Fuel fittings

A&M18fisherman

Fuel fittings

Post by A&M18fisherman »

I know its not really kayak related but i didnt want to make a new account on some other forum but i figure one of yall might know. I recently acquired a 12ft V hull and a 5hp motor. i want to throw in an external fuel tank. The motor has a Chrysler fuel fitting on it and im wondering if it matters what kind of fitting is on the tank. Im trying to go with kind of a retro look since the motor is from early 70's and boat is mid 80's so i want to get one of those vintage metal gas tanks but im not seeing many available with Chrysler fittings.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Fuel fittings

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

A&M18fisherman wrote:I know its not really kayak related but i didnt want to make a new account on some other forum but i figure one of yall might know. I recently acquired a 12ft V hull and a 5hp motor. i want to throw in an external fuel tank. The motor has a Chrysler fuel fitting on it and im wondering if it matters what kind of fitting is on the tank. Im trying to go with kind of a retro look since the motor is from early 70's and boat is mid 80's so i want to get one of those vintage metal gas tanks but im not seeing many available with Chrysler fittings.
It will have to match the Chrysler fitting to plug into it but you can change the fittings on either end to match the other.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
TexasJim

Re: Fuel fittings

Post by TexasJim »

One of my first outboards in the '70's was a Chrysler 6(a miserable engine), and those Chrysler round quick-disconnects ate o-rings constantly. There's a reason no one uses that system anymore. If you can convert to Merc/Yamaha or OMC connections, you'll be time and money ahead. Those are readily available on the Internet. TexasJim