Ever camped in the Ozarks?

bug-e

Ever camped in the Ozarks?

Post by bug-e »

Do any of you have experience in the Ozarks? I'm thinking a future family trip to beat the heat and see some hill country (or should I say hillbilly country? :) ). I visited the Ozarks once about 20 years ago when I was in college and thought the place was really beautiful. I would like to find some nice places to camp, hike, maybe do a little fishing, etc., with the family.
Thanks,
Bug-e
muley09

Re: Ever camped in the Ozarks?

Post by muley09 »

Dont really remember much about it either, but I did go to lake of the ozarks once when I was a kid. I tagged along with my uncle his wife. We did some fishing and stayed at his in-laws condo. Sure was a beautiful place. You're family will have a blast. Im sure you know.
cameradoc

Post by cameradoc »

Bug-e,
I have camped in the Ouachita (wash-e-taw) National Forest (free), outside of Mt. Ida about 10 miles. Remote, on the Ouachita river at the headwaters of Lake Ouachita. There is quartz crystal mining all along the Hwy to Hot Springs (30 miles) Kids love it too!. Murfresburo has the open pit diamond mine (30 miles ish?). Lots of scenery, fall colors can be fantastic. Winter can get bitterly cold, Summer can be hot and 'buggy', but fall and spring are heavenly. I didn't have my kayak back when I went, so you can look into the Lake Ouachita camping and paddeling opportunities. Post up on your return!
Have Fun!
MONSTER
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by MONSTER »

We camped there over 30yrs ago. I remember it was beautiful, and we had a blast paddling canoes down the river. Caught a few fish, and then it started raining. Other than almost freezing to death, it was a blast.
bug-e

Post by bug-e »

Thanks guys,
I doubt we get to the Ozarks this fall, although seeing some foliage would be fantastic, but it's a real possibility for a late May/early June trip. Seems like it should be cooler than central Texas that time of the year. My wife and I also miss being within a days drive of the southern Appalachians (we both lived in the southeast for many years). The mountains in west Texas are great, but pretty darn dry and warm in late May/early June (and a real haul from my house).

I saw part of a PBS documentary on the Buffalo River last night which prompted my interest. I live in College Station and was kind of shocked to find out that it's "only" about eight to nine hours to the Ozarks from CS. That's closer than the Guadeloupe Mountains! Texas is amazingly big! :)
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

Bug-e, see my report on the Buffalo River from May of this year. I had the chance to make another trip up there this weekend but I have to work. I was up on the Illinois River outside of Tahlequah last weekend and it is also very scenic. I wish I could pull off another week long trip as this fall but just cannot get away. I am hoping to make another trip up there next spring. It was a 6 hr drive from Plano. There are plenty of outfitters up there that can shuttle you and rent canoes.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... r#p1272875" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will 2nd thw Quachita mountains. They are closer and offer some great hiking opportunities in southeastern OK and into Ar. Just be carfeul during dear season.

Earl
muley09

Post by muley09 »

We hunt out in Sanderson, TX. (about halfway from Del Rio to El Paso on Hwy 90.) Every Fall we take a drive out there and I absolutely love the trip. It may seem boring at times but when you get to national landmarks, like Langtry (Judge Roy Beans Courthouse....The law of the Old west) and things like the Pecos river Bridge (Tallest suspension bridge in TX) ....it makes it very worthwhile. Not to mention you guys could stop along Amistad and grab a picnic sandwich or something. Maybe get a couple of lines wet.
As dumb as this may sound..."I love Hwy 90, and all it has to offer"...if you head out that way, you'll know exactly what im talking about. Plus if the kids harldy ever get that way, this will give them something to remember for a lifetime. Lastly, if they dont get crap out of it...atleast you guys spent some good time together...
Shredded_Wheat

Post by Shredded_Wheat »

I lived in Eureka Springs, AR in the Ozarks for the past 4 years until October of last year when I moved back to HELL (ie Houston, TX) The Ozarks are beautiful. I would highly recommend fishing for rainbow trout on the white river. Also there are alot of coves to fish on Beaver Lake (the water is very deep right off the shore though). There are many other great rivers and lakes up there and the country is beautiful. Any other questions let me know. I never as sad as it is got to go on the Buffalo River but it is supposed to be awesome!
Dogpaddlin

Post by Dogpaddlin »

Earl,

I remember when you made your original post. Those are still some of the best/coolest pictures I have seen on TKF.
NTXAg
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by NTXAg »

Spent a few nights up there in college with the rib. Make the Hawksbill Crag loop when the high was 30 degrees. Absolutely gorgeous, the little waterfall was frozen solid, was amazing, we were the only ones there too.
AggieWayne

Post by AggieWayne »

Stay away! Our campsites are already full of campers from TEXAS!! :evil: Us poor ole' hillbillies want to keep this place to ourselves!LOL
OK, if you must come, and spend your money in our great state, I would recomend Bull Shoals State Park (on the White River, below the dam, trout fishing);
Buffalo Point NSR Park on the Buffalo River, (camping, canoeing/kayaking, and fishing).
Arkansas has great State Parks, look online
http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Drmsfish

Post by Drmsfish »

I backpacked in a wildnerness area in souther MO, I believe near Dora, MO. We tried for 2 days for trout only to discover our research in error as they were further down river based on dams. We went to a drive up state park camping area 10 miles or so downriver. It's beautiful there, even if the trout always give me fits.
NTXAg
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by NTXAg »

AggieWayne wrote:Stay away! Our campsites are already full of campers from TEXAS!! :evil: Us poor ole' hillbillies want to keep this place to ourselves!LOL
OK, if you must come, and spend your money in our great state, I would recomend Bull Shoals State Park (on the White River, below the dam, trout fishing);
Buffalo Point NSR Park on the Buffalo River, (camping, canoeing/kayaking, and fishing).
Arkansas has great State Parks, look online
http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Isn't the White famous for big brown trout?

I had the worst vacation of my life on the Buffalo River (partially because we brought no fishing gear and people were catching smallies left and right.)