Village Creek State Park Info

Auburn Angler

Village Creek State Park Info

Post by Auburn Angler »

Would anyone have an experience - either way - with Village Creek State Park? I was looking to take my 10 yr old scout on a camping/kayak trip. Appreciate any info -
Hammer-Time

Re: Village Creek State Park Info

Post by Hammer-Time »

I live about 5 minutes from the park and the Creek is right behind my house. The Creek is gorgeous and has plenty of sand bars to camp or play on. Water is usually clear and all sandy bottom. Very easy navigating also. We are actually doing a 2 day trip on the creek this weekend. I will post up pictures next week. Short trip launch would be Baby Galvez in Silsbee or a 6 hour trip would be Hwy 327 bridge in Silsbee. We are launching in Kountze for the over night trip. Mosquitoes are not bad and I have yet to see a snake on the creek. Bring a fishing pole for sure for the bass and perch. If you need any other information please let me know.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

I went once it is a nice lil park not real easy launch.. Walk in camp grounds never made it to swim area I would take a wagon to carry your stuff in..yall will have a great time
Attachments
entry
entry
river
river
launch
launch
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Hammer-Time wrote:I live about 5 minutes from the park and the Creek is right behind my house. The Creek is gorgeous and has plenty of sand bars to camp or play on. Water is usually clear and all sandy bottom. Very easy navigating also. We are actually doing a 2 day trip on the creek this weekend. I will post up pictures next week. Short trip launch would be Baby Galvez in Silsbee or a 6 hour trip would be Hwy 327 bridge in Silsbee. We are launching in Kountze for the over night trip. Mosquitoes are not bad and I have yet to see a snake on the creek. Bring a fishing pole for sure for the bass and perch. If you need any other information please let me know.
I would love to do a over night camp trip on The Creek some time looking forward to seeing your post next week..
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

My trip last year to Village Creek State Park was saved by 2 things. A kayak cart and a two wheel dolly.
It would have been a real bear to haul all of the gear to the camp site without them. Launching at the camp sites is easy going down, it was getting the yaks back up where extensive muscle power was needed. The trip on the water though made it all worth while.
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Post by Firefly49 »

It's been a year since I was there..... pretty area......enjoyed paddling the river. The campground is a bit different that most. All vehicles are parked in the lot and you have to portage all your gear along the paths back into the camp sites ....the closest is at least 500-600 feet from the parking area. Neat paths to follow and the sites are secluded back among the trees and brush. We didn't feel comfortable leaving the yaks overnight in the parking area.....but that was okay because we put the yaks on carts...and then loaded most of our gear on the yaks to haul to the campsite. Milret was smart...he brought a hand truck to use for the heavy coolers, etc!! The banks are really, really high and steep. We lowered the yaks down by rope. My 16' Loon hung over the edge several feet when the stern hit the water. There IS an area by the parking that's a put-in for canoes/yaks.....still a bit of a haul up in loose sand. Not to deter you from camping there...... it's a neat area and I'd go back. You just need to be prepared for some extra work...(and the canoe put-in would be less work, :lol: )

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 2&t=126007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Auburn Angler

Post by Auburn Angler »

Thank yall for the info. We might wait 'til fall to try the trip. Had shoulder surgery in March and do not think the shoulder is ready to haul my Hobie Outback up and down the banks....
Hammer-Time

Post by Hammer-Time »

Just an update: we were planning on launching at Hwy 418 in Kountze and pickup at Village Creek State Park (24 mile 2 day trip). I was just told that between Hwy 418 in Kountze and Hwy 327 in Silsbee, there are 26-29 large tree jams in the water due to low water conditions causing portaging out of the creek. They said that they had dropped off 3 different groups to do a 3 day trip and all called for pick up at Hwy 327 due to the portaging. We are now launching at 327 and picking up at Village Creek State Park. We are going to use Piney Woods Outfitters for the shuttle up @ $30 for the group. I will post reports and pictures after the trip. PS if you are camping on the creek then you need a permit from the Big Thicket office in Kountze, permit is free.
fisher of people

Post by fisher of people »

Look forward to the report, would be interested to hear about Piney Woods. I've used Eastex and like them a lot, but always good to know about other outfitters. And are you sure about the permit? I've done a four day trip on the creek without one. My understanding is that you need it for the Neches, but not Village Creek.
Hammer-Time

Post by Hammer-Time »

fisher of people wrote:Look forward to the report, would be interested to hear about Piney Woods. I've used Eastex and like them a lot, but always good to know about other outfitters. And are you sure about the permit? I've done a four day trip on the creek without one. My understanding is that you need it for the Neches, but not Village Creek.
Piney Woods is in Lumberton and is charging $30 or less for shuttle compared to $50 for Eastex. We had always used Eastex before, they have always done a good job. I called Big Thicket after looking at their site about the permit. They said that you do need a permit for overnight camping in the Big Thicket on Village Creek. I am sure that you wouldnt get into trouble, but just want to have everything needed. The office is only 15 minutes from my house. You only need 1 permit for the group as well.
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

We always use eastex, but its because we know the people. We've used piney woods on occasion when eastex was busy, and they are great too. If you camp at the crek, bring bug spray!!! Not for the skeeters, but for the chiggers!! Went geocaching there last week, and afterwards tried to count the chigger bites. Lost count at 130 :shock: I was busting brush all day though!
Hammer-Time

Post by Hammer-Time »

Great time. Saw some good buddies and had a great camping team. I have added some pictures below. Creek was a little low, but nothing too bad. We did see quite a few people using pool floats to float from 327 to Baby Galvez. There was tons of trash from Baby Galvez to 96 bridge. Not sure why people trash the beaches. Did not see 1 GW or Park Ranger. We got rained on, but it felt great. Very easy paddle, next trip will be longer and possibly do the Brazos or Spring Creek. We found a nice camp spot on a beach and set up very quick. We played washers, cooked some great food, and drank too much beer. I am still pretty worn out from the trip, but had a blast.
Attachments
Village Creek and Wedding 039.jpg
Village Creek and Wedding 045.jpg
Village Creek and Wedding 032.jpg
Hammer-Time

Post by Hammer-Time »

More pictures. My buddy had a pair of the 5 Finger Shoes??? and I definetly have to get some.
Attachments
Village Creek and Wedding 028.jpg
Village Creek and Wedding 053.jpg
Village Creek and Wedding 066.jpg
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Hammer-Time wrote:More pictures. My buddy had a pair of the 5 Finger Shoes??? and I definetly have to get some.

:D Looks like a great trip.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Thanks for report....Work Hard Play Hard