Grill

justletmefish
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Grill

Post by justletmefish »

What would be the best type of grill to pack into a kayak any ideals?
Gary R.

Re: Grill

Post by Gary R. »

How many people you looking to feed and what are you cooking.

When I camped on Matagorda Island as a kid, I just had and old wire tray that I would either put right over the fire for fish or you tilt the toward the fire for beef or chicken. Good thing, takes up very little space and is light. Got one in my yak. If you want I will give you my cooking kit list. It works for me.

Cost:

Wire Trays $6 bucks
Coals 2 bucks
Drift wood 0
Eating the
fresh fish you
caught priceless.

Gary
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

I bought two lightweight stainless steel foldables at Walmart, Dick's or Academy, I forget which. They were fairly inexpensive at $5 or $6 apiece. They were 6 1/2"x12" and larger are available of the same style. I bought two smaller for trips with larger groups under the theory that they would be easier to pack than one big one.

They may last forever for all I know, but if I get half a dozen trips out of each then I will be happy. For the savings in weight and space I will consider them semi-disposable.

When space was less a consideration I have used the racks from old ovens on their way to the dump with excellent results.
On the Guad
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by On the Guad »

Academy has a nice packable grill that folds up for between $8-$10. I paid $5 for mine at a store that went out. Works great and easy to carry along.
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

The foldable grates to use over a campfire work well .... this small propane unit that I have listed on the Miss board is also very handy, packs up well and works great for a kayak trip if there is nothing but damp driftwood around and the wind is howling .. you can grill fish or steaks or use a frying pan for breckfast or to fry up some fish.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 5&t=130693" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DNR

Post by DNR »

I just pull one out of my BBQ pit. Fits just right in my back well. I wrap a HEB bag over it to keep the yak clean.
Find some rocks to set it up on.

You definitely want to bring charcoal, driftwood taste nasty.
I put it in a coulpe of 1 gal. baggies and shove it in the back hull.

Nothing better than steaks or porkchops after a long day of paddleing and fishing.
Add a baked potato or veggies in foil and your in business.
justletmefish
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by justletmefish »

TD wrote:The foldable grates to use over a campfire work well .... this small propane unit that I have listed on the Miss board is also very handy, packs up well and works great for a kayak trip if there is nothing but damp driftwood around and the wind is howling .. you can grill fish or steaks or use a frying pan for breckfast or to fry up some fish.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 5&t=130693" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah thats what I'm lookin for. Mre's are sweet but to cook would be sweeter!