Guadalupe Mountains Backcountry Trip

fisher_of_man

Re: Guadalupe Mountains Backcountry Trip

Post by fisher_of_man »

Beve,
thanks!...that's a huge help! I've been trying to get all my stuff together around here and find someone that would be interested in going with me. but I think I'm going to have to wait a little before I can make the trip. probably at least until after the first of the year. I just wanted to get all the input and info I can so that I can plan the trip accordingly. Sounds like a great place and a great time...I can't wait to go! thanks for all the answers and advice...it really is very helpful!

I'm guessing the trails are easily marked and easily identified? I'm not going to have to be a navagation expert to find it all, right? been a while since I did any navigation/orienteering from my scouting days. I'm sure I could figure it out, but would prefer not to have to on this trip.

if you were to go thru the gate at the Lincoln National forest, can you camp relatively close to the gate or is there not a place where camping is allowed that close to the gate?

I'm guessing by the way you worded it, that you guys hiked up to the notch and then returned back to the McKittrick day use area?

were there many people camping in the wilderness ridge campsite? would you be able to use a hammock or are they more suited for tents?

what do you do for the permit? do you have to reserve them ahead of time or can you just get them when you arrive? looks like from the website that backpack stoves are ok , but open fires are not?

thanks again for all the info and your time!
Beve
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Beve »

fisher_of_man wrote:Beve,
thanks!...that's a huge help! I've been trying to get all my stuff together around here and find someone that would be interested in going with me. but I think I'm going to have to wait a little before I can make the trip. probably at least until after the first of the year. I just wanted to get all the input and info I can so that I can plan the trip accordingly. Sounds like a great place and a great time...I can't wait to go! thanks for all the answers and advice...it really is very helpful!

I'm guessing the trails are easily marked and easily identified? I'm not going to have to be a navagation expert to find it all, right? been a while since I did any navigation/orienteering from my scouting days. I'm sure I could figure it out, but would prefer not to have to on this trip.

if you were to go thru the gate at the Lincoln National forest, can you camp relatively close to the gate or is there not a place where camping is allowed that close to the gate?

I'm guessing by the way you worded it, that you guys hiked up to the notch and then returned back to the McKittrick day use area?

were there many people camping in the wilderness ridge campsite? would you be able to use a hammock or are they more suited for tents?

what do you do for the permit? do you have to reserve them ahead of time or can you just get them when you arrive? looks like from the website that backpack stoves are ok , but open fires are not?

thanks again for all the info and your time!

Trails are in good shape. Should be no issue staying on them. There are maverick trails to cut time on some of the downslopes but they ask folks not to use those due to erosion.

You can basically camp wherever you want on the Lincoln Forest side. Once through the gate, there is a spot about 30-50 yards up on the right where there is fire ring remnants. You could camp there but it would be a little rough. I am sure there are better spots further in if you investigate.

The backcountry permits are good for two weeks and are FREE. My whole visit there was $5. :shock: They do need to know where you plan to camp though as there are so many sites to go around, but that being said after chatting with the rangers they said they are busy during fall foliage and spring break, that's about it. As for Wilderness ridge, there were nary a soul up there and one of the neatest campsite areas I have seen. They say hardly anybody camps up there. Some geology groups do the first part of trail up to the ridge but stop and go back.
And yeah backpack stove fine, no open fires....but those are ok in Lincoln National Forest...
You could use a hammock in some spots. The sites are great for tents though and have windbreaks which help a ton.

Yeah we did the up and back in McKittrick.

Your gonna have a blast!
fisher_of_man

Post by fisher_of_man »

Beve,
again...thank you very much. sounds great...I can't wait to go!
Arlon

Post by Arlon »

What a wealth of info. I'm supposed to be moving to Midland this summer. This kind of trip might help ease the pain! Sorry for digging up an old post but I just had to say thanks for he detailed info. I book marked it for my "things to do around Midland" folder.. (-:}