Camping Destination Of The Week..

Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Camping Destination Of The Week..

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Much like Beve's Fish Of The week, I've been tossing around a DOW (Distination Of The Week). Obviously anyone can post a report and we'll take the reports and select one distination of the week.

Something with all the info and some additional personal experiences would work I think... For instance:

Lake Brownwood State Park
RR 5 Box 160, Brownwood, TX 76801 (325) 784-5223

TPWD: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/find ... brownwood/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We stayed at Lake Brownwood State Park for 3 days and 2 nights. With the recent drought the water levels are a bit low but nothing extreme.

The fishing is solid. There is a rock/gravel/limestone bottom and the fishing can be great early morning over the rocks when the sun is just breaking the surface. The boaters we encountered were courteous (we were in kayaks of course) and we only saw one PWC while out there. The PWC was far enough off that it didn't concern us.

There are a couple of islands with boat docks and as you'd expect, the boat docks hold fish.

There is a lighted fishing pier for night fishing but it isn't large enough on the "T" end for more than 4 or 5 anglers and most of the local riff raff gets out there early and they set up 2 or 3 rods each so I wouldn't worry about the pier. There are plenty of places to fish from the shore.

The RV area and primitive camping areas are kept up nicely.

We stayed in a cabin (Cabin #15, at $67/night). They have firewood for the fireplace stacked up for you when you get there. There is also a fire ring, outdoor grill and outdoor light. If you want a cabin with a view of the lake, be sure to ask for it when you make your reservations because some cabins don't have views of the lake due to the thick brush and trees.

There is a bait shop and corner store about 2 minutes out the front gate of the park.

There is a park store as well but it is closed on Sundays.

There are several lodges (see website) if you have a group of scouts or other folks. Some of the lodges hold over 100 folks and some around 12-20 folks.

What do y'all think? Maybe we'll hear about a destination we didn't know about before...
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Re: Camping Destination Of The Week..

Post by Bigrock »

Sounds like a fun thread.....

If I ever WENT CAMPING anymore it would be a lot more fun. :(
El Ritmo

Post by El Ritmo »

I love the idea. Our next camping trip will be to the Canyon of the Eagles in a few weeks.
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

Bill - I wish I had something of substance to add - but havent been camping in some time and my info would be dated. Are you thinking that the posts should be current season only to keep the data relevant?

love the idea, thanks for starting it.
Tradercj

Post by Tradercj »

I like the idea and think it would be helpful if a picture of water access was included.
Boat ram, bank, pier or whatever is available.
Camping Yakker

Post by Camping Yakker »

Bill, is o c fisher a state park or corp of engineers park?. I think it might be some kind of partnership. I'm wondering if my golden age pass is good there and what the rates are. I cant find a working phone # on the net. thanks.
Gutter Girl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Gutter Girl »

Oh I love this idea! Good timing as it's cooling off enough for all of us to get out and camp. If I'm not gone camping this weekend, I hope to the following weekend, something close by. And I already have at least one trip planned for November. I love this time of year in TX!!!!!
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Camping Yakker wrote:Bill, is o c fisher a state park or corp of engineers park?. I think it might be some kind of partnership. I'm wondering if my golden age pass is good there and what the rates are. I cant find a working phone # on the net. thanks.
I use my state park pass their amigo so yours is good.
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Chief Brody wrote:Bill - I wish I had something of substance to add - but havent been camping in some time and my info would be dated. Are you thinking that the posts should be current season only to keep the data relevant?

love the idea, thanks for starting it.
Agreed. Just because someone may have stayed there 6 months ago doesn't mean it can't be posted again with updated info, especially after the rains and such.
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Post by Firefly49 »

This is an absolutely AWESOME idea!!! I'm always looking for new places but hestitate because of so many unknowns. Perhaps this might also encourage TKFer's to gather together more often for future outings :D
dcoates
Location: HOBIE PRO ANGLER, OUTBACK, OK PROWLER BIG GAME , ARANSAS PASS

Post by dcoates »

Spent our trip at Inks Lake State Park last month.
great place to yak!
calm winds in the morning, caught a couple bluegill early on, tried everything in the yak, they only wanted worms.
early evening same thing but the yellow cats were around the piers.
yakked around the coves and fished some more...hit and miss.
it was just fun to yak around without PB hassles(went during the week)
great weather and no skeeters(lots of bats up there!!!)
very nice park with lots of spots on or near the water.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

dcoates - I love Inks Lake / State Park
I like to paddle the perimeter of the lake
up the right side from the park to the Buchanan dam spillway
then back down the left side to the Inks Lk dam
and then back to the park,
the beautiful campround
great little golf course