best camping foods

BdaddyG

best camping foods

Post by BdaddyG »

I know this has been discussed before, but list your favorite camp food. And some of you campfire gourmets (strider) post pics.

I'll start with turtles, I've done both chicken and beef
Very easy to make and transport.

Coat heavy duty alum. foil lightly with oil or spray with Pam.
Cube about 1/2 lbs. of meat (chicken, beef or pork) into 1 in cubes.
Cube potatos, dice onion and bell pepper.
Place meat in foil, put veggies (frozen veggies can be added also)
Salt, Pepper and season to taste. (for a little kick, try some Tony's)
Fold foil around to form a sealed "envelope" or "Turtle"
Turtle can be frozen at this point.
Place Turtle on coals and cover with more coals.
Cook for 30 to 45 minute or until meat is cooked (be sure meat is cooked, it can ruin a trip fast if not completely cooked.)
Open foil and place back on top of the coals to brown the meat if you desire.
Allow to cool slightly before eating. You can eat them right out of the foil or dump on a plate/bowl.

Frozen turtles placed in cooler also helps with cooling other stuff.
Simple, easy and fun for the kid in all of us.

NOTE: Having the veggies prepared for campfire construction is also an option. This is good for just incase you catch some fish. You can use this method of campfire baking of fish. I'm told you can do omlets this way, but haven't tried them yet.
Strider
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: best camping foods

Post by Strider »

I'm a fan of "turtles" too :D

Kim
traveling man

Post by traveling man »

S'mores go on every trip!

Roast a couple of marshmallow till they are a little burnt, then place them on a graham cracker, add a slab of chocolate then top off with another graham cracker, and you’ll have a delicious s’more. The heat from the marshmallow is suppose to melt the chocolate till they are gooey
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

Spuds and onions, salt and peppered with grilled pork chops rubbed w/ Tony C's or Lawry's.
Paddlefoot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Paddlefoot »

Of course, the day can't start without taquitos for breakfast......or so I thought! Now we make our egg mcmuffins one morning and tacos the next. The tacos can be a mix of just about any leftover meat from the weekend with potatoes and eggs. I'm not that picky! I've also been working on cast iron dutch oven cooking and have come up with a lot of good recipes that we've been eating. I carry 3 dutch ovens so I have the size that I need plus have one to make some dessert. Dutch oven meals can be as simple as the "turtle" ingredients, but cooked in the dutch oven....to as complicated as a cowboy pot roast with reduced wine sauce and potatoes, portabella mushrooms, carrots, celery and served with horseradish sauce. Desserts can be simple cobbler to something as complicated as a semi cheese cake with berries or cherries called "clafouti".

After dinner....I settle down to a Arturo Fuente Chateau Fuente and a bottle of Crown! :D

Life is good.
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Post by Randy »

If I am campground cooking, my favorite is beans and saltpork, and corn bread fresh from the oven.
or stuffed bell peppers
BdaddyG

Post by BdaddyG »

way to go Randy, :clap: :clap: now that is cookn
Sand Trout

Post by Sand Trout »

For an easy breakfast---

Hollow out half an orange. Crack an egg and pour it in there. Wrap in foil and place on last night's still-warm coals.
Drmsfish

Post by Drmsfish »

Awesome thread. I'm filing your turtle recipe. I'm thinking about making a big pot of duck gumbo and freezing it like you suggested. That's my only current contribution!
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

Bigrock wrote:Spuds and onions, salt and peppered with grilled pork chops rubbed w/ Tony C's or Lawry's.
Just a combination of thoughts...peel and slice a spud, slice a half onion and toss 'em together with salt and pepper. Put it on a square of foil, wrap and cook like a turtle ('bout an hour in the coals) one per person, right next to what ever meat you just grilled...it ain't Emeril, but it ain't bad!
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

Sand Trout wrote:For an easy breakfast---

Hollow out half an orange. Crack an egg and pour it in there. Wrap in foil and place on last night's still-warm coals.
:D Or, in the summer (High tomato season, a religous time of year, no doubt,) Hollow out a tomato, do the egg thing, dump in a 1/4 cup of jack cheese, sprinkle w/cayenne and follow Sand Trout's directions (2 per person, because none of us are either shy or tiny!). Decent!
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

:D A camper's suggestion: the cajun's are right...saltpepperandcayenne is all one word. Equal parts by volume of each in a shake takes care of all of your seasoning's needs in one shaker! Radical backpackers have been using this stuff for years!
Paddlefoot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Paddlefoot »

barditch wrote::D A camper's suggestion: the cajun's are right...saltpepperandcayenne is all one word. Equal parts by volume of each in a shake takes care of all of your seasoning's needs in one shaker! Radical backpackers have been using this stuff for years!
Wouldn't that basically be Tony's?
catchin'

Post by catchin' »

It has become a camping tradition that I make dump cobble. In fact it has become expected, but I don't mind one bit.
Over the past 6 years our camping trips have gone from us four (my family) to a semi family reunion of 27. I now make 3 dump cobblers a night. They are a perfect way to end an evening around the campfire.

Put foil in the bottom of the pot.
Dump in 2 cans of your favorite pie filling. (they all work great)
Spinkle in some cinnamon (no matter what type of pie filling)
Top with about 3/4 of a box of butter recipe cake mix.
DO NOT MIX
Top with 1 stick of butter cut in squares (do not skimp on the amount of butter)
Sprinkle with more cinnamon

Sit the pot just above the coals but not directly on the coals. At least 15 to 20 coals.
Put coals on the lid of the pot. At least 15 to 20.
Let it bake around 35 to 45 minutes, until cake mix top is bubling and lite brown. Most of the crust should be firm to the touch.

If possible ice cream is terrific with this.

Enjoy because Life is Good.
NTXAg
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by NTXAg »

we never called them Turtles, we called them chrome turds... classy I know, but what do you expect from a bunch of drunk Aggies...
Jerry Hamon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry Hamon »

Apple cobbler...

After a nice steak and baked potato...

catchin'

Post by catchin' »

Rev TCF wrote:Apple cobbler...
What is your recipe? I posted mine but I'm always looking for a better way of doing it.
Jerry Hamon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry Hamon »

Well.... it's mommas recipe so I'll have to ask her and then post it.
I think she actually used the Louisiana cobbler mix (next to the fish batter @ WallyWorld).
Gutter Girl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Gutter Girl »

OK, now y'all have gone and done it! Here I am, on an empty stomach, looking at the stuffed green pepper picture followed by the dump cobblers (I make them in the oven as dump cake!). I'm gonna have to break down and get a Dutch oven. I've been thinking about it for a while anyway. Oh yum! I've noticed just recently that TPWD has offered seminars at SPs on DO cooking. Might have to pick a park based on that!

Once at a park that had a burn ban on, I made s'mores with my gas Coleman - girl's gotta have her s'mores!
traveling man

Post by traveling man »

Does anyone remember the fried corn thing that was posted awhile back? I checked the recipes but I think it timed out.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

drop Strider a note on freshwater forum ,he is the one that posted that
Ron