Hennesy Hammock, , my thoughts

Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Hennesy Hammock, , my thoughts

Post by Randy »

I had picked up one of those Hennesey hammocks last week and was still alittle apprehensive it it was practicle for me.
So I took it along this weekend, to see where and how I could use it.

While out on our trip, we found an island, and I had to break it out.

Setting it up was quick and easy,,even though the rope slipped the first time and my BUTT thumped on the ground.
After reading on the Hennesy website about setting the rain fly up using kayak paddles. I had to try that just to see, now this could come in handy just about anyplace !!!

Once back at the camp ground, I looked around to see where else I could hang the hammock besides depending on 2 trees

I had also read where the hennesy owners were using sleeping bag pads in the hammock, so naturally I had to try that also. here is a self inflating sleeping bag pad inside the hammock, WOW, what a difference.
I think this is going to be a practicle piece of kayak/camping equipment as I move along with it.
CelticKid

Re: Hennesy Hammock, , my thoughts

Post by CelticKid »

Great review Randy...You just helped me make up my mind....Todd.
osochuck
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by osochuck »

thanks for the review always wondered how those would be
traveling man

Post by traveling man »

What a great review! Looking at the paddle thing I bet it could be set up on the ground and used as a tent if you found yourself on a treeless sandbar.
LC yakr

Post by LC yakr »

Question --- how easy was it to enter? Curious....very nice concept!
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Post by Randy »

LC yakr wrote:Question --- how easy was it to enter? Curious....very nice concept!
Well ya get in through the bottom, it was different at first, but really easy to do,,,,
Mr23779

Post by Mr23779 »

Randy,

Congrats! :clap:

Send your new hammock to 2QZQ for the zipper mod of your choice (http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/id2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Opens up a ton of possibilities!
My official review is at http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/show ... php?t=8319" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had them do my Exped Asym with mod#2. They do such phenomenal work you'll SWEAR it came from the factory like that.

Want to learn more? Head over to http://www.hammockforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Too Busy

Post by Too Busy »

I started sleeping in a hammock a couple of years ago on Boy Scout outings.... I'll never go back to sleeping on the ground.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

I bought a Hennessy back in 1998 at Houston Canoe Club's Rendezvous.
Back then the fly just barely coved the hammock.
This is how I modified the fly to keep it centered over the hammock
and by doing this I got rid of the tie out lines that keep it from rocking (much better to rock)

Then I took a clear plastic drop cloth and made a much larger rain fly that goes over the small fly.
It's very light and really keeps any rain out - period !!
The other BIG advantage of the clear plastic rain cover is I can see out when I'm in the hammock.

BUT... if I was buying a new hammock today it wouldn't be a Hennessy - it would be -
a much better design
http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I was in Vietnam we slept in the Army issue jungle hammock, when we had a place to hang them
we used a mosquito net if we had one and our ponchos for the rain fly.

bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Capt Jack
Your thoughts on why the mosquito is better?
Ron
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

bowgarguide wrote:Capt Jack
Your thoughts on why the mosquito is better?
Ron
Ron - The Hennessy works OK as a tropical hammock but if you are going to use it where it gets cold at night you either have to make an exterior hammock quilt for it of figure out how to shove a foam sleeping pad inside, then get on top of the pad in a sleeping bag.

The Mosquito/Jungle hammock has an exterior pocket on the bottom of the hammock made for a foam sleeping pad- MUCH BETTER !!

The interesting slit in the belly of the Hennessy, for getting in and out is really a pain in the butt. For one reason the sleeping pad for insulation, but mainly... it is never completely closed and the mosquitoes buzz around under the hammock and don't take any time at all to find any opening. Then they are in your net hammock with you.

Also, If you are using the Hennessy on the ground because of no trees, with the fly between your kayak paddle halves, getting in and out of the belly slit on the bottom is a major pain. - doesn't work!!

Mosquito/Jungle hammock has a zipper down one side that really keeps the bugs out and makes it easy to get in and out either with the hammock hung or on the ground.
--------

The interesting discovery with the hammocks was using the clear plastic rain fly. It is so much better when you can see out when you hear something. With a solid opaque rain fly you might as well be in a closet.
Mr23779

Post by Mr23779 »

CaptJack wrote:The Hennessy works OK as a tropical hammock but if you are going to use it where it gets cold at night you either have to make an exterior hammock quilt for it of figure out how to shove a foam sleeping pad inside, then get on top of the pad in a sleeping bag.
Many people use underquilts without the need for sleeping pads. Ed Speer makes a SnugFit underquilt that works with the HH but John at Kick Ass Quilts makes the Potomac underquilt specifically designed for the HH. (http://kickassquilts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SnugFit.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) I have both underquilts and have used them many times. VERY WARM...and no need for a pad!

Others like the Exped DownMat 9 (http://www.rei.com/product/780366" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) or the smaller Exped DownMat 7 inflatable pads with goose down instead of, or in addition to, using underquilts.

CaptJack wrote:The Mosquito/Jungle hammock has an exterior pocket on the bottom of the hammock made for a foam sleeping pad- MUCH BETTER !!
There are MANY Mosquito Hammock fans. While I've not owned a MH, I do own a Warbonnet Blackbird Hammock that has a double layer and CaptJack is right: it is MUCH BETTER to have a double layer. You open the layers and slide a mat, inflatable pad, etc, inside the folds. This decreases the likelihood of it sliding around on you at night while you adjust and keeps you directly off said mat or pad. I like to feel the silky material of my hammocks instead of my mat or pads. (See the Blackbird here: http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.net/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

CaptJack wrote:The interesting slit in the belly of the Hennessy, for getting in and out is really a pain in the butt. For one reason the sleeping pad for insulation, but mainly... it is never completely closed and the mosquitoes buzz around under the hammock and don't take any time at all to find any opening. Then they are in your net hammock with you.
I agree. It can be a pain to get in and out of the HH slit. The hard velcro side of the slit always rubs my legs raw as I get in and out during the night for potty breaks! Ouch!

That's why I got the 2QZQ #2 zipper mod! (http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/id2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Makes a WORLD of difference for my HH Exped! I now have the option of it being totally unzipped on one side, partially unzipped on the other, zipped up and gain entry from the bottom, or unzip both sides for a wide-open, top-loading hammock.

CaptJack wrote:Also, If you are using the Hennessy on the ground because of no trees, with the fly between your kayak paddle halves, getting in and out of the belly slit on the bottom is a major pain. - doesn't work!! Mosquito/Jungle hammock has a zipper down one side that really keeps the bugs out and makes it easy to get in and out either with the hammock hung or on the ground.
The 2QZQ zipper mods will take care of that issue.

The first thing I usually do with all my hammocks, other than my Blackbird which already comes this way, is to switch from the line/cord-wrap suspension to webbing/cinch buckle and carabiner suspension. Makes setup and take down a breeze!

I use both my HH Exped and Warbonnet Blackbird each season. Love them both for various reasons.
I've also used ENO hammocks, Clark Jungle hammocks, Trek Light hammocks, and Grand Trunk hammocks.

Here's my Warbonnet Blackbird, webbing/tri-ring suspension system, and Speer SnugFit underquilt...
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Randy »

I'm gonna leave mine stock for now,, it won't replace my tent and definately not my gear trailer, I haven't had it long enough to get mad at it. Time will tell though. For me and my intended use I think it will be just fine.
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

Very Good Thread Guys ...... I appreciate all of the info here .. am learning a lot about hammocks from this thread 8)
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

This is a informative thread.
I have to say I am not a fan ,I will stay with my tents,I sleep on my side and they are just not comfortable to me.
The last hammock I used was in Nam and they beat on the ground but I still didnt like them.
Different strokes.
But I do enjoy reading about the improvements.
Ron
Mr23779

Post by Mr23779 »

bowgarguide wrote:I sleep on my side and they are just not comfortable to me.
You'd change your mind if I let you use my Blackbird. I sleep on my side in it without any problems at all.
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Randy »

I added another hammock to the stock, since I couldn't find much info on the Army Surplus style hamocks for $44.00, I gambled and got one.

Compared to the Hennesy for set up time, it takes alittle longer to set up.
It is a warm weather hammock, and actually gets more ventalation than the expensive Hennesy After sleeping in the Surplus style hammock last night, it stays in the inventory. It slept good or I was just really tired.

It has a zipper the whole length of one side for getting in, and a tad bit bulkier. Was it worth the 44 bucks, I think so....Does it get me off the ground,, yes, does it keep the skeeters out, most definately.

Both have their uses, and advantages. I like both of em.
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

Yep, just wait till you get out of it one day with a strong urg to mate and have long spines coming out of your back.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »