Col. River Bastrop - Smithville next weekend.

texasmonster

Col. River Bastrop - Smithville next weekend.

Post by texasmonster »

Well I just sold my one kayak and got my new cobra fish n dive ordered and hopefully it will be here in time.

We are going from Bastrop to Smithville (2days 1night) starting next saturday. Has anyone gone recently and had any luck fishing?

Hope the river goes down
Hope it does not rain
Hope the new kayak comes in time
canoe nut

Re: Col. River Bastrop - Smithville next weekend.

Post by canoe nut »

I have done this same section of river, it can be nice, but after all the rain the fishing may not be as good for bass and the like, catfish might be good. One thing to note, camping spots are almost nonexistant. I had the same idea last time I went, ended up basically going all the way to Smithville, we fortunaley found a site about 4 miles before Smthville just as it got dark. Most of the river bank is just not possible and what sites looked possible were loaded with poison ivy. That sh@# is miserable. Avoid camping at any cattle watering areas, or you'll have evening and morning company.

A section that I really enjoyed is from Plum Creek Park to LaGrange, fishing was good and campsites were more plentiful, though higher water will take a lot of the fine sand bar sites.

Good luck.
texasmonster

Re: Col. River Bastrop - Smithville next weekend.

Post by texasmonster »

I am hoping the water will go down and maybe clean up some of the islands and give us a good camping spot.