Anyone restored/rebuilt an old fiberglass skiff?

s1rGr1nG0

Anyone restored/rebuilt an old fiberglass skiff?

Post by s1rGr1nG0 »

I know this is a yak site, but, I've been looking at a bunch of restoration projects over at microskiff.com and now I have the bug to do one myself.

I am currently boat/yak-less and time is something I have plenty of. I think it would be very cool to restore an old 14-18 ft skiff and use it to pole the flats for reds.

Do you need any special skills, (which I have NONE of), to do this? Or, will patience and time suffice to get the job done?
I've seen some nice wooden yaks built here but it just doesn't appeal to me the way a skiff does.
LUISJG
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Anyone restored/rebuilt an old fiberglass skiff?

Post by LUISJG »

I reatored many boats. Been working on a 23 ft pilothouse
For the past 4 month. A small skiff should be easy to restore
And will give you plenty of satisfaction, have plan, dont rush and enjoy the
Process. Its relative easy
kneekap

Post by kneekap »

All you need is a bit of room, a random orbit sander, gallons of epoxy, and some determination!
Send us the photos.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Be sure and study some internet sites on working with fiberglass to save your lungs. Also techniques are better learned about on a computer than by trial and error. For me making fiberglass look decent turned out to be Black Magic. Making it strong was easy, making it nice was not.
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

Over the years, I have yerned for more than one of the skiffs that luisjg has brought back,to,life. Also over on the corpusfishing site, you can check out Towboattrash restoration project, one heck of a,job. Take your time and enjoy the finished product. For sure, it is one heck of a commitment!.......cC