Anyone built a pirogue?

jackh

Anyone built a pirogue?

Post by jackh »

I think I want the plans from Uncle Johns. This is my first time building a boat and fiberglassing.

http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/casey/default.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like that there is no thwart in the cockpit. I plan to use this for duck hunting and some camping on calm waters. I want to have an open cockpit to throw in some dekes, gun, blind bag, some camo burlap, and a 60lb retriever. I wanted to build a hybrid duck boat layout for a long time but this just seems like it would suit me better right now. The link I posted is my favorite one I found on the uncle johns website. Any tips or advice? Should I look at different plans? Thanks.
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Anyone built a pirogue?

Post by Phishtech »

JEMWatercraft.com. Look at the Touring Pirogue, i've built 2 of them. Excellent all around boat and easy to build.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Any pictures you could post? Is there enough room in the cockpit for duck hunting gear, 2 dozen dekes and a dog?
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

Yes, they'll easily hold up tp 500 lbs. if you don't like the Touring Pirogue they have the regular ones up to 15 ft long. Got some other models of boats too that'll meet your needs.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Did you make a thread with pictures when you built your boats that you could link on here? What other boats do you have in mind that would fit my needs? The only thing I like about Uncle Johns better is there is no thwarts so you have a completely open cockpit for gear and a dog. Are the JEM models structurally superior? What about tracking and stability? Thanks for your help.
KenCarter

Post by KenCarter »

Check out the "post your boat" thread in this forum for pictures of different pirogues.
neon14

Post by neon14 »

You cant go wrong with Jem Watercraft. I have built three of his boats and I tell you what...they are absolutely spectacular. There is something that he understands about boat design, hydrodynamics, or whatever it is that makes his boats paddle extremely well.
jackh

Post by jackh »

neon14 wrote:You cant go wrong with Jem Watercraft. I have built three of his boats and I tell you what...they are absolutely spectacular. There is something that he understands about boat design, hydrodynamics, or whatever it is that makes his boats paddle extremely well.
Thanks. Which of his boats have you built? Any build threads you can link on here? The JEM pirogues look more complicated but better designed than the uncle johns.
Texas Torpedo

Post by Texas Torpedo »

Have built 4 in the Uncle Johns style. I don't think you will go wrong with that design. I would use 14 feet as the min. It will not be as stable as a modern yak but after a few minutes you will get the hang of it. Sit as low as you can and still be comfortable. Tag up up if you have any questions. They are fun to build. Would build another but ain't got enough gas left in the tank for those kind of projects. Good luck.
daddyhoney

Post by daddyhoney »

I have built some of the Uncle John's Boats models and added flotation front and rear with access ports. One is cammo and one is red. Both hardly used and have foot rests, seats and paddles. I need space in the garage so call me if you want them at a bargain price. Gary in Baytown 281-691-3309
jackh

Post by jackh »

daddyhoney wrote:I have built some of the Uncle John's Boats models and added flotation front and rear with access ports. One is cammo and one is red. Both hardly used and have foot rests, seats and paddles. I need space in the garage so call me if you want them at a bargain price. Gary in Baytown 281-691-3309
Hey can you PM me pictures and a price?
jackh

Post by jackh »

I have started building a Hybrid NL duck boat specifically for duck season. It's kind of a beater boat but I am learning S&G and fiberglass in this build. Leaning towards a JEM pirogue for the next build, then building the gf a SOT kayak from JEM plans.