Input needed on river trip...probably colorado

sidlett

Input needed on river trip...probably colorado

Post by sidlett »

hey looking for a good scenic stretch on the colorado for novice kayakers...looking to do some fishing and camping out one night...probably float one morning til we camp somewhere then get up the next day and do the rest of the trip...on southwest paddlers the lake buchanan trip looks nice...is it a hard river to manage? how is the water flowing? any other stretches yall would recommend instead?
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Input needed on river trip...probably colorado

Post by Hirsch »

sidlett wrote:hey looking for a good scenic stretch on the colorado for novice kayakers...looking to do some fishing and camping out one night...probably float one morning til we camp somewhere then get up the next day and do the rest of the trip...on southwest paddlers the lake buchanan trip looks nice...is it a hard river to manage? how is the water flowing? any other stretches yall would recommend instead?
I suspect until we get real rain anything above Austin will be problematic. Below Austin to Smithville I can say that almost any stretch of 10-15 miles will fill the bill.
Last edited by Hirsch on Wed May 08, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MahaloMoFo

Post by MahaloMoFo »

I did the 26 mile, 2 day trip with Rising Phoenix Adventures in Bastrop. Really cool people and had a good time. Went from Bastrop to Smithville.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

MahaloMoFo wrote:I did the 26 mile, 2 day trip with Rising Phoenix Adventures in Bastrop. Really cool people and had a good time. Went from Bastrop to Smithville.
post some pic's or did you ?
jpo_tx113

Post by jpo_tx113 »

We hired someone in Columbus to take drop us off outside of town. We did 16 miles then camped on an island. The next day we did 5 miles to our pick up spot. Very scenic, lots of good flow and the river was easy to manage for a novice.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

larry long shadows wrote:
MahaloMoFo wrote:I did the 26 mile, 2 day trip with Rising Phoenix Adventures in Bastrop. Really cool people and had a good time. Went from Bastrop to Smithville.
post some pic's or did you ?
This is a report when a group of us took a leisurely 5 days to do it just over a year ago to cover that ground...err water.
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 85&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sidlett

Post by sidlett »

we are gonna be doing the bastrop trip with rising phoenix...any pro tips?
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

You doing the FM969 to Bastrop trip or starting at Bastrop and going downstream? If you are doing the former then that is an excellent stretch. Great scenery also. About 2/3rd of way down is a large island that makes a great campsite. It is an easy trip out the next day.
sidlett

Post by sidlett »

im not sure, its 20 miles or you can do the 26 she said....and it has a nice island for camping so it may be the one you are talking about, this will be my first river trip, i am stoked.
sidlett

Post by sidlett »

im pretty sure its starting in bastrop and floating to smithville
rpecot

Post by rpecot »

jpo_tx113 wrote:We hired someone in Columbus to take drop us off outside of town. We did 16 miles then camped on an island. The next day we did 5 miles to our pick up spot. Very scenic, lots of good flow and the river was easy to manage for a novice.
Who did you use? I'm somewhat new to Texas. I've paddled near Columbus, but have yet to do an overnight since we moved here.
jpo_tx113

Post by jpo_tx113 »

rpecot wrote:

Who did you use? I'm somewhat new to Texas. I've paddled near Columbus, but have yet to do an overnight since we moved here.

http://www.howellcanoe.com/Home_Page.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.tpwmagazine.com/archive/2009/sep/threedays/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sidlett

Post by sidlett »

we ended up using rising phoenix for the shuttle service, and camped on an island between bastrop and smithville, fun trip overall, but some major headwinds you have to paddle against about half the trip and no fish due to all the rain last week...still fun tho
rpecot

Post by rpecot »

jpo_tx113 wrote:http://www.howellcanoe.com/Home_Page.html

http://www.tpwmagazine.com/archive/2009/sep/threedays/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't called yet, but I'm planning on the same trip this weekend.