I'm not a good family camper......HELP!!!!!

Bad Luck Guy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

I'm not a good family camper......HELP!!!!!

Post by Bad Luck Guy »

Like the title says. I found a few places I could take the wife and kids that have cabins, electricity, and whatnot. No problem there. My wife met me when I was in college. She asked me to take the kids on the type of trips I used to go on. She doesn't know what she's asking. To say I was a primitive camper during college is an understatement. I need a gear list. I saw the sticky with helpful hints and they sound good but I noticed some of your camping pics and realize I am greatly outclassed. My camping was along a river bank in a one man tent/cot. I had a some extra clothes, way to start fire, mess kit, a light source, protien bars, crackers and canned tuna/chicken, water and purifying method incase, rope, knife, folding shovel, hatchet, gps and a camera with extra batteries. If it didn't fit on my back, it wasn't coming. The most luxurious camping I have done (usually meant a girl was coming) in college included my previously mentioned gear with 2 person tent instead, sleeping bags and a cooler of food that was more enjoyable to eat, two burner stove (incase) with propane but still pretty rough. When my boys get older, I know what to do with them. As far as a 5 year old, 2 year old and a wife, I am so lost. I know I should probably buy a shade canopy for the tough hours of the day. Obviously I need a 6+ person tent, maybe something with two rooms to separate gear from sleeping quarters. How do you entertain kids out there? I used to just hike up as high as I could in the area and just sit there...for hours. I played in the rapid parts of the river and so on. It doesn't sound "fun". I'm not buying an air conditioner, we'll just pick better days. I own a generator and can bring it but don't want to have to deal with bringing fuel or having to get some if we run out. So what makes camping more enjoyable for youth and women folk?
Pig Shack

Re: I'm not a good family camper......HELP!!!!!

Post by Pig Shack »

Short day trips w/food would be a great way to start exploring with your kids. Mine love to ride in the yak w/me, go swimming, and explore river and lake shores. Catching minnows, crawdads, turtles, and frogs is lots of fun for them, and keeps them busy for hours. Another advantage of the afternoon or morning trip is that if a kid gets in a bad mood or decides they want to go home it's no big loss you weren't planning on staying anyhow you have the option of leaving early w/out a major loss in time or treasure. Hope this helps.
andre3k

Post by andre3k »

Me and the wife started car camping with friends this year. Neither one of us had ever camped before in our lives. We pick state park campsites that have water and electricity. Bathrooms and showers are usually close to camp. Pretty much just packed based on common sense on what we thought we would need to spend a weekend outdoors in a tent. Now we have a list and know what to bring based on our needs, and we can fit everything for the both of us in three large rubbermaid containers. I cant make any suggestions on what to do with kids because we don't have any. But we do see them everywhere when we go camping so I don't think its as hard as it seems to keep them entertained. Just check a few camp checklists on line to get a general idea and then go from there. First time out you will forget the small stuff but you'll remember it for the next time.
DangerSquirrel

Post by DangerSquirrel »

x2 on state parks. depends on priorities though. Picnic tables and facilities vs 30x40 lot & possible neighbors. State Parks will also have electricity available to power a box fan and or a portable dvd player if nessecary. Bring an extension cord.

Livingston isn't far from you and they have Horse trail rides, (somebody would probably have to stay behind w the 2 year old though). They also have playgrounds,an observation tower, and a store in case you forgot something or run out of milk..

Your 5 year old can work on riding a bicycle or some ol fashioned catch with a ball. A $2.99 kite is awesome if there is a breeze. Coloring books(excellent tinder btw). Leaf rubbings w crayons.

Brazos Bend is pretty nice too. They have a monster telescope but check ahead for clear skies and a schedule.

Martin Dies Jr isnt very far. I took my 6 year old there and they had a reptile feeding. Alligators and Corn snakes. Right up her alley. Most State Parks have some sort of programs during the day and every one I've gone to was uncrowded and pretty entertaining. Inquire at the front office.

As far as food, We love hobo dinners. Foil pouch traditionally w a hunk of seasoned hamburger meat, chopped potatoes, baby carrots and onion. I've been substituting sweet potatoes. You can make them ahead of time, store in a gallon ziploc and freeze them. Your five year old can make her own. Bury in coals for 25 minutes, peel back foil and eat off a frisbee (or paper plate). Easy clean up. Been trying different variations. My wife does a bacon wrapped chicken breast and cheesy broccoli - 35 minutes. I've done split lobster tails, clams, fresh green beans and new potatoes. Those grill baskets for fish or hamburger patties work great too. Fajitas, steaks, chicken breast.

As far as bedding we use air matresses, I can use the twin when I go solo and they can use standard linen so you're not out for sleeping bags and a tent and and and all at the same time.

I've never brought my shade canopy. Shade can be found most of the time under trees. Do bring your folding shovel for fire tending and tent stake hammering. The fold out bag chairs go without saying..

Beware of racoons. Put your ice chest and food tote in your vehicle at night.

A week's worth of dryer lint makes great tinder and steel wool and a 9 volt is very Mr Wizard (just don't put them in the same pocket, I had a scoutmaster alter his jeans into pants that were pretty inappropriate for a scoutmaster)

S'MORES!!!!

Inspiration and motivation;
http://adventureparents.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mojo227

Post by Mojo227 »

Kids are easy. They love being outside,playing in the mudd,chasing bugs...... The wife on the other hand cost me a $28,000 bathroom to get her out in the "wilderness". Like stated before,state parks are great. They are well managed for the most part and you dont have to worry about the party crowd showing up at 1am to set up camp. The RV is great,dont get me wrong,but at times its nice to get my son out with just the basics and take it all in the way it was intended.
tentex

Post by tentex »

We used to tent camp but as age came on us, we moved into a 35' fifth wheel. When the kids 40 through 49 come and bring the grandkids we rent a cabin for them. You might think of renting a cabin say on the Guadalupe and then renting a yak for them. You would have the best of all worlds and comfort to. They have the river and a place to play while you get in some trout fishing. :wink:
texan4ut
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by texan4ut »

I would start at a state park and rent either a cabin, or a shelter. Running water, electricity, table, fire ring/grill. Some cabins have a/c but mostly with a screened shelter at least you have away to get from bugs. Buy a Thermocell as that will keep the skeeters away when outside. With electricity a box fan will keep the air moving. Just my .02
Gutter Girl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Gutter Girl »

texan4ut wrote:I would start at a state park and rent either a cabin, or a shelter. Running water, electricity, table, fire ring/grill. Some cabins have a/c but mostly with a screened shelter at least you have away to get from bugs. Buy a Thermocell as that will keep the skeeters away when outside. With electricity a box fan will keep the air moving. Just my .02
X2 on the cabins and shelters. Check out the TPWD website.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All kinds of good info there including individual park details (fees, amenities, brief directions etc). If you think you might use the park system a fair amount, check out a State Park Pass. $70 for a single pass - I didn't see anything for a family pass so they may not have them anymore. Once purchased, you and everyone in your vehicle gets the daily use fee waived. You could probably pay for the pass in a couple of trips! It also gives you a couple of nights camping at half price and a 10% discount at the park store. If you plan any day trips, it would be good to have!

I see lots of kids at the parks I visit and lots of bikes. Also, kids seem to be able to entertain themselves fairly well so I wouldn't worry too much. You'll do fine.

Lastly, I like to work off of a list. Not only is it a good reminder of what to take (depends on park or conditions) but it helps me pack faster.

Have fun and take lots of pictures. We love it when people share their adventures!

GG
planohog

Post by planohog »

I can say that, I started camping, much like you .. but on the coast. Woke up on the beach on top of
or in the back of a truck, looked in the ice chest.. hmm nothing but booze and bait. Hmm better catch
something or we have to leave soon. Years went by kids came grew up and left. During that time we didnt
camp on the beach much.. did day trips always with a umbrella or tarp to hide from the mid day sun.
More recent times, last kid out the door, we hit the beach many times, corpus, gorda, galveston, high island. , all
in the back of the truck ( has topper ) . Rather than go into all the things you may or maynot need, think
FUN.. ,
beach ( tx ) gets hot about 10am cools about 6pm summer, nights are good 80-85 with wind.
depending where , skeeters can be an issue with no wind.
beach. take a lantern.. so the kids can chase sand craps or find critters at the waters edge.
I could go on for hours on beach , pm if you want more.

TX state parks.. (* been to many of them * ) we have a 17' RV now but did visit many in back of the truck.
take bikes for the kids.. , most have a playground of some sort. , take a fan or two and extension cords.
most have walking trails and some have bike trails. TX state parks have lots of kids having fun.. that is one place that
kids can still be kids and run loose a little.

with kids goto place , even in dought , GARNER STATE PARK, reserve well in advance. thinking months.
there is cabins, ac tent spots, rv spots.. I wish i would have taken my kids there when they were kids.

another pretty good place we like is INKS , lots of water activities. there are cabins there too .

I dont care how the weather is .. or where you take them.. it will be a memory that will beat any movie
or toy you could buy for them .

i bet your friends would loan you any camp gear you might not have.

just do it .