Beat the heat

Paddlefoot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Beat the heat

Post by Paddlefoot »

How do you beat the heat when camping in the triple digit temps that we had so much of this summer?

I camped the weekend before last at Goose Island SP and the temps were BAD during the mid-day and afternoon. I spent my mornings fishing and obviously the water tends to cool things down a lot for that. By the time I got back to the camper, got cleaned up and changed, the temps were scorching! We were there for 4 days, so i went into town the first afternoon and bought some movie dvd's and we watched them each afternoon....in the air-conditioned camper. By the time the movie was over, the temps were starting to get to a little more reasonable level and it would be time to start working on supper (usually something cooked in the dutch oven). Obviously, you can read or take a nap, but I'm looking for other ways to kill a little time while the waiting for temps to drop.
4x4kayak2112
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Beat the heat

Post by 4x4kayak2112 »

You know, thats teh same question i was going to post....i thougth of a portable "a/c" and maybe a battery powered fan.
Renfish
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Renfish »

That's what we do. Fish the early morning, head back to the trailer for lunch and watch a movie, then back to fishing in the late afternoon/evening.
Paddlefoot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Paddlefoot »

I was having some serious problems cooling the little hybrid camper that we own. Basically, it's tough to air condition a TENT! I was talking to a couple at a state park back in May about that problem and they told me that when they used to own a pop-up, the bought a Pop-Up Gizmo. They explained it all to me and basically what it is is a an insulated blanket thats cut to fit the tent on your pop-up. It reflects the heat and makes it easier to cool. I went ahead and ordered one. While waiting for it to arrive, I bought a roll of the foil backed bubble wrap insulation and cut it to fit inside the zippered window flaps. Now I have eliminated about 80% of any sunlight hitting the tent's surface. It has lowered the temp in the tent area by about 15 degrees in the day so that the rest of the camper is easier to cool. If you're in a pop-up or a hybrid, I highly recommend these.
http://www.popupgizmos.com/

CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

Goose Island State Park in the summer. I have only one bit of advise, stay on the waterfront!!!!!!!! mucho cooler
friscotodd1

Post by friscotodd1 »

we use one of the cool dome tents from academy and it works pretty well. To help with ventillation we bought a box fan and stay in spots that have have electric during the summer.. I think for next year I may go ahead and get a protable AC unit...

I should point out that we are in the dallas area and do most of our summer camping around mineral wells or possum kingdom. The days get scorching but the humidity is pretty low so sweat can do its job... that makes a huge difference.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

My wife and I now beat the heat by spending most of the summer in the mountains in Montana or Northern NM. If we get warm in the cabin,........... we open a window...........

In my younger days (up till two years ago) I really enjoyed primitive camping with my PACK group. Trips like
Cedar bayou found me in my tent (the only shade around) next to a battery powered fan,sprinkling ice water on my body. It helped staying alive during the extreme heat of the day.
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

I still have this set up for truck tent camping that my daughter and I used to use at sites with elec.
it's a 9,000 btu unit that I removed the luvers from and rivited in a duct adapter (HomeDepot) then run insulated tubing thru the tent door (the insulation helps to make a nice tight fit) and into the back of a 1'x1' insulated atic box (the luvers that you see on your interior wall) which sits on the tent floor. The unit kept us under covers durring Jun./Aug. Texas nights many times. It makes Texas summer tent camping nights very comfortable. BTW .. the Equidome has a 7' ceiling and walls are nearly straight up/dwn. so very usable roomy 10x10 tent.

My daughter and I spent almost the whole month of July '03 at our favorite site in Junction. We got tired of buying so much ice so ran to the closest Wallyworld and bought a small Frig. for the campsite .. still use it in my storage unit.

Last edited by TDD on Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paddlefoot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Paddlefoot »

TD wrote:I still have this set up for truck tent camping that my daughter and I used to use at sites with elec.
it's a 9,000 btu unit that I removed the luvers from and rivited in a duct adapter (HomeDepot) then run insulated tubing thru the tent door (the insulation helps to make a nice tight fit) and into the back of a 1'x1' insulated atic box (the luvers that you see on your interior wall) which sits on the tent floor. The unit kept us under covers durring Jun./Aug. Texas nights many times. It makes Texas summer tent camping nights very comfortable.
Now that's thinking! But a room a/c for a tent? You could hang meat in there! :lol: