park (Thousand Trails) and paddled upstream 3 miles to another island in the stream. We were happy to be able to paddle the entire stretch without getting out of our kayaks to walk past sections too swift to paddle up. Somes section had very shallow water but we managed to scoot past. We saw ducks and various waterfowl and wild turkeys up on the high bank. I think I may have spotted a bald eagle, but maybe it was a mexican eagle (cara cara).
I'm convinced that river island camping is the way to go. I have several Colorado River islands picked out on google earth maps and plan to try a different one each month if the weather and water conditions are favorable.
Attachments
Island west of Columbus
Island west of Columbus
Campsite
Campsite
Island north of LaGrange
Island north of LaGrange
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Re: Island Camping Colorado River

Post by larry long shadows »

Think this is the first post I have read where you paddle up stream and camp.. glad to see there is an island upstream In Columbus..that would sure save on a shuttle... Thanks for post
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Island Camping Colorado River

Post by Hirsch »

Looks like a good trip. Stay at it!!! :)