Texoma Paddle

Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Texoma Paddle

Post by Earl »

This was the 2nd day in a row up on the lake looking for some striper activity. The day before it was 24F at 8am and did not warm out of the 30s all day. Today it was a balmy 42 at 8am and mustered its way up to 44 by 2:30. I packed a wet suit just in case the wind really came up but it was a pretty steady 15 out of the SE. I departed Platter Flats East at 8am and headed South along the OK shoreline which was protecting me from the brunt of the wind. I got one hit as I crossed from the small island where I launched to the far shoreline. So I also packed a stove, tea, coffee, blastmatch, lunch, and snacks. I was prepared to make a day of paddling out of it if the stripers were not cooperating. By 9:30 I had decided no stripers today and set out across the lake to Rocky Point on the TX side. The paddle across was about 30 degrees off of the wind with some occasional spray as the bow plowed through a wave.

I did not see another boat on the lake until I got to Rocky Point about 1:10 later, (10:40am). I fished the TX shoreline a bit and nada. So I paddled around the end of Rocky Point and found a favorite little beach on the West side of the point out of the wind. This made for a good spot to rest, light a fire, make some hot tea, and down some lunch. I got to use my new Blastmatch which worked great once I found some suitable tinder. I pealed off some of my clothing to dry it around the fire and sat and enjoyed my tea and lunch for about an hour and a half. I departed back to Platter Flats at 11:50 and once I rounded Rocky Point I could see the wind had come up a bit more and dark clouds to the South. The wind was in my hind quarter for the trip back and was a pretty quick ride with one hour to cross with one brief shower. I stopped and fished the OK shoreline a bit but nada. Made it back to my truck at 2pm. The round trip was 13.6 miles and averaged 3mph. Now I am off to my annual New Years Eve-Jan 2 paddle down the Colorado River from Webberville to Bastrop.

Destination in the distance
About half way
Rocky Point
Resting spot
See you on the water,

Earl
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Texoma Paddle

Post by bowgarguide »

Great write up and trip.
Thanks
Ron
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

nice report - thanks for taking the time to share it.
bruce_j

Post by bruce_j »

Curious what kind of yak you were in
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

It is a Ocean Kayak Trident 15.

Earl
uplandrun

Post by uplandrun »

What kind of bait were you using? Looks like we use the same kind of burner, once it is lit it will not be blown out. That lake is famous for big stripers in the winter.
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

Yep, I have had a lot of luck up on Texoma in the winter months. Below is a pick from last year on a very cold day 14 deg. If you look at the pic you can tell that the sand on the side of the kayak is frozen. This is where the waves would wash up on the bank and freeze. On that day I could hold my paddle up in the flats of my palms and it would freeze to my gloves. On that day I could not catch one under 20".

I typically use swim baits, many differnet types and colors. I have also started using "Thundersticks" a diving bait with a segmented tail and lots of big treble hooks.

Earl